Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@hakuisme
What do you have against expandable memory? There are not many cads with internal memory left, because they are not very cost effective. You get more space for less money with Micro SD(HC) and it's future proof. As long as the firmware gets updated you can use this cart forever, even if your game collection gets enormous.
If price isn't an issue I would say get a Cyclo DS.
And for GBA you should get an EZ Flash 3 in 1 Expansion pack...

hakuisme

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slowking said:
@hakuisme
What do you have against expandable memory? There are not many cads with internal memory left, because they are not very cost effective. You get more space for less money with Micro SD(HC) and it's future proof. As long as the firmware gets updated you can use this cart forever, even if your game collection gets enormous.
If price isn't an issue I would say get a Cyclo DS.
And for GBA you should get an EZ Flash 3 in 1 Expansion pack...
I don't have anything against expandable memory. I just don't see myself needing a lot of space, unless DS roms become really huge in the future. If a flashcart already comes with enough memory (around 1GB), and runs the roms well, I might as well just get that (for convenience and my own laziness). Of course, if I'm wrong and I do need more memory in the future, well, that's one reason why I'm near dead-set on getting the Acekard RPG
smile.gif
I guess I was curious if there were other recommendable flashcarts out there with built in memory, since I don't know much about them, besides the Acekard RPG and G6DS Real.

I've suggested the Cyclo DS to my boyfriend, and he didn't seem that interested in the extra features. I think he's looking for something that does the basics (playing roms) and runs emulated games.

I have one question about the EZ Flash 3 in 1 Expansion pack... is there any way to turn off the rumble? Thanks for your suggestions.
smile.gif

EDIT: Changed some details for the separate package that my boyfriend wants

QUOTEFor my boyfriend:
Use? Games and homebrew
Price Range? Preferably $50-$70-ish range, but if I have to. I will pay more.
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable
Special features? Can play a bunch of emulated stuff, like Genesis games, SNES, ScummVM
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular
  • DSTT - I see in the review that it runs Genesis and SNES emulation; Also, the slot-2 expansions seem good to me. Big points for those things I mentioned.
  • M3 DS Real - Pretty much the same points about the DSTT: slot-2 expansions seem good to me. The review for the M3 DS Real doesn't really talk much about homebrew, so I don't know if it can run those emulators or not.
  • possibly the Edge, because it's cheap
Between them, what are each of the cards' advantages over the other? I've read the reviews but don't seem to see much of a difference between them.
I've also read in earlier posts that the M3 DS Real can brick a DS. Is that still an issue? Or has it been fixed?
Other? I've read in one of the reviews that the RAM expansion can help for things like Genesis and SNES emulation. Does it really matter, is it a big difference?

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Yes
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Yes

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well I just think a 1GB Micro SD card would be the logical choice, as they are thrown at you this days... But if ou want internal memory the Acekard RPG is the best choice for you.

For your friend it would be a Edge, DSTT or Supercard DS One SDHC, but as Edge and DSTT are sold out everywhere at the moment I would go with Supercard. (Every modern card runs this emus, as they are homebrew and not card-specific) http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5097
The best card at the moment is the Cyclo and the above mentioned are the best budget cards. But since he doesn't care much about aditional features, the Cyclo would be an overkill price-wise.
Btw. every card can brick your DS if you run homebrew that is designed to do it. The only effective protection against it is flashme.

And for both of you an EZ 3 in 1. (very few games support rumble and for those you have to activate it first.)
black: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967
white: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1894

Edit:
I just saw that the acekard 2 is now out. This could also be a good choice for your friend. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811
review http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=79368
But in this case you have to be fast. They will be sold out in no time.

hakuisme

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all your help
biggrin.gif
The Acekard 2 was already sold out, but we'll wait and see if DealExtreme gets more in stock. The bamboo gaming site looks like it's down or something. I hope it's back up so I can get my Acekard RPG
unsure.gif

Wrightboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow slowking, thanks for those links.

Don't really feel like spending the extra bucks for a cyclo...
so now i'm just torn between the SuperCard One and the Acekard 2 that just got that nice review
biggrin.gif

Any suggestions?

ooo also people are saying something about the Acekard 2 not working with the 3 in 1...but then others say it does work...which is it?

The Chow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, first of all, I have to explain that I am the boyfriend of hakuisme, so I'm the one who was suggested to get the 3-in-1 and the Acekard 2. So, assume that I know everything that was said to hakuisme.

It was mentioned in the Acekard 2 review that the Kingston 2GB microSD card worked fine.

Links:
Kingston MicroSD TransFlash 2GB Memory Card (JAPAN)
Kingston 4GB TF TransFlash MicroSD SDHC Memory Card (Class 4)

Both the 2GB microSD and the 4GB microSDHC have pretty much the same price-to-memory value, so I'd think getting that 4GB would be a good thing. But what's worrying me is the fact that the 4GB says "Class 4".

My question is: would getting, say, the Kingston 4GB microSDHC card make any difference at all? What exactly is this "Class 4" thing mentioned in the product description?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wrightboy said:
ooo also people are saying something about the Acekard 2 not working with the 3 in 1...but then others say it does work...which is it?
Well GBA roms work on all cards by using Rudophs 3 in 1 tool. Opera works on all cards with a patched rom. As to how good or if rumble works I don't know.

QUOTE(The Chow @ Mar 21 2008, 08:13 PM) Okay, first of all, I have to explain that I am the boyfriend of hakuisme, so I'm the one who was suggested to get the 3-in-1 and the Acekard 2. So, assume that I know everything that was said to hakuisme.

It was mentioned in the Acekard 2 review that the Kingston 2GB microSD card worked fine.

Links:
Kingston MicroSD TransFlash 2GB Memory Card (JAPAN)
Kingston 4GB TF TransFlash MicroSD SDHC Memory Card (Class 4)

Both the 2GB microSD and the 4GB microSDHC have pretty much the same price-to-memory value, so I'd think getting that 4GB would be a good thing. But what's worrying me is the fact that the 4GB says "Class 4".

My question is: would getting, say, the Kingston 4GB microSDHC card make any difference at all? What exactly is this "Class 4" thing mentioned in the product description?
The class of SDHC cards describes their tranfare rate. Class 2 has 2MB/s, class 4 4MB/s and 6 6MB/s. Well that's the garantied speed, it can be higher... As to how good the 4GB kingston card works with the acecard I can't tell you as I haven't got one... try searching the acekard forums on this board...

efearon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys - i currently have a 4gb g6 flash cart - and its pretty good but i want to sell it. I wanna get something with a good, easy to use interface - i only want it to play games and homebrew apps (but videos, and music is okay), i also want it to go on the internet, for it to rumble, and it to have on board memory (i dont want to have to buy a mini sd card). I also really want it to play GBA games - thats a must. Thanks so much for your help guys!!!!! PS - i have about 70-80 bucks (australian) but im pretty much willing to spend anything. thanks

The Chow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here's a quick question:

With the things I want to do with the Acekard 2 (gaming, emulation, homebrew), what limitations will I run into knowing that it's not open source?

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
The Chow said:
Here's a quick question:

With the things I want to do with the Acekard 2 (gaming, emulation, homebrew), what limitations will I run into knowing that it's not open source?

If a problem arises and the team stops supporting it, the problem will always be there. If its open source, a kind soul can have a look and fix it

thinkfast23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a DS, and now im looking at a cart. I have no acces to interent sites, so i cant buy stuff online. My only resort is to goto kijiji, or toronto.craigslist, or RFD for access to these carts. Looking to spend less than 100 with the cart plusa 2 GB stick.

Use? Homebrew progs as well as: BackUps of NDS, GBA, GB, GBC, NES, SNES, MP3, Video
Price Range? Under 100$
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expanadble
Special features? Anything I can get but I would appreciate SDHC, download play and extremely necessary for me RTS!!!
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: Only ones availble to me in toronto for pick up are: R4, N5, DSTT, Ez Flash V, M3 Simply With Rumble.

If Anyone has any hookup for local pickup for ds carts in toronto please tell me and reply thanks
biggrin.gif

Was going to get N5, but after looking at the large thread, i have decided not to. Am really considering to buy the DSTT, can anyonetell me not to? Also, how can i tell if the R4 i get is legit or not?
Other?Web Browser/Rumble Pack/Emulators/Movies/Read Books

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Hopefully
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Hoepfully

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
thinkfast23 said:
Just got a DS, and now im looking at a cart. I have no acces to interent sites, so i cant buy stuff online. My only resort is to goto kijiji, or toronto.craigslist, or RFD for access to these carts. Looking to spend less than 100 with the cart plusa 2 GB stick.

Use? Homebrew progs as well as: BackUps of NDS, GBA, GB, GBC, NES, SNES, MP3, Video
Price Range? Under 100$
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expanadble
Special features? Anything I can get but I would appreciate SDHC, download play and extremely necessary for me RTS!!!
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: Only ones availble to me in toronto for pick up are: R4, N5, DSTT, Ez Flash V, M3 Simply With Rumble.

If Anyone has any hookup for local pickup for ds carts in toronto please tell me and reply thanks
biggrin.gif

Was going to get N5, but after looking at the large thread, i have decided not to. Am really considering to buy the DSTT, can anyonetell me not to? Also, how can i tell if the R4 i get is legit or not?
Other?Web Browser/Rumble Pack/Emulators/Movies/Read Books

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Hopefully
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Hoepfully

Sorry to tell you this, but none of those are any good.

First of all, all those flashkarts you've mentioned are terrible, outdated, and some of them are even cheap rip-offs. Only DSTT has SDHC... NONE OF THOSE CARTS HAVE RTS, and can't support SDHC, and they never will, because how they're built right now, a firmware can't change that.

N5 is a cheap knock off of R4, which is already outdated and considered an obsolete cart in the present times. It claims it supports SDHC, but it's been proven fake. M3 simply is a clone of R4, so pretty much the same thing as the R4. The only carts currently that supports RTS is Supercard DS1 SDHC, and CycloDS, which are not in the list. I'm sorry to tell you this, but none of those have even a slightest chance of getting RTS....

DSTT is the best in the list, but still not even close to the best. Here's the current ranking.

CycloDS> Supercard DS1 SDHC> Acekard R.P.G> Acekard 2> EDGE> DSTT> M3 Real> R4/M3 simply> Ezflash V> N5

thinkfast23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay First of all, What does RST stand for?

Secondly, i have only availible to me those specific carts. There is no way i can get other cartds like that. I heard DSTT had problems inserting its cart into the DS. I was going to go with the R4 Card, but im considering of Getting DSTT. Which one has a better/easier compaitbility and less problems such as freezing or corrupting memory card. I dont want a 2gb or higher, so SDHC dostn really affect me.

What i really want is rumble pack or a Web browsr.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
thinkfast23 said:
Okay First of all, What does RST stand for?

Secondly, i have only availible to me those specific carts. There is no way i can get other cartds like that. I heard DSTT had problems inserting its cart into the DS. I was going to go with the R4 Card, but im considering of Getting DSTT. Which one has a better/easier compaitbility and less problems such as freezing or corrupting memory card. I dont want a 2gb or higher, so SDHC dostn really affect me.

What i really want is rumble pack or a Web browsr.
You've stated "extreme nessesary for RTS". RTS stands for Realtime save, where you can save anywhere in the game with out saving manually. It's pretty helpful, when you're like, on the last level of some game, and there isn't a save menu to save. Then use RTS, and turn it off. Next time you play, load the RTS, and you play from exactly where you left off.

I've never heard of DSTT having problems like that.... I know, because I did a bit of research before I was going to choose one. Japanese Kingston micro sds, are the fastest cards, and also the best. DON"T buy a taiwan Micros sd, because they're terrible in speed, and it will have problems on certain games. I suppose R4 is the right choice for you. There are MUCH better cards out there, but if your situation is like that, then I suppose R4 is the best choice.

thinkfast23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay in my Case. R4 with a 2GB and preloaded games is 80 Dollars.

I can get the DSTT with the 2GB and pReloaded games for 70 Dollars.

Its just a 10Dollar Diffrence, and R4 Seems to be most reliable, even though the DSTT is cheaper.

IM also interested in using ebooks and interent browser. Thank you ojsinnerz, you have been most helpful in choosing the right NDS cart. Hopefully, i dont get scammed and i am sold a legit R4 card.

Are there anyways to know if its fake, just by looking at the packaging or looking at it when it is played on the DS?

Regards,
Thinkfast23

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
thinkfast23 said:
Okay in my Case. R4 with a 2GB and preloaded games is 80 Dollars.

I can get the DSTT with the 2GB and pReloaded games for 70 Dollars.

Its just a 10Dollar Diffrence, and R4 Seems to be most reliable, even though the DSTT is cheaper.

IM also interested in using ebooks and interent browser. Thank you ojsinnerz, you have been most helpful in choosing the right NDS cart. Hopefully, i dont get scammed and i am sold a legit R4 card.

Are there anyways to know if its fake, just by looking at the packaging or looking at it when it is played on the DS?

Regards,
Thinkfast23
WHAT?! I got my Supercard DS1 SDHC, and micro sd 8 gig for 90 dollars..... If that's the case, get the DSTT. R4 is DEFINATELY not worth 80 dollars... Neither is the DSTT, but the DSTT has more possiblities than the R4, because of the SDHC support.

Also, finding if it's a fake or not, isn't that easy, unless it says something like N5, instead of where it should say R4. All the clones I've heard of have their own names, so

Back on topic, if you're trying to use internet browser, you should know you need a slot-2 that has a ram in it, otherwise, it won't run. If you're talking about the homebrew ones, then it doesn't need anything. But the homebrew ones are slower.

Also, you said you lived in Toronto, correct? Although I don't know much about the area, how about this? http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/615957460.html

Certainly better than an R4 for 80 bucks, but it's your choice.

thinkfast23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oo ok, How much do R4's and DSTT's Usualluy go for. If thats the case i might get that dstt deal on craigslist.

O and also where do you get those exteral flash ram for the web browser?

The Chow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for posting so many questions, but it's so hard trying to make a decision!
blink.gif

Right now, I'm thinking of DSTT, AceKard 2, or the CycloDS. I've already ordered my EZFlash 3-in-1 Slot-2 card, if it'll make any difference.

For whatever reason (probably from reading a few topics here and there), I've most tempted to choose the CycloDS. It appears to be the big favorite in all the topics I've been reading, so I'll probably choose that card. Do you have anything to say about the others that may sway my decision?

I've heard that the microSDHC cards are somewhat new on the scene. Are there any big risks in getting those, or should I just be safe and default to a regular microSD card? Are the microSDHC cards supposed to be innately faster than the regular microSDs? Would this speed actually make any difference when used in the Flash cards? (I'm somewhat indirectly referring to the two cards I mentioned in my last post, as I'll likely get one or the other.)

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The Chow said:
Sorry for posting so many questions, but it's so hard trying to make a decision!
blink.gif

Right now, I'm thinking of DSTT, AceKard 2, or the CycloDS. I've already ordered my EZFlash 3-in-1 Slot-2 card, if it'll make any difference.

For whatever reason (probably from reading a few topics here and there), I've most tempted to choose the CycloDS. It appears to be the big favorite in all the topics I've been reading, so I'll probably choose that card. Do you have anything to say about the others that may sway my decision?

I've heard that the microSDHC cards are somewhat new on the scene. Are there any big risks in getting those, or should I just be safe and default to a regular microSD card? Are the microSDHC cards supposed to be innately faster than the regular microSDs? Would this speed actually make any difference when used in the Flash cards? (I'm somewhat indirectly referring to the two cards I mentioned in my last post, as I'll likely get one or the other.)
Cyclo is the best out of those choices, and a choice you probably won't regret. It has the best features, a team that actually listens to their consumers and responds to them directly, and SDHC support. And, SDHC is technically new to the scene, but there's no risk. I own a 8 gig micro sdhc myself, and It's fine. Also, there is a memory card called A-Data 4 gig micro SDHC Class 6, which is the fastest card around. Even faster than the Kingston Japanese.

setsunahq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm currently using R4 with 1gb microSD, let's just say, it is simply not enough, and buying multiple 2gb is troublesome.

I'm looking for a cart which fast firmware update for games compability, support SDHC as I'm going to buy a 8gb for it, and aslo perhaps with a really good cheat code update/sharing/database, I'm leaning towards Edge for now, anything else should I take a look at before I purchase Edge?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==