Discord

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Use? NDS games and likely some homebrew, notably emulation. Maybe movies and other media.
Price Range? Cheaper would be better, but I don't want to regret being cheap later. Uder $40-$50 would be nice.
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable.
Special features? Capable of running emulators for other systems. Nice GUI, supporting media well. I don't know the stuff well enough to say for sure. Something capable of supporting stuff I might be interested in later, so I guess just high homebrew compatiblility. Also capable of support reasonable sized mini SD like 4gb+ hopefully.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I've only really looked into the R4, since it's all everyone talks about among the people I know, but it seems like a bad idea after reading around here, so my mind is open. But it looks like Acecard 2 or CyloDS?
Other? Preferably purchasable from somewhere in Canada, not needed, but preferred.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? No.
Support slot-2 rumble packs? No.
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? no.

I'm pretty easy with this, I don't want to regret it, want it to last, etc. Be nice if there was some kind of emulation for GBA for slot 1, but it seems there's not, but I don't care enough about GBA games to put out any extra cash for more hardware. New to this though.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
spritecan said:
Use?
Playing Nds Games mostly. GBA would be a bonus if included in the right deal but definitely not needed.
Price Range?
The prices are set at a local store. (Under $50)
Slot 1/2?
Built in or expandable memory?
Expandable
Special features?
I am too new to answer this one. No idea.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular
Local Store offers R4+2gb ($30), SUPERCARD+2G($45), DSTT+ 2G ($30) and ACEKARD 2 +2G ($35).
Other?
I have really limited knowledge and currently do not own a DS. I am leaning towards a Acekard 2 at the moment.

I read some previous answers but I am still unsure about my scenario. Thank you in advance.
Acekard2. Maybe combined with an EZ 3 in 1 for GBA. If you don't need the cards right now, you can get them much cheaper at dealextreme.

QUOTE(Discord @ Dec 26 2008, 11:10 AM) Use? NDS games and likely some homebrew, notably emulation. Maybe movies and other media.
Price Range? Cheaper would be better, but I don't want to regret being cheap later. Uder $40-$50 would be nice.
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable.
Special features? Capable of running emulators for other systems. Nice GUI, supporting media well. I don't know the stuff well enough to say for sure. Something capable of supporting stuff I might be interested in later, so I guess just high homebrew compatiblility. Also capable of support reasonable sized mini SD like 4gb+ hopefully.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I've only really looked into the R4, since it's all everyone talks about among the people I know, but it seems like a bad idea after reading around here, so my mind is open. But it looks like Acecard 2 or CyloDS?
Other? Preferably purchasable from somewhere in Canada, not needed, but preferred.

Support slot-2 GBA? No.
Support slot-2 rumble packs? No.
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? no.

I'm pretty easy with this, I don't want to regret it, want it to last, etc. Be nice if there was some kind of emulation for GBA for slot 1, but it seems there's not, but I don't care enough about GBA games to put out any extra cash for more hardware. New to this though.
Acekard2 for you. Especially since you want a nice menu and good media capabilitys. Regarding homebrew all cards are pretty much the same now adays (since auto DLDI patching became standard).
Afaik some emulators take adavantage of the RAM that GBA-Expansion-packs like the EZ 3 in 1 provide, so that's something you might want to look into. Though I really never used emulators on my DS, so I can't say for certain.

bryloom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
@bryloom: STAY AWAY FROM R4, and most likely the DSTT. Go with AceKard 2 + EZ Flash 3 in 1, that's the best solution. I guess you could always check locally to pay with cash, although they generally price it higher than it's worth.
Funny thing is, I already have a regular R4 which I bought a 4 gb micro sdhc for, whether the R4 would support it or not. I found out that it didn't, so now i'm in need of a card that supports sdhc (I will not return the micro sd, I really want 4 gb on my flashcart). My question is, does the acekard support sdhc and will it be an easy transition from my r4 to an acekard?

magisbladius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games
Cheap
Slot 1, or 2 if it supports CF
"Built in or expandable memory?" Built-in, unless there's a cheaper one that supports CF.
GBA compatibility would be nice as an extra.
I don't know about special features.
No particular flash cards.

forza11

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Use?
just for DS games
Price Range?
cheap, it's for my GF's DS lite, she just bought it.
Slot 1/2?
slot 1 i guess
expandable
Special features?
good support for all DS games, and easy to use menu
the R4 is listed very cheap now, is this still a good option? I have a cyclo evo myself which works great. but a lot of stuff that she won't use and its quite expensive. so the R4 looked fine, but i'm not sure if it still supports all the games.
Other?

Support slot-2 GBA?
dont care
Support slot-2 rumble packs?
dont care
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)?
dont care

magisbladius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Hmmmm tough call magis, M3CF and SCCF support CF cards (as the name implies), but I don't know if you want to pick them solely because they support CF cards. It'd be much smarter to buy a MicroSD flash cart and upgrade to MicroSD memory cards, I mean 2GB memory cards are like $6-7 now...

I still have the M3CF, but apparently it broke -- which is why I came to ask. Any suggestions for non-CF?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
forza11 said:
the R4 is listed very cheap now, is this still a good option?uuuuuhm no, as allready said a few posts above yours.
Just get her an Acekard2. You can get one for $13 at dealextreme.

QUOTE(magisbladius @ Dec 27 2008, 06:33 PM) I still have the M3CF, but apparently it broke -- which is why I came to ask. Any suggestions for non-CF?
Since you had an M3 CF and where hapy with it I guess you don't want any of the fance features, like Real Tie Save, so Acekard2.

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
forza11 said:
Use?
just for DS games
Price Range?
cheap, it's for my GF's DS lite, she just bought it.
Slot 1/2?
slot 1 i guess
expandable
Special features?
good support for all DS games, and easy to use menu
the R4 is listed very cheap now, is this still a good option? I have a cyclo evo myself which works great. but a lot of stuff that she won't use and its quite expensive. so the R4 looked fine, but i'm not sure if it still supports all the games.
The Edge has a firmware almost identical to the Cyclo minus most of the features.

The Acekard is also a cheaper option, being only $10 on DX, just avoid R4.

blader0314

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use?Games
Price Range?$35 or less
Slot 1/2?Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory?Expandable
Special features?Real time save, AR cheats, Custom GUI, Emulators, SDHC
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularEDGE, DSTT, Acekard 2
Other?

Support slot-2 GBA?Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs?don't care
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)?don't care

kenman1

Trophies
Website
www.focalprice.com
XP
Country
United States
use? games homebrew moonshell
Price Range? no more than 25$
Slot 1/2? slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
GBA compatibility? na
Special features? sdhc updates good team who would support the flashcards
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? acekard-edge

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
@kenman1: Acekard 2, unless you're really careless with your items, because it is more vulnerable than the edge. Personally, I prefer the Acekard 2 GUI over the Edge though.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
(been a while since i filled one of these out, lol)

Use? GBA games
Price Range? preferably < £30
Slot 1/2? 2
Built in or expandable memory? expandable if possible, although built in is fine (although i would prefer it to writeable in linux)
Special features? "lite sized" the same size as the lite's blanking plate
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular none really
Other? already have an ez 3 - in -1, fed up with having to wait for the painfully slow NOR blanking and writing with big games like kingdom hearts

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory? I would prefer one with a microSD or similar. preferably micro SD, as i have a spare microSD card after upgrading from 2gb to 8gb.

oh, and I need to actually be able to buy it, from a shop that is either from the UK or is used to shipping internationally (like DX is). as a lot of slot 2s are now discontinued

thanks in advance!

Puma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Homebrew games and media.
Price Range? Under 50 USD.
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? MicroSD, but onboard would be good too
GBA compatibility? Doesn't matter
Special features?
-Built in cheat engine
-Music/media player
-Auto Patching thingie
-Supports AT LEAST download play, wifi is a bonus
-SDHC support(not 100% necessary)
-Come with a reader (again, not necessary, but would be good)
-Slow motion/Speed up (not necessary, but would be a huge plus)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular iTouchDS looks nice, but so does CycloDS evolution

KainRacure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Backup NDS and GBA games, Emulation of SNES Games VIA Homebrew, Multimedia, Homebrew, Internet
Price Range? 70 bux or under but I have more to spend if need be
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable prefered
Special features?
Built in Cheat engine
Supports download play and wifi would be nice but isn't 100% needed
Obviously good support is prefered.
Built in Multimedia would be nice.
Any other bells and whistles (I love fancy tech stuff)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular M3Real with the RAM and GBA packs But I'm unsure.

Support slot-2 GBA? YES
Support slot-2 rumble packs? not needed
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? YES

KainRacure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that but I'm willing to tinker with it and put up with some bugs and if it annoys me too much ill just stick to emulating on the PC.

So what card U think is right for me?

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had an R4 for a few years now, but it's showing signs of dying on me, so I am in the market for a new card.

Use? Games/Homebrew
Price Range? As cheap as possible.
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? MicroSD
GBA compatibility? I have an ezflash 3 in one expansion cart.
Special features? I would like to be able to read text files without exiting a game. I like a simple and fast menu, so I can start my games quickly. I want a well-supported cart which is updated to support the latest games.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are there any others besides CycloDS that has a text reader? I'll probably go with that one I guess, but the high price compared to some other carts makes me a bit hesitant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1