Hardware Power Strip Issues. How to fix them?

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry for posting this stupid question. But I need advice.
I have a Power Strip, with 6 conectors.
I only use one at a time to charge my stuff when needed.
I've started to notice some problems about it. And I need to know if this will harm my computer or something else, and if you guys could tell me why this is happening.

About three days ago, I connected my Lap as it needed to be charged in order to continue working.
So, I plugged in my Lap charger to the Power Strip, turned it on... and nothing happened.
1 minute or so later, I saw the Charging Icon. Once it was charged, I turned off the Power Strip, disconnected the cable from my lap, and it keept "charging" for 3 minutes. The "Charging" icon didn't disappeared even though I had nothing connected to my Lap.

Today, I charged my 3DS, turned it on, and while indeed was turned on, the screen was completely black. With no sound.
I thought this was an SD Card problem. So I took it out, blow on it, inserted it again, turned on my 3DS and did the same. Black screen. So, i thought I should just wait for the screen to respond. I waited, and waited and waited, and nothing. I turned off my 3DS, and thought it was a problem with my cartridge (I have a DS game on it all the time, just to avoid dust from collecting in the cartridge slot) so I removed the cartridge, turned on my 3DS and the same thing happened.
I unplugged my 3DS from this same Power Strip, and voilá, it was normal as always.

Literally, 4 minutes ago, when attempting to write this post about the Power Strip, my Lap notified me that it needed to be charged. So I did. Plugged the cable to my lap, then to the Power Strip, and turned on the Power Strip. My laptop froze almost instantly. Waited for it to respond, but nothing happened.
Had to hard reset my lap. I just lost the work I was doing with it.

Why is this happening?

Last edited by Gizametalman,

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
power strip dead, just replace it for peace of mind to behonest, possible overvoltage?
MAYBE YES! That's really plausible, as I lend my Power Strip to my family to connect the oven, and the instant cofee machine, and sometimes their cellphones.

So, this IS a problem with the Power Strip?
Will see if I can buy one today in the street market.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
unless you have one with intergrated circuitry.

The surge protection ones will have such a circuit in them, some of the failure modes of which I can see being what the OP is describing.

For the most part though as others have said they tend to be a handful of wires and not a lot else. I see Mexico uses the same awful plug type as the US (give or take earths on one site) and I have had many issues with those making poor connections over the years so it could also be that.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Generally they are made of 3 long metal bars (one for each pin), which are easier to deform than regular wall sockets - and a recipe for loose contacts (especially if they've overheated in the past, a self-reinforcing problem)

I would open it up, check for oxidation/carbon on the surface plugs actually connect and sandpaper them clean, then slightly tighten the connections - assuming you can get it open without a hammer or a Cobra 6, which is not a given...

It's also hard to imagine vastly different hardware/OSes crashing due to too frequent power source switching, although I bet it wasn't a design goal :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...