Hardware Possible New Handheld vs Switch

Would you still buy the Switch, if you knew a portable was coming?

• I wouldn't buy the handheld, but would be nice to have it for an option.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so there will be no more ds line evolution?
I think it would be a bad move for Nintendo.
If they released stripped down games ... it'll be for smartphones.

And I think the Switch may have a similar architecture to smartphones. Hopefully smartphone developers will easily enable their games to run on the Switch.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the Switch is just too big to be a replacement for the 3ds. It doesn't close, so we need screen protectors, and it doesn't fit in your pockets! If I ever wanted to take it with me, I'd have to put it in my backpack all the time until I wanted to use it. And then what? Sit there with a console that's iPad levels of huge? If you really wanted to stuff the Switch in your pockets, you could maybe disconnect the controllers and put them in one pocket, while having the screen in another pocket. Even then, that might not work. I think that while the Switch had a great idea by making console gaming mobile, they made the screen too big to play on the go. And I have to ask, why is it so big? I get that the brains of the console are packed into the screen portion, but they couldn't have made it any smaller? If I'm playing at home, I'll use a TV, but don't make me take a huge tablet with me everywhere else I want to play the Switch, it destroys the mobile aspect of the console.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I have to ask, why is it so big? I get that the brains of the console are packed into the screen portion, but they couldn't have made it any smaller? If I'm playing at home, I'll use a TV, but don't make me take a huge tablet with me everywhere else I want to play the Switch, it destroys the mobile aspect of the console.
Probably figured people like big screens and a big enough battery needs to be in there to power the device.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I won't switch to the Switch regarding the switchability of a handheld. These things can't be switched that easily.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the point that some people seem to be missing is that the Switch is intended to be different. It's supposed to be a game-changer. It's supposed to challenge the way you think about portable gaming. And that means not having some of the features you are comfortable with, like folding in and pocket-size.

I understand the appeal of a compact device the fits in your pocket... But it is not in the spirit of Nintendo to keep giving you more of the same. Each of their systems are designed to give something new. So for those of you holding out for a more powerful 3DS with better graphics and battery life... I just don't see that happening. They heard your cries and gave you the New 3DS, which actually still hasn't been around that long. (Although I suspect part of the reason they came up with it was to capitalize on Amiibo, so again the idea was to "give something new".) Now it is time for something altogether different. This is your new handheld, like it or not. And if you don't like the trade-offs, then you've got a few more years left to wait.

The 3DS has been well-loved, and it's had its run. I'm sure we'll still see releases continue for a while, given that there is already a huge install base that keeps it profitable. But it doesn't make business sense for Nintendo to continue pouring resources into the 3DS when they want the Switch to be a success. And it doesn't make sense for them to introduce another handheld system that competes with the business model of the Switch! The implied intent is that they want to unify the console and handheld markets, so to me it seems highly unlikely that they will be producing a dedicated handheld for a while.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the point that some people seem to be missing is that the Switch is intended to be different. It's supposed to be a game-changer. It's supposed to challenge the way you think about portable gaming. And that means not having some of the features you are comfortable with, like folding in and pocket-size.
I understand the Switch is supposed to be different, but when the mobile aspect of the console is put like this, I don't feel it qualifies as a mobile console. It's not pocket sized, meaning that I can't take it anywhere I don't have a backpack. Unless I decide to carry it around with me in my hands, then I'm just asking to be robbed. You can very easily take all of Nintendo's mobile consoles anywhere you want. The only one I can see that is as difficult to lug around as the Switch would be the Virtual Boy. Also, what if you drop the thing? Nintendo's handhelds have been very sturdy, and the DS made it even moreso! The clam shell design made it so it could survive much better than other electronics in falls. And let's face it: we'll all drop it at some point. The Switch is like an iPhone when it's dropped, and this time, there's no case to save it! By making the Switch's mobile aspect more in line with the 3ds wouldn't be "more of the same" in my opinion, but it'd be the same high quality "this won't break any time soon" products they've been producing for a long time.

Iamapirate

Trophies
XP
Country
As with any expensive purchase, it all depends on what it is lol. I'd definitely be interested in a 3DS successor, since I won't use the portable Switch much, but it depends. I think New 3DS still has some time left anyway.

prion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would ideally prefer something more portable than the Switch, but will definitely be picking it up regardless in the absence of a console to succeed the 3DS; however, I already haul my laptop around with me pretty much everywhere I go anyway, so carrying it isn't likely to be an issue, as long as I have a good reason to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30