Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really know nothing about them.. tried some research.. I was looking at the EZ Flash or Ewin and the older supercards (mini and SD).. though I'm not sure if my supercard SDone can act as a passme for the older Supercard slot 2s..

alwin

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hello there, i am new in this community, i found this forum before few weeks straight after i buy my DS Lite , im reading your posts really carefully and i was enjoying your site so i join your family, glad to be here.

After i read so many reviews for carts i can't choose the best one for me so im here to ask your help.

Use? Games/Homebrew/Media/Web Browser
Price Range? 100 dollars (or less hehe)
Slot 1/2? slot 1 (if in need to use both for more futures will be fine)
Built in or expandable memory? either
GBA compatibility? Yes
Special features? Good quality/Clean Easy GUI/Saving Games.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: Nope

Thank you
smile.gif

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
k3rizz3k said:
Use? GBA roms
Price Range? Not much of an issue really, would like fairly cheap though.
Slot 1/2? Slot 2
Built in or expandable memory? Either
Special features? Unsure.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular EZFlash 3in1, eWin GBA expansion, SuperCard MiniSD, SuperCard Lite
Other? I have a Supercard DSOne SDHC (New version) And I'm mainly wanting a GBA pack that has good compatibility with GBA games. I guess I've resigned the fact that I wanted something with a real time clock, as it seems I can't find one that might with with the supercard. I've never messed with slot 2 devices before, so I honestly don't know what to get.. I have looked at the supercard offerings as well.. Someone shed some light? I honestly do NOT plan on using it for the DS browser ram. And I don't need rumble.

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory? Either, expandable would be nice, but i have a feeling, that what I want isn't expandable. If there is an expandable one with good compatibility of GBA roms lemme know.

*edit*
Yeah Real Time Clock isn't important. Realised not many games I'd play use it.
Ez Flash V 3 in 1 is the best out there imo. btw. there is no Slot-2 out there that has RTC. The only game that comes to mind that needs it anyway is Pokemon Ruby and Saphire for the berrys and you can really do this in Pokemon D/P.

Echo said:
Slowking said:
bullfrogegg8 said:
I got an acekard 2 in june and it died on me. I am interested in replacing it but I do not want another acekard. I am looking for something that will work with the acekard save files. I would like a reliable flash cart that I could buy from Deal Extreme. What should I get?
A new Acekard2. Yeah they had bad batches at the time that broke down. You just had bad luck. Now they are abolutely stable and cost like $13.

Well, I guess he should just try another flashcart. Maybe the EDGE?
Why get a flashcard that has less features and is more expensive?

QUOTE(alwin @ Nov 17 2008, 02:17 PM)
Hello there, i am new in this community, i found this forum before few weeks straight after i buy my DS Lite , im reading your posts really carefully and i was enjoying your site so i join your family, glad to be here.

After i read so many reviews for carts i can't choose the best one for me so im here to ask your help.

GBA compatibility? Yes

Thank you
smile.gif
Well for that kind of money you can get any flashcard you want
biggrin.gif

But you don't seem to need special features, like Reatime save, so I would go with an Acekard2. Even if you get another card later, you haven't lost much money, since it's only $13.
For Web Browser support you would need an Slot-2 expansion like the EZ V 3 in 1.

LunacyVII

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games, mostly
Price Range? Doesn't matter much, so long as it's cheaper than a handful of DS games...
Slot 1/2? 1, I can't see myself buying a second part for gba games, but if it can play them on its own I might do that
Built in or expandable memory? I already have a 2 gb kingston microsd, and I like it a fair bit, so expandable
Special features? Not really needed, but I'd probably use them if they were there
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I've been sorta looking into Acekard 2 and DSTT, since I've heard good things (from here, lol)
Other? Basically, I have an R4 right now, but when I started looking around to get one as a gift for a friend, I saw a couple of people say both here and on r4ds-forums.com that it's nearly impossible to find a real one, plus there haven't been updates for a long time. I have a frequent problem with games not loading (by that I mean that I'll move to a new area or something, and the screen will stay black), and once a save file got corrupted on me. I assumed this comes from the fact that I play at work, and have to close it frequently, saving or loading or whatever. Could be I just have a nice clone, who knows. If using YSMENU would fix that, then I might just do that and just get a new one for my friend.

So, long story short, looking at upgrading for myself, but for the friend being user friendly is important. If a new skin or something I could do myself would help (YSMenu?) would solve the problem, then I'll do that. Sorry for being wordy, but the more information the better, usually.

alwin

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Slowking said:
alwin said:

GBA compatibility? Yes

Thank you
smile.gif
Well for that kind of money you can get any flashcard you want
biggrin.gif

But you don't seem to need special features, like Reatime save, so I would go with an Acekard2. Even if you get another card later, you haven't lost much money, since it's only $13.
For Web Browser support you would need an Slot-2 expansion like the EZ V 3 in 1.

Thank you i was thinking for to buy one Acekard2 or CycloDs or EDGE if is that cheap as you say then i would give a try

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Play games, use homebrew (emulators and media tools in particular).

Price Range? 20-35 USD

Memory? Expandable memory. Will probably purchase later.

Special Features? Regular updates (at least once every other month), will last for a good while, clean GUI, great compatibility with games and homebrew, download play support, GBA support with memory pack (doesn't have to be built in)

Particular Flash carts? I'm looking into the DSTT, Acekard 2, and EDGE. Have my eye on the EZ Flash 3-in-1 for memory.

Other? The ability to skin easily is preferred, but not required. It would also be nice to have browser support for when I eventually get a memory pack.

I know that the DSTT doesn't have any real sorting features when it comes to organizing your files. If it's possible to add better organization via homebrew or firmware, please let me know.

Anthony2oo5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? To play games mainly. Any extra features would be a bonus

Price Range? $100

Slot 1/2? Think I want 1 lol, what evers best though.

Built in or expandable memory? Expandable (but if built in is best I can sacrifice)

Special features? It works
biggrin.gif
also frequent updates would be nice.

Any flashcards you are looking at in particular R4DS (Only because its the only one I know. Read reviews on here not tog et one so thats why im here) Seen acekard2 thrown around a lot and also CycloDs.

Other? Basicly I just want it to play games. As above I was looking at getting the R4DS but after some research I have seen they are not made any more, and full of fakes ect. Seen the other two names above used around lately.

If you could answer my request about that would be great. Please note im not limited to the selection above, these are just the ones I have heard about. Im open to new ideas.

Thanks very much for your time.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wowz. That's a lot xDD

Requios said:
Use? Play games, use homebrew (emulators and media tools in particular).

Price Range? 20-35 USD

Memory? Expandable memory. Will probably purchase later.

Special Features? Regular updates (at least once every other month), will last for a good while, clean GUI, great compatibility with games and homebrew, download play support, GBA support with memory pack (doesn't have to be built in)

Particular Flash carts? I'm looking into the DSTT, Acekard 2, and EDGE. Have my eye on the EZ Flash 3-in-1 for memory.

Other? The ability to skin easily is preferred, but not required. It would also be nice to have browser support for when I eventually get a memory pack.

I know that the DSTT doesn't have any real sorting features when it comes to organizing your files. If it's possible to add better organization via homebrew or firmware, please let me know.

AceKard 2 or EDGE would be both good. Since DSTT isn't very good since it sorta by folders and dates added. I prefer it to be organized by alphabetically.

AceKard 2 has clips so I would be carfull with it. And there were also bad batches which should also be resolved by now.

EDGE is similar to a CycloDS and a R4DS. The GUI is similar to R4DS and heard that the flashcart looks like the CycloDS. I would go with either. Both are very good flashcarts. And since AceKard 2 and EDGE are under $20 it makes your price ranger even better.

You can get it here.

AceKard 2 ( Compact Edition ) No TF Reader. $12.53 This one should have the least amount of chance to be faulty.

AceKard 2 ( With TF Reader ) $13.24 This one is older than the first one. I would recoment to get a TF reader that is branded. It would be less risk of your SD card to be corrupted.

EDGE $19.44 Most expensive. But well worth your money.

QUOTE(Anthony2oo5 @ Nov 18 2008, 03:12 PM) Use? To play games mainly. Any extra features would be a bonus

Price Range? $100

Slot 1/2? Think I want 1 lol, what evers best though.

Built in or expandable memory? Expandable (but if built in is best I can sacrifice)

Special features? It works
biggrin.gif
also frequent updates would be nice.

Any flashcards you are looking at in particular R4DS (Only because its the only one I know. Read reviews on here not tog et one so thats why im here) Seen acekard2 thrown around a lot and also CycloDs.

Other? Basicly I just want it to play games. As above I was looking at getting the R4DS but after some research I have seen they are not made any more, and full of fakes ect. Seen the other two names above used around lately.

If you could answer my request about that would be great. Please note im not limited to the selection above, these are just the ones I have heard about. Im open to new ideas.

Thanks very much for your time.

As you have just said, an R4DS isnt produced. So that means it's being cloned. So no R4DS.

AceKard 2 and CycloDS are both very good flashcarts. Both GUIs are very clean. But Cyclo is better.

It's more reliable and the people at Team Cyclo would reply would reply to you more actively as I have heard. It's pricey but well worth your money. It has the most features and many people prefer it. It's only the price that is the problem.

So far I am running out of time. So I will tell you more about other flashcarts. Just PM me and I will reply once I have the time.

You can get the CycloDS at either DealWoot.com or RealHotStuff.com

Both are sites many people buy from. They are trustworthy and they shouldnt scam you.

- Echo

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
Acekard 2, I think would be the better choice, after all their bad batches the 2.1 (black pcb) version has been released, which seems to be quite reliable. Has nice GUI, all the key features all for a fraction of the price of a CycloDS.

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, Echo. I decided to go with the Acekard 2. Just bought it this morning. Paid for the faster shipping, since I was able to afford it. Now I just can't wait for it to get here. I'm so excited!
smile.gif

PodCopter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Homebrew and Games
Price Range? 70$USD
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable
Special features? None in particular
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS, Acekard 2, with EZ3+1
Other? Preferably one that's updated and will work well with slot 2 devices

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Yes
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Yes

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
Well you seem to already be looking at the right flashcarts, both will support slot 2 devices (Acekard 2 if you have AKAIO). Of course, CycloDS is by far the more popular and reliable of the two but coming at a very costly price. If price is not an issue go with cycloDS, otherwise i would recommend the Acekard 2, it's a great cart given consideration for its cost. As for slot 2 cards... I'm not too sure... but the Ez flash V 3 in 1 seems pretty popular these days...

Hope this helps =]

PodCopter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShAdOwFuRi said:
Well you seem to already be looking at the right flashcarts, both will support slot 2 devices (Acekard 2 if you have AKAIO). Of course, CycloDS is by far the more popular and reliable of the two but coming at a very costly price. If price is not an issue go with cycloDS, otherwise i would recommend the Acekard 2, it's a great cart given consideration for its cost. As for slot 2 cards... I'm not too sure... but the Ez flash V 3 in 1 seems pretty popular these days...

Hope this helps =]

Yes, that did help. Thank you.

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Use? Commercial games
Price Range? less than a 100
Slot 1/2? slot-1
Built in or expandable memory? need Micro SDHC
Special features? Micro SD HC, easily skinnable
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular nope, reason why I write here
Other? UPDATED!!!!!!! I got an R4 and pissed about lack of updates, I want to switch...
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes I own an EZ-Flash 3in1
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Yes I own an EZ-Flash 3in1
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Yes I own an EZ-Flash 3in1

I have an R4 and the lack of updates on it... since bloody ages... has pushed me to switch card... all the good games doesnt run on R4 anymore...

I dont need all the options... why the hell would I use Slow-mo in a game? I want Cheat support, boot games quickly, no need to patch Homebrew... and BONUS if the card's menu is easily skinnable...

I got my nieces and Nephew EZ-Flash V+ It's a decent card, I see a LOT of updates coming out... but the menu is ugly as hell, complicated to skin, and roms takes lotsa times to load (10-30 seconds).

I got my mom an AK2, it looks nice... but doesnt seem to be skinnable too much, and I dont see too many updates for it coming out...

People seem to like the Cyclo a lot... I never seen it in action... dunno much about it... I see a lot of skins for so it's a good thing... but I dont know about the frequency of the updates that comes out for it...

I was always sold to M3 long ago... but since they've cut support to the M3 Simply and the M3 Real kinda sucks big time IMO.... I've let them down... I then discovered R4 which gt me hooked... but you know how that turns out...

As for the other cards, never heard of them... at all... Edge? DSTT? M3's iTouch?

Thanks for the help!

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slave said:
Use? Commercial games
Price Range? less than a 100
Slot 1/2? slot-1
Built in or expandable memory? need Micro SDHC
Special features? Micro SD HC, easily skinnable
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular nope, reason why I write here
Other? UPDATED!!!!!!! I got an R4 and pissed about lack of updates, I want to switch...
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes I own an EZ-Flash 3in1
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Yes I own an EZ-Flash 3in1
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Yes I own an EZ-Flash 3in1

I have an R4 and the lack of updates on it... since bloody ages... has pushed me to switch card... all the good games doesnt run on R4 anymore...

I dont need all the options... why the hell would I use Slow-mo in a game? I want Cheat support, boot games quickly, no need to patch Homebrew... and BONUS if the card's menu is easily skinnable...

I got my nieces and Nephew EZ-Flash V+ It's a decent card, I see a LOT of updates coming out... but the menu is ugly as hell, complicated to skin, and roms takes lotsa times to load (10-30 seconds).

I got my mom an AK2, it looks nice... but doesnt seem to be skinnable too much, and I dont see too many updates for it coming out...

People seem to like the Cyclo a lot... I never seen it in action... dunno much about it... I see a lot of skins for so it's a good thing... but I dont know about the frequency of the updates that comes out for it...

I was always sold to M3 long ago... but since they've cut support to the M3 Simply and the M3 Real kinda sucks big time IMO.... I've let them down... I then discovered R4 which gt me hooked... but you know how that turns out...

As for the other cards, never heard of them... at all... Edge? DSTT? M3's iTouch?

Thanks for the help!

Aight. So you want a flashcart that is:

- Easily Skinnable
- Can Read SDHC
- Doesn't load roms slow
- Compatible with your EZ-Flash 3-in-1
- Updates Come Daily

If by a chance, you want to be able to read your .sav files, then this would be considered an extra feature.

From my knowledge, here are the flashcarts I would reccomend:

- EDGE
- CycloDS
- DSTT

About CycloDS:
EDGE and CycloDS have an excactly same GUI. The beggining is similar to the R4DS GUI but after it'll be different. CycloDS is compatible with your EZ-Flash 3-in-1 from what I have been reading. It has Slow-Mo and a few other extra features you won't see in other flashcarts, but this is worth the money you will be paying. It supports SDHC so if you want 4GB or more, it shouldn't be a problem. ( Just don't go over 8GB. I just don't know the results xPP ). It shouldn't be hard to skin and if you want to make a custom skin, you can use this useful tool called CycloEdit. You can download it here at GBAtemp. You can buy it at:

- RealHotStuff.com
- DealWoot.com

CycloEdit Link: CycloEdit V0.99.5b

About EDGE:
EDGE has a GUI similar to CycloDS. It just doesn't have the same features as the CycloDS. Just get this flashcart if you don't want to spend as much as you would for the CycloDS. It doesn't have Slow-Mo for example, but seeing as you said you don't need that, then it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing different is that it has a Cheat message the always pops up and says " Would you like to enable cheats" It was something like that xDD Supports SDHC from what I have read from the review ( Up to 32GB But still wouldn't go over 8GB ) I think the CycloDS and EDGE use the same Skins, but I will check later to be sure. You can but it at:

- DealExtreme.com

About DSTT:
DSTT has a okay GUI. The way it gets sorted is by date. So the older roms are first and the newer roms are last. Not alphbetically. It supports SDHC as well, and it also has a skinning program. Has many skins to choose from just as the CycloDS and EDGE do. It doesn't have the extra features the CycloDS does, but is the cheapest flashcart out. The skinning program is called DSTT/TTDS Skin Customiser. You can buy the DSTT at:

-DealExtreme.com

DSTT/TTDS Skin Customiser Link: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1646

Hope this helps.

- Echo.

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
How about the updates... thats what I'm most interested in... the maker's support... there's a few newer games I really want to play but the R4 doesnt boot them... I need a strong support and Every games running...

Oh and about SDHC cards... any "big" difference between classes (2 to 6) running on the cards you mentionned?

Thanks!

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
on the SDHC I think class 4/6 will be fine. Some people find 2 fine, whilst some people find it laggs a little. Class4/6 should have no problems

Grimm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Mostly emulation related homebrew, possibility of a game here or there
Price Range?~$50 give or take $10
Slot 1/2?Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory?Expandable
Special features?Movie and music support would be nice but aren't necessary
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularCycloDS or R4DS
Other?Needs to be easy to use, have good speed and battery life

Support slot-2 GBA?No
Support slot-2 rumble packs?No
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)?No

I'd prefer something with SDHC support but SD alone should be OK too. I've noticed that the R4DS III (Clone) has SDHC support and is considerably cheaper than the CycloDS, how does it stack up versus the R4DS and the CycloDS? I've also read that the battery life with the R4DS is like 2 hours of play which isn't nearly enough. All of this is making me lean towards the more expensive and seemingly more useful, reliable and ultimately better CycloDS but i'd rather not drop the extra dough if I don't have to.

So... Convince me to get a CycloDS.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: but well atleast my game tv stick can, @Psionic Roshambo