Hacking possibly considering a new flashcart for DSi

cubicjack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been using an original v1 R4 for my DSL without any problems. After I got a DSi, I bought an M3i0 for it.

For the most part, the M3 works nicely, but there are a few issues that I've encountered after switching:
1) Soft reset for a certain game (Mahjong Fight Club, in case you want to know) doesn't work in M3 Sakura, but it works in R4
2) Soft reset patching is not automatic for all games
3) Sakura lacks a one-button save backup/restore feature
4) You can't delete files in Sakura without using homebrew apps.

Now, all of these are not deal-breaking problems, but I did use these features a lot with my R4, and it would be nice and convenient to have them again.

I do like the Sakura loader, but that's only because of how it looks, so it's not that important. As long as the loader is not slow and clunky (like TouchPod), I'm fine with it. So anyone have any suggestions as to which one I should try?

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't need a new flashcart, just for those features...you say it's not a deal-breaker, but it evidently is, seeing as how you're considering getting a new flashcart. The M3i0 is pretty much the best flashcart out there right now, for the DSi. It uses a dual-loader, doesn't it? You could try booting into the other firmware on it.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cubicjack said:
I've been using an original v1 R4 for my DSL without any problems. After I got a DSi, I bought an M3i0 for it.

For the most part, the M3 works nicely, but there are a few issues that I've encountered after switching:
1) Soft reset for a certain game (Mahjong Fight Club, in case you want to know) doesn't work in M3 Sakura, but it works in R4
2) Soft reset patching is not automatic for all games
3) Sakura lacks a one-button save backup/restore feature
4) You can't delete files in Sakura without using homebrew apps.

Now, all of these are not deal-breaking problems, but I did use these features a lot with my R4, and it would be nice and convenient to have them again.

I do like the Sakura loader, but that's only because of how it looks, so it's not that important. As long as the loader is not slow and clunky (like TouchPod), I'm fine with it. So anyone have any suggestions as to which one I should try?

1. You want to switch because soft-reset doesn't work on one game that most people haven't even heard of? Wow, you know you can request them to fix it and they probably will.
2. You mean an option for global soft-reset? It's been requested before, they may or may not be working on it still it's nothing to throw your flashcart away for.
3. I don't even know what you mean by that...you mean you don't like the m3i zero because Sakura won't let you be lazy and backup with one button instead of having to hit a couple buttons to back it up?
4. Never thought of even having that feature because honestly I don't need it, again you can use homebrew it's not a big deal.

Every flashcart has ups and downs like this, like the acekard2i doesn't have RTS and some contacts problems. SCDS1i's menu is pretty slow (they may have updated it to go a little faster not sure don't have one). Etc.

cubicjack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Da-Bomb1 said:
You don't need a new flashcart, just for those features...you say it's not a deal-breaker, but it evidently is, seeing as how you're considering getting a new flashcart. The M3i0 is pretty much the best flashcart out there right now, for the DSi. It uses a dual-loader, doesn't it? You could try booting into the other firmware on it.
I still like the M3, but if there's something else that suits me more, I don't see why I shouldn't try it out. If there's none, then I'll just stick with the M3.
And I have tried using TouchPod. It's slow. I hate it.

DeltaBurnt said:
1. You want to switch because soft-reset doesn't work on one game that most people haven't even heard of? Wow, you know you can request them to fix it and they probably will.
2. You mean an option for global soft-reset? It's been requested before, they may or may not be working on it still it's nothing to throw your flashcart away for.
3. I don't even know what you mean by that...you mean you don't like the m3i zero because Sakura won't let you be lazy and backup with one button instead of having to hit a couple buttons to back it up?
4. Never thought of even having that feature because honestly I don't need it, again you can use homebrew it's not a big deal.

Every flashcart has ups and downs like this, like the acekard2i doesn't have RTS and some contacts problems. SCDS1i's menu is pretty slow (they may have updated it to go a little faster not sure don't have one). Etc.
QUOTE(PharaohsVizier @ Aug 22 2009, 03:57 PM)
The AceKard 2i should suit you nicely, it does 1, 2 and 4, although I'm not sure what you mean by 3. If you weren't taking advantage of the M3i Zero's features such as RTS heavily, then I probably would have recommended the AceKard 2i from the start. The M3i Zero is a good cart definitely, but I too have problems with the fact that it doesn't soft reset for all the games at once.
What I meant by 3 is that in the R4, pressing A on a .sav file would create a copy of it (same name, but .bak), and pressing A on a .bak file would restore it (overwrite the original .sav). It doesn't necessarily have to be a 1-button thing, but there is no such feature in Sakura (at least I can't find it). I know there's a Save Restore feature in Sakura, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. And I also don't like using RTS, since it takes up a lot of space, and it takes away soft reset.

And again, I'm not going to scrap my M3 just because it lacks these features, but if there are other carts that have them, I'd like to try them and see which one I like better. I'll guess I'll try out AK2i first. Thanks.

warbird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AKAIO for AceKard (not sure about official FW as I never use it) supports up to 10 save slots, and copying between the slots (each slot is a standalone file). So you can copy from slot 1 (default) to slot 2, to make a backup. Then copy back from slot 2 to 1 to restore.

cubicjack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PharaohsVizier said:
That was a good feature, but I thought that was on YSMenu, not the actual R4 firmware, my mind must be playing tricks with me.

I've never tried doing that in YsMenu, but I'm pretty sure you can do that in the official firmware as well.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll try AK2i first.

cubicjack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jakob95 said:
You keep talking about the R4 and how good it is. Maybe you should get a R4i the one M3 Team made has RTS also.
Not really. I just miss some of the features that I've been using for years. I'm not especially interested in getting an R4 again.

Edit: fixed typo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head