Portable emulation devices - give suggestions?

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe not but does have tegra x1 and it is rather small compared to the wii which is already smallest console?
True, but I was talking about portables. As far as I remember, the Shield Portable has a Tegra 4, Tablet has K1 and the TV has an X1. If you want emulation up to the Dreamcast, the portable would be just fine, but right now as of Dolphin 5.0, the X1 is the only chip fast enough to run Dolphin at full speed. The tablet is getting there and I think will achieve it eventually.

Last edited by Selim873,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but I was talking about portables. As far as I remember, the Shield Portable has a Tegra 4, Tablet has K1 and the TV has an X1. If you want emulation up to the Dreamcast, the portable would be just fine, but right now as of Dolphin 5.0, the X1 is the only chip fast enough to run Dolphin at full speed. The tablet is getting there and I think will achieve it eventually.
Well yeah portable would not be as good as tv, but i had hoped they started reselling it with tegra x1 sometime but who knows. :P

Reactions: Selim873

mino_o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iam getting Psp 2004 with CFW Prometheus 5.5 on it. It will be cheap so i try it for emulation till Shield k1 will be available again in my country.Or should i get clear 3004 or 1004 and flash it?
I just donwload emulator there and i can just go right?

Last edited by mino_o,

mino_o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
its there diference for roms for emulators on PC and the ones on PSP? Or it no diference there? I get my emulators on emuparadise. Just asking if there is better place to get snes/ps1/genesis roms for PSP?

mino_o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iam asking if there are diferente type of roms or all is the same. :) but thx i do the same as you and get same result :P

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is dangerous to go alone, use this:
Motherboard-Overview-Old.png

This will let you know what can you look for ;D, and No Probs, Glad we could help! C:

Also, if you need anything else regards any console hacking and if you have any issues, ill be glad to help.

So I have a question semi-on topic.

I currently have an old PSP 1000 on a 6.6x PRO firmware with a handful of emulators (NES/SNES/GEN/TG16/FBA/NEOGEO/etc).
Should I change which custom firmware i have on it to a better option? if so, which firmware and why? (what's the difference between LME/ME and PRO CFWs?)
Also now that Infinity 6.61 exists, would a PSP 3000 or PSP Go be considered an upgrade to what i have now (better/faster emulation)? Cen it be on the latest OFW and still install CFW or does it have to be a certain OFW or lower to get CFW on it? (PSP 3000/PSP Go specifically)
I don't want to go as far as a Vita yet (still too expensive for me for tinkering) and the E1000 isn't an option.
99% of my usage of this device would be to emulate NES/SMS thru (maybe) N64 as well as PS1 and I don't use any UMDs.
I would want it to be a permanently patch-able device since i don't use it frequently enough to keep it in standby between uses.

Also, what's the best resource these days for downloading the emulators (if not here on FileTrip)?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the million questions.

Last edited by esmith13,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a question semi-on topic.

I currently have a beat up old PSP 1000 on a 6.6x PRO firmware with a handful of emulators (NES/SNES/GEN/TG16/FBA/NEOGEO/etc).
Should I change which custom firmware i have on it to a better option? if so, which firmware and why? (what's the difference between LME and PRO CFWs?)
Also now that Infinity 6.61 exists, would a PSP 3000 or PSP Go be considered an upgrade to what i have now (better/faster emulation)?
I don't want to go as far as a Vita yet (still too expensive for me for tinkering) and the E1000 can't be permanently patched (yet).
99% of my usage of this device would be to emulate NES/SMS thru N64 as well as PS1 and I don't use any UMDs.
I would want it to be a permanently patch-able device since i don't use it frequently enough to keep it in standby between uses.

Thanks in advance.
To be honest i think a PSP GO is a bad choice period. It has only 16 GB of internal storage. PSP2000/3000/ Least have switchable memory sticks, So you can dedicate each one to specific system or something, Depending on which games you may favor (If uncompressed) You could possibably fill the 16 GB quick. But i could be wrong.

I don't think you need to switch your PRO CFW, it works fine and is fully functional, unless there was a feature in the other you wanted to use, why bother? You can always try it out i suppose.

While the PSP2000/3000 Has a extra ram, I hardly found it useful since some emulators still have framerate issues, but maybe is just me. Snes i could never figure out how to run at full FPS, Nesterj is okay but not perfect, GPSPKai is not as bad, N64 I doubt would be satisfactory, I never tried any arcade emulators. pico drive could be the best by far. As for PSX you don't use a emulator, you manually convert iso of games to PBP to run natively on the system. So it would not be any problems there. Besides the two systems, the 2000 has slimmer design, and 3000 supposed to have better color in the games or was it brighter backlight. (Usually means consumes more battery)

Reactions: esmith13

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest i think a PSP GO is a bad choice period. It has only 16 GB of internal storage. PSP2000/3000/ Least have switchable memory sticks, So you can dedicate each one to specific system or something, Depending on which games you may favor (If uncompressed) You could possibably fill the 16 GB quick. But i could be wrong.

I don't think you need to switch your PRO CFW, it works fine and is fully functional, unless there was a feature in the other you wanted to use, why bother? You can always try it out i suppose.

While the PSP2000/3000 Has a extra ram, I hardly found it useful since some emulators still have framerate issues, but maybe is just me. Snes i could never figure out how to run at full FPS, Nesterj is okay but not perfect, GPSPKai is not as bad, N64 I doubt would be satisfactory, I never tried any arcade emulators. pico drive could be the best by far. As for PSX you don't use a emulator, you manually convert iso of games to PBP to run natively on the system. So it would not be any problems there. Besides the two systems, the 2000 has slimmer design, and 3000 supposed to have better color in the games or was it brighter backlight. (Usually means consumes more battery)

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the PSP Go didn't also have a memory card slot. 16Gb is definitely not enough space to work with for me. I guess I just need to figure out if a 2000 or 3000 is a worthwhile upgrade. My 1000 is perfectly functional and holds a charge very well.

Any other input about the 32MB Ram vs 64MB Ram being any real help to emulation or not from other users? it seems to be the only debatable difference between a 1000/2000/3000 these days...

Thanks again for any input and help!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the PSP Go didn't also have a memory card slot. 16Gb is definitely not enough space to work with for me. I guess I just need to figure out if a 2000 or 3000 is a worthwhile upgrade. My 1000 is perfectly functional and holds a charge very well.

Any other input about the 32MB Ram vs 64MB Ram being any real help to emulation or not from other users? it seems to be the only debatable difference between a 1000/2000/3000 these days...

Thanks again for any input and help!
Since i never had the psp1000 to actually compare the two with the ram, i can't honestly say, it may be possible to use the psp emulator to maybe compare them since you can actually ajust setting to do that and try with the ram and without ram enhancement. Or perhaps someone who can actually try will tell you (This post been dead for while) but I have 3000 and i still have framerate issues with some emulators. Only PSX works normally as intended (Since it is native to the system) But Most likely the N64 and Arcade emulator may not be consistent in frames, Unless you perhaps test some emulators with them. I usually assume is the emulator or the settings never the system it self, until the very end when i give up trying to make it work. You should consider the following emulators

NES = Nesterj
SNES= Snes9x Euphoria R3 (Or something like that)
Genesis = Pico drive (Works very well)
Arcade = personally never tested
Turboduo = Don't remember.

You can just check wololo website of the psp emulation bible :P
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8026

Reactions: esmith13

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I change which custom firmware i have on it to a better option? if so, which firmware and why? (what's the difference between LME/ME and PRO CFWs?)
Nop, you are on the latest custom firmware available, and the more stable in my opinion.

Also now that Infinity 6.61 exists, would a PSP 3000 or PSP Go be considered an upgrade to what i have now (better/faster emulation)? Cen it be on the latest OFW and still install CFW or does it have to be a certain OFW or lower to get CFW on it? (PSP 3000/PSP Go specifically)
Yes, Psp slims and go, have 64mb of ram, comparing to the fat version you have, the emulation changs by a little bit, specially on mid-end consoles, like the snes with the spcecial chips running.

I don't want to go as far as a Vita yet (still too expensive for me for tinkering) and the E1000 isn't an option.
Dont go for it, emulation and homebrew its still a baby on it, if you are looking to play at full speed, go for a psp 3000, 200 or a go. [My favorite.]

99% of my usage of this device would be to emulate NES/SMS thru (maybe) N64 as well as PS1 and I don't use any UMDs.
Nes and SMS, run excelent on the psp 1000, as well as the PS1, but with the n64, the device almost die, on any console from the psp series :/*, the emulator was never finished and only some games became playable, aka mario 64, and mario kart, tough none of them are perfect.

Any psp can be patched permanently, even psp2000, go and the other, they just need the right firmware to be patched.

Also, what's the best resource these days for downloading the emulators (if not here on FileTrip)?
Wololo, and digiex for english users.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And as for your emulator choices, these are the best ones, in my opinion:
Game Boy Advance - Unofficial Gpsp Kai
Super Nintendo - Snes9xtyl Mecm
Sega Master System - Sms Plus Psp
NeoGeo Pocket - Race Psp
Nintendo - Nesterj Aoex
Nintendo 64 - Daedalusx64
DOS - DosBox Psp
Neogeo - Unofficial Mvspsp

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to you both for all the help!

...go for a psp 3000, 200 or a go. [My favorite.]...
What makes you prefer the PSP Go? The size/form factor? What about being limited to 16GB of storage? Is this an issue for you?
Honestly I was looking at the PSP Go myself before I found out it's stuck at 16GB internal storage...

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What makes you prefer the PSP Go? The size/form factor? What about being limited to 16GB of storage? Is this an issue for you?
Honestly I was looking at the PSP Go myself before I found out it's stuck at 16GB internal storage...
Probabaly cause he didn't plan on overloading the system with too much stuff that she didn't want or need as a means of playing emulators, I mean not every game is worth the storage on the system. Some people would just download rom packs or something caused they are too lazy to pick each one of over 1000 for each system to just play :P

I only pick the ones i will play on the system not a pack of 1000 sometimes having those bootleg games Means even more unnecessary data added. :D

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the form factor its a plus, the 16gb storage size, was never an issue, for a person having 250gb of psp games, still, dont play all of them, most games varies from 300 to 600 megabytes, however, there are a few games that goes up to 1.2gb

as for emulator packs, the size of them its always a stander, snes the most completish, its about 3gb.
nes pack its always about 250 mb.
sega goes up to 350.

the heaviest its the GBA one, and probably the NeoGeo one.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the form factor its a plus, the 16gb storage size, was never an issue, for a person having 250gb of psp games, still, dont play all of them, most games varies from 300 to 600 megabytes, however, there are a few games that goes up to 1.2gb

as for emulator packs, the size of them its always a stander, snes the most completish, its about 3gb.
nes pack its always about 250 mb.
sega goes up to 350.

the heaviest its the GBA one, and probably the NeoGeo one.
Also all of the games can be compressed unless some emulators can't read roms inside of zip archives, but most can, and the psp can be cso compressed instead of iso.... but he only seem interested in Emulators. Psp go seems okay if you don't plan on getting every game for each emulator. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."