OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
review.gif
GBAtemp's acekard 2 Review
Official GBAtemp Review

Team Acekard has really refined their offerings from the original acekard cart offered back in 2006. Now they've essentially taken their flagship product, the RPG, and ripped out the flash memory. Does acekard now have a formidable foe to the established brands in the budget market? Or is this gimped RPG going the way of Alf and "pogs"? Find out in the review below!

Feel free to leave your comments and questions in response to this thread.

icon11.gif
GBAtemp acekard 2 Review
icon11.gif
acekard Homepage

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like a pretty great cart. I'm debating to get one of these or the RPG. I'll probably pay a little more and get the RPG.

I really like the GUI, and all the options in the Start Menu. Hoping it gets the more advanced features that a couple other carts have.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Price difference between this and the RPG is 30-40USD in case you were wondering.

I also apologize for how poorly written this review is. Unfortunately its the best I can muster right now, so bare with it.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
The only reason the cheat menu doesnt have touch screen support is because when I made it i didn't really have touch support in mind, I may in the future add touch support but i like it as it is at the moment, about the extra features those will come eventually.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You really should use thumbnail images instead of making the full size images small with size tags. The page would load about 50x faster, and that's not an exaggeration. You have images that are over 1200KB displayed at the size of a 20KB thumbnail.

Real thunbnails look better than browser scaling anyway.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looks great. Another fine job Urza. So I guess it is safe to say anything the AK2 has right now the RPG already has too right? What I mean is, the last time I checked MKDS DL play with RPG's 4.06 firmware it didn't work but now with 4.08 already out and your review of the AK2 passing MKDS DL play I want to know if the RPG also offers this better DL play support.

EDIT: Urza happy 3000th post.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slowking said:
What is the performance with the castlevanias? I've read that they lag even with fast SD(HC) cards...
Only the intro video.

Lagged with 1/2GB Japanese Kingston; played fine with a 4GB Class 6 A-Data MicroSDHC,

Psy-Phi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping this would have the opensource OS too
frown.gif
. Still, if I can't find an AceKard RPG in a US retailer in the coming months I may get this anyway. I dig the GUI, and don't really want the features that the Cyclo has over this.

C'mon US retailers >_

neonix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The acekards are really nice. If I was to get one, it'd be the ZRPG though. But I'm waiting to see if it can catch up with all of the Cyclo's *exclusive* features. For now, my R4 is still truckin

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
It really is impressive
I had someone come over today that wanted 4 flash cards for his kids. I set up 4 Acekards for him and gave him a run down in a couple of minutes. He was a happy chap.

My only suggestion to AceKard is to make their website less Chinese, or split it into 2.
Chinese and English on the same page looks too confusing to me

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Woah, it's pretty good for a budget cart.

Edit: Okay, now I'm waiting for M3's budget cart review and I'll buy whichever that's better.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Urza said:
Slowking said:
What is the performance with the castlevanias? I've read that they lag even with fast SD(HC) cards...
Only the intro video.

Lagged with 1/2GB Japanese Kingston; played fine with a 4GB Class 6 A-Data MicroSDHC,
Well that's good to know.
But could anyone that has it allready test the AK2 with a Class 4 SDHC and these games? I'm just curios since Class 4 cards are much more cummon.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think it would be worth mentioning under cons that it isn't open source, since the AKRPG was, and they're basically the same minus the NAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head