PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller for Nintendo Switch: Official GBAtemp Review

review_banner_power_a_zelda_edition_switch_controller.jpg

PowerA has created a number of Switch controllers, a few of which we've reviewed on GBAtemp. This time, we have a PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller, with a brand new design featuring Princess Zelda from Breath of the Wild. It's shaped more like an Xbox One controller than a Switch controller, but can it do an effective job at replacing a first-party offering?

:arrow: PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller for Nintendo Switch: Official GBAtemp Review

Reactions: KiiWii and NoNAND

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Might add this one to my collection of pro controllers as well. Not a fan of princess Zelda but i really like the design of this one
Much better than the big and bulky switch gamecube battle pads made by hori

Daisy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But is it any good? My wired power-a controller is garbage
I've heard a lot of people complain about PowerA controllers, but I've never had any issues myself, even with my wired controllers (except for the fact they're MicroUSB...).

I think it's fine, myself, but I still prefer my Pro Controller.

Reactions: NoNAND

Satellizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've heard a lot of people complain about PowerA controllers, but I've never had any issues myself, even with my wired controllers (except for the fact they're MicroUSB...).

I think it's fine, myself, but I still prefer my Pro Controller.

My powerA controller works, it just is loud and feels like cheap crap. Reminds me of the madcats controller i had on the gamecube back in the day

Reactions: Kioku

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yesterday i played Cuphead on switch using dualshock 3!

when u can use ur ps3/4 controller with magic NS, Who needs third party unlicensed controller??

ssssss13

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you managed to turn on the switch with this controller? I have it paired but it doesnt work, I have to manually turn on the switch and then press home button in controller

Daisy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will pair it again or something...Thank you
I wasn't actually expecting it to work, since someone in the thread I made for the announcement of this controller mentioned that third-party controllers don't seem to be able to wake the system.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will say that it doesn't always wake the first time I press home. Often I'll need to press a second time. It does work though, and yes this is a feature most unlicensed wireless controllers lack. None of 8bitdo's can do this for example.

Daisy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will say that it doesn't always wake the first time I press home. Often I'll need to press a second time. It does work though, and yes this is a feature most unlicensed wireless controllers lack. None of 8bitdo's can do this for example.

I have to do that with my Pro-Controller too, though.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i dont get it, they're so expensive.
for just a little more, you can just get a real pro controller.
only way i'd see these as an actual alternative would be at half price

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got rid of all my Power A controllers. They all had faulty left sticks. Between that and Power A's inability to reply to my messages in a timely fashion I just gave up on them. It's a shame because they make beautiful controllers but beautiful controllers that don't work are just pretty paperweights.

burial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just get the pro controller you'll thank me later

Pro controller is not worth the price until they fix the "dpad" its horrible as of now.

I have the BOTW themed PowerA controller and it was good, besides feeling cheap, but for some reason now I cant get my Switch to detect it anymore....

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Pro controller is not worth the price until they fix the "dpad" its horrible as of now.

I have the BOTW themed PowerA controller and it was good, besides feeling cheap, but for some reason now I cant get my Switch to detect it anymore....
None of the pro controllers I've owned has a bad dpad .. A lot of these videos that allegedly show the issue also show the person tapping the corner ..

burial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of the pro controllers I've owned has a bad dpad .. A lot of these videos that allegedly show the issue also show the person tapping the corner ..

The dpad on mine is the same as the 4 buttons on the left joycon....I can push down the entire dpad....its just a "dpad" placed on top of 4 buttons, nothing like past Nintendo controllers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over