Hacking Possilbe to run a computer OS or something like it on acekard?

galaec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if it is possible to run something like a computer...or basically run .exe files directly or indirectly?

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Impossible to run anything windows-based on the DS. There's DSLinux, but it's kinda useless, since the DS can just barely run the kernel.

rommy667

Trophies
XP
Country
AKINO is the os
smile.gif

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
galaec said:
I was wondering if it is possible to run something like a computer...or basically run .exe files directly or indirectly?

Hi,
Directly it is impossible, since Windows or DOS apps are written and compiled for a x86 instruction set (the DS's cpu is an ARM, with different instructions).
The only way to execute a MS-type binary file (.com or .exe ) would be to load it trough an emulator like DosBOX, but no DosBOX build for DS is available as far as I know. Anyway the result could probably not run anything bigger than a 1980 text based app. I might be too pessimistic, however, but you've got the main idea.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
As others have said, there's DSLinux which is, as memory serves, all text based. If you were wanting to emulate Windows 3.1 or something then there's no chance, not even on a DSi. Why? Simply not enough power. Even something with as much power as the iPhone 3GS takes up to 8 minutes to boot 3.1, and over 30 minutes to boot 95!

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShatteredScreens said:
As others have said, there's DSLinux which is, as memory serves, all text based. If you were wanting to emulate Windows 3.1 or something then there's no chance, not even on a DSi. Why? Simply not enough power. Even something with as much power as the iPhone 3GS takes up to 8 minutes to boot 3.1, and over 30 minutes to boot 95!

dscn0461w.jpg

DSLinux is not entirely text based. The package includes a port of the Pixil suite, but i'm sure it needs a supported RAM pack in slot 2.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShatteredScreens said:
lol PSP only take 15mins to boot win95
yaypsp.gif

it can quickly boot Mac OS7 though and is usable but glitchy

Ruud91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ShatteredScreens said:

lol it takes 3 min for windows 3.1 and 6 min for windows 95 to boot on my 3GS -.-' I think there is something wrong with yours ;P

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pendor said:
ShatteredScreens said:

dscn0461w.jpg

DSLinux is not entirely text based. The package includes a port of the Pixil suite, but i'm sure it needs a supported RAM pack in slot 2.
Pixil is utterly useless running on the DS with DSLinux. There are many much more useful homebrew apps out there.

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
Pendor said:
ShatteredScreens said:

dscn0461w.jpg

Pixil is utterly useless running on the DS with DSLinux. There are many much more useful homebrew apps out there.

I've never said anything about usefulness. I just corrected a wrong statement.

tongue.gif

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Ruud91 said:
ShatteredScreens said:

lol it takes 3 min for windows 3.1 and 6 min for windows 95 to boot on my 3GS -.-' I think there is something wrong with yours ;P
Oh no! The iPhone virus got me!
ohmy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5