Hacking Possible to Repair Wii U System Memory Error Code 160-0103?

Razor83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have been given a second hand unmodified Wii U console, which boots up normally to the main menu but displays error code 160-0103 "There is a problem with the system memory" when I select almost any app/program, including system settings. I have tried to create a new user, but although Mii Maker initially loads the system crashes once I select 'create/receive' Mii.

-I can still load the internet browser, but as I cant access system settings I cant enter my router details.
-I can also still load up vWii mode without any problems.

Assuming error code 160-0103 is the result of corrupted files on the eMMC memory (and not a defective eMMC chip) Is there any way I can access homebrew and potentially fix the system memory? Perhaps by formatting the user data section?

Some questions/ideas:
-Does the Wii U automatically connect to any open networks or Nintendo Zone hotspots?
-If I hack the vWii mode is there any way to use that to alter the Wii U modes internet settings, and from there load up Wii U homebrew to fix the problem?
-Can the Wii U OTP be dumped from vWii mode, so that I can then hard mod and dump and decrypt the eMMC?

Oh and before anyone suggests just sending it in to Nintendo - even though Nintendo of America usually repairs Wii U consoles with this error code even outside of warranty, Nintendo UK will apparently not fix it unless I pay a repair charge, which is more than the cost of just buying a Wii U console on ebay :(

Last edited by Razor83,

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well i don't think the Wii U has streetpass and if those things were doable from vWii we would probably not need the IOSU exploit...

D

Deleted User

Hm.
Maybe try dumping Wii U NAND? [You know, hardmod method]
You will easily see your issue and possibly, reflash fixed version [Fixed by You of course]

Razor83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies :)

I am capable of performing a hard mod, but without the OTP keys wont the dumps be useless?

The Wii U does have an internet connection saved, but since I can't access system settings I could not see the stored settings.
However, I have just hacked vWii mode and used InspectMii v1.2 to show the SSID and password, and after creating a guest network with the same details I can now connect it to the internet! Unfortunately although I can load any of the stored bookmarks without problems, I cannot load any other pages because as soon as the keyboard overlay pops up the console crashes :(

Is there any way I can redirect any/all website requests straight to the homebrew launcher?
My router doesnt support redirects, but I have a zsun WiFi dongle and can install openwrt:-
http://gbatemp.net/threads/self-host-from-wiiu-any-size-sd-card-fully-self-contained.421341/
Is there a way I can use this to redirect all the Wii U website requests directly to the homebrew launcher?

Last edited by Razor83,
D

Deleted User

I am capable of performing a hard mod, but without the OTP keys wont the dumps be useless?

The Wii U does have an internet connection saved, but since I can't access system settings I could not see the stored settings.
However, I have just hacked vWii mode and used InspectMii v1.2 to show the SSID and password, and after creating a guest network with the same details I can now connect it to the internet! Unfortunately although I can load any of the stored bookmarks without problems, I cannot load any other pages because as soon as the keyboard overlay pops up the console crashes :(

Is there any way I can redirect any/all website requests straight to the homebrew launcher?
My router doesnt support redirects, but I have a zsun WiFi dongle and can install openwrt:-
http://gbatemp.net/threads/self-host-from-wiiu-any-size-sd-card-fully-self-contained.421341/
Is there a way I can use this to redirect all the Wii U website requests directly to the homebrew launcher?
You could try modifying browser starter page to redirect automatically to ex.loadiine.ovh.
I don't know how it's done, but i know it's possible. [It might require IOSU access so eh..]

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Perhaps
http://superuser.com/questions/8274...to-some-page-and-dont-allow-access-except-ran

Last edited by piratesephiroth,

Pajar0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
If you have one computer with two NIC's (one wirleess and one ethernet for example), you could:

Configure the wireless interface as an access point, using the values you got from InspectMii, so your WiiU will connect to that computer and provide Internet access via the other interface.
Edit hosts files on the computer to redirect the traffic.

If you only have one interface (or no cables at home), you could host the exploit locally and redirect to localhost

Last edited by Pajar0,
Reactions: Shawnj

Dj666Jp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
If your WiiU IP is set to automatic, your DHCP server is delivering IP adress and DNS server adress to your WiiU.
It should be possible to setup your DHCP to deliver a DNS server of your choice.
Then, run a local DNS server and configure it to resolve your bookmark address to some usual homebrew loader website, or to a local web server (by example kafluke host on android).

There should be some fast way to setup a local DNS server (by exemple : 'Dual DNS DHCP server' on sourceforge), or some virtual appliance as on 'Turnkey Linux'.

Reactions: piratesephiroth

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would send the console to Nintendo
Did you not read to original post the op is from the UK and here Nintendo UK will not fix that error on any wiiu in or out of warranty unless you pay them a huge sum of money which is more than the cost of a working wiiu second hand

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you not read to original post the op is from the UK and here Nintendo UK will not fix that error on any wiiu in or out of warranty unless you pay them a huge sum of money which is more than the cost of a working wiiu second hand
Why would Nintendo deny him based on that specific error code even if he had a warranty? Could they figure out its not possible to have caused that on regular use alone even if he were to send it in with all homebrew uninstalled?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would Nintendo deny him based on that specific error code even if he had a warranty? Could they figure out its not possible to have caused that on regular use alone even if he were to send it in with all homebrew uninstalled?
Don't know but I do know that nintendo UK charges for that error no matter what. Why they charge when Nintendo America does not charge is a mystery to me.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
Oh, didn't read that piece

Razor83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I installed OpenWRT on the Zsun dongle, and it appears to be working fine, but according to the DHCP log the Wii U only connects to it intermittently?

Not being networking savvy I have spent many hours reading about different methods to redirecting websites and still havent managed to find a simple method to redirect a website. I have been looking at nodogsplash, dnsmasq, nginx, editing hosts and firewall configs and have just ended up confusing myself. I did notice that I can still change the proxy settings in the Wii U internet browser settings, since it appears to use a different type of on-screen keyboardthan the browser itself.

Can anybody suggest a relatively simple straight-forward way to get this working?

...and yeah its really annoying that Nintendo UK wont fix it. I actually already sent it to them to repair last month but they said it was a "chargeable repair", and even though I mentioned that Nintendo of America repairs the 160-0103 error even outside of warranty they said "With regards to the Nintendo of America providing free repairs, on a query like this, we will not be able to comment. We would not be aware of their procedure, as they are a completely different jurisdiction."

Heck even Nintendo in the Netherlands repairs this error for free outside of warranty:-
https://gbatemp.net/threads/solved-...ked-out-of-nowhere.398717/page-2#post-5898862
I guess Nintendo UK just sucks:hateit:

Last edited by Razor83,
D

Deleted User

Does Miimaker work for OP? Browserhax launches Miimaker to get into HBL. [As far as i know?]
Apparently, he can. Unsure if it will work correctly but we'll see.

Last edited by ,

Razor83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Does Miimaker work for OP? Browserhax launches Miimaker to get into HBL. [As far as i know?]
Apparently, he can. Unsure if it will work correctly but we'll see.
Certain parts of MiiMaker still work without crashing so that could be an option, however I cant find any information about loading the homebrew launcher directly from MiiMaker? Most guides say you need to exploit the internet browser or Super Smash Bros first.

Last edited by Razor83,

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Certain parts of MiiMaker still work without crashing so that could be an option, however I cant find any information about just loading directly from MiiMaker? Most guides say you need to exploit the internet browser or Super Smash Bros first.
yeah you need the browser, it's the vulnerable application. Homebrew launcher just uses miimaker because of the SD access. Alternatively it can use Smash Bros or Art Academy but I don't see how that could help much.

Last edited by piratesephiroth,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain