Hacking Possible to convert jap .bin save to US .bin?

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I don't remember how I did it exactly, but I used my Japanese rhythm heaven save in korean version of the game. Hex editing was involved iirc but it was just a title id probably.

If the game was not heavily modded that it has the same format, It would work. else, well you'll gonna have to find other way.

Reactions: RedRose30

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The games I'm looking to convert are Mario Sports Mix and Chocobo Dungeon. I found two saves off of gamefaqs that's supposed to be 100%, but they're from different regions. Chocobo Dungeon is from Japan and Mario Sports Mix is from Europe.

I never used hex editing on Wii games and I can't tell if the saves are too different or not.

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, Mario Sports Mix has a cheat where you can get 100% on the title screen. I did not know this. So now it's just Chocobo's Dungeon I need to figure out, but I don't know if it's too modified.

If I were to find the title, does anyone know what I'd be specifically looking for?

Last edited by RedRose30,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I have this figured out. the title id is in the hex field. the text field will equal what it says in that site I linked you to. I'd need both saves and the game you're using to fix it for you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

upload_2020-9-8_20-32-0.png

the last byte is region. it ignores the company code I think, so you just need to look for the product code, which is four digits. it will be in the text field, but you need to change the bytes of hex to equal the new region (only the last byte needs to be changed). I think that's how it works.

I think this might be the title id:

upload_2020-9-8_20-38-13.png

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for doing this. I appreciate it :)

Unfortunately though the save file I downloaded from mediafire comes up as a "?." I put it in the folder R7FE.

Does this mean the save is too modified from when Square region changed it?

I downloaded both the American and Japanese save from gamefaq. The American one is not 100% though, even though it says it is.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for doing this. I appreciate it :)

Unfortunately though the save file I downloaded from mediafire comes up as a "?." I put it in the folder R7FE.

Does this mean the save is too modified from when Square region changed it?

I downloaded both the American and Japanese save from gamefaq. The American one is not 100% though, even though it says it is.

I'm not sure. I'm pretty positive that is the title id. however, it still shows the original title id and the game icon and font are still in Japanese.

the 0xF120 line is the one to look at.

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure. I'm pretty positive that is the title id. however, it still shows the original title id and the game icon and font are still in Japanese.

the 0xF120 line is the one to look at.
That's impressive you spotted that lol. I couldn't find that at all :rofl:

So I have my hex editor open and am at that line. Would I just change the J to an E and that's it?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's what I did, but it still read it as J. the modified save will appear if you change the folder to an ending with J, but it won't copy over.

try copying over the unmodified Japanese save and see if it transfers over. then, we'll at least know if changing that line is corrupting the save.

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's what I did, but it still read it as J. the modified save will appear if you change the folder to an ending with J, but it won't copy over.

try copying over the unmodified Japanese save and see if it transfers over. then, we'll at least know if changing that line is corrupting the save.
It told me I had to play the Jap version first to copy over, but I'm assuming it would have worked if I had the Jap disk and had a region free wii lol

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
changing regions is a finicky thing. sometimes it works; other times it doesn't. I'm not even sure if we're doing this correctly.

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
changing regions is a finicky thing. sometimes it works; other times it doesn't. I'm not even sure if we're doing this correctly.
I'm not sure either. Maybe this is one of those saves that was revised too much. Which would be too bad if that truly is the case :/

I wonder if there's another way of doing this. I'd imagine there must be.

And thanks again for your help. I now know a little bit more about changing save regions than I did before lol :D

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've made progress. I've found the savedata. it starts with slot0. look for that. there are three of them ad .dat files.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, it says slot0 in the text field. I got to show the game name and icon as well as it being in english, but it still won't transfer. I think there might be a checksum somewhere.

iirc, slot0 is at the end of line 0xf120.

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I found 0xf120 and see another title id. I see the word "slot 0" in row 0xf140. Are there multiple title ids in the text that all need to be changed?

I don't know what a checksum is lol, but I'm assuming it's a way to make "hacking" a save harder?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you look at the subsequent line it will say 1.dat, so slot01.dat. there's a slot02.dat and slot03.dat from what I remember. that has to be all three save slots. that line is the same in both saves. I tried hexing in just the slots by using hex length to know where the end was, but it didn't work.

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you look at the subsequent line it will say 1.dat, so slot01.dat. there's a slot02.dat and slot03.dat from what I remember. that has to be all three save slots. that line is the same in both saves. I tried hexing in just the slots by using hex length to know where the end was, but it didn't work.
Does that mean that it's not going to be possible to edit this save using this method?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
checksum is an alphanumeric that shows whether something is corrupted. I thought it might be the last two lines of the header, since everything but those two lines are identical comparing two usa saves. that's where the real product code and banner are located. I don't understand the footer or the bottom at all.

I'm not sure. I haven't given up. one thing I thought of was decompressing a normal save, then replacing the .dat files with those slot ones. you can do this with save manager gx.

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
checksum is an alphanumeric that shows whether something is corrupted. I thought it might be the last two lines of the header, since everything but those two lines are identical comparing two usa saves. that's where the real product code and banner are located. I don't understand the footer or the bottom at all.

I'm not sure. I haven't given up. one thing I thought of was decompressing a normal save, then replacing the .dat files with those slot ones. you can do this with save manager gx.
I tried using savegame gx recently, and none of my wii save files showed up when I picked the wii icon on top. I'm not sure how to use GX properly, and I don't know if there's a difference between using it on wii vs wii u. But I pressed something and it asked if I wanted to lock my wii, so using gx does make me nervous.

And to be honest, I am very clueless about how to do this. I don't know how to replace .dat files with slot ones :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs