Possibly upgrade my CPU...

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Tom Bombadildo, May 25, 2011.

May 25, 2011
  1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Ok, so I have an Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook that has an AMD Athlon 64 2650e processor (Specs here)

I have an extra AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor that I would like to put into the Aspire, (Specs here)

I was just wondering if this would work. I'm sort of bad with spec comparison so I figured I would ask here. Thanks for your help!

2. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    No.

1. notebook cpu are generally soldered on the mainboard
    2. mobile cpu and desktop cpu doesn't have the same pin count

Edit: You have a spare mobile cpu in a drawer? It doesn't matter since the athlon x2 is a 938 pin while the other is a 940 pin.

3. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States

Yeah I figured. Thanks.

Not in a drawer, I took it out of a junker Compaq Presario F700 motherboard I had in storage.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I could tell in seconds that it wouldn't work. Athlon 64 2650e is socket AM2, whilst Athlon 64 X2 TK-57 is socket S1. EDIT: Also, the first does say it's a desktop CPU...

@Marcus, you got it slightly wrong... the X2 has 638 pins, whilst the first has 940 pins.

Also, Notebook CPUs are not always hard soldered onto the motherboard. My PB media laptop has an Intel P socket, which let me upgrade it with a C2D T7500. Generally if you want to upgrade the CPU, you just have to check the socket, voltage and the TDP. Also you may need a BIOS update to get certain CPUs to work.

5. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    Yeah. IIRC the Aspire isn't soldered into the MB. I want to upgrade it but didn't necessarily want to spend money doing so.

6. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    They aren't the same socket type. So, no.

It use to be true that the CPU was solder onto the motherboards for laptops, but a lot the newer laptops, this isn't really true anymore. Heck, if you'll noticed the Aspire CPU is listed as a desktop processor with a AM2 socket. What might keep a different processor from working even if it is the same socket type is the BIOS, if it's not supported in the BIOS then it won't work. Another consideration is that different processor generate different heat. This is why there are mobile processor design specifically for laptops.

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    And AMD CPUs are known for producing rather high levels of heat...

8. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    you can see on the link he put for the specs, the socket in his laptop is micro-PGA. the P stands for pins. CPUs with pins are not soldered to the board. BGA sockets use balls instead of pins, and they are the ones that are soldered to the main board.