Portable emulation devices - give suggestions?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by TheKawaiiPug, Jul 5, 2016.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Gaussian refers simply to the audio filtering used, the Snes audio used Guassian, which gives is a muffled sound, a good example of bad audio would be Square Enix games, I think what I might do is make a blog/thread and compare emulators to emulators, IDK yet :P

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Weather or not emulators need to accuratly emulate the original sound is debateable. All i know is if it sounds good then okay, if it sounds better then even better. That spc700 chip is was impressive for is audio sound quality, as long as the games made good use of it like Final fantasy IV and chrono trigger as well as some others like the Donkey kong country killer instinct, Super mario rpg, Super turrican's Dobly surround sound and castlevania Dracula X

But it just depends on the game to be honest, Sega games have good audio, like sonic the hedgehog, sparkster, earthworm jim, Zero Wing and one of my favorites Toejam & Earl series as well as Monster world IV And wonderboy in moster world. Don't forget streets of rage as well. :)

we know by system specs and comparing snes was better but it was just how the audio is made and program that just have it be good. That sega cd PCM upgrade audio does help make some games sound better than that Genesis PSG Audio, and less not forget that sega master system FM audio chip enhancement.:ninja:

3. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Why don't you get a N3DS? It has decent emulators and via rom injection you can run SNES games better than a PSP could.

Other than that, some mentioned the Xperia Play. It's basically a PSP Go without PSP support, but it runs Android, so you have access to tons of emulators that run better than any emulator on a PSP, even SNES. The screen is higher res than the PSP's screen.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  4. mino_o

mino_o Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2016
    Yea i am looking on the new 3DS XL + R4 card. Seems like good choice too. It cost about 150e + maybe 25e for that card.
    About android consoles its great that they can emulate almost every console, but i dont know if it will be stable maybe after 2 years -> chines android device :P

5. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    No it cannot emulate everything but it does emulate a great deal of consoles well. I use it all the time and meats all expectations and more than original console does.:mellow:

6. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Stability is overrated. The 3DS gets stability updates every time. And these can break good stuff. Android, especially on cheap chinese devices, is a heaven for malware, but as long as you are using those devices for emulation only, you are fine.

7. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Then don't buy malware infested chinese products, Get Good old reliable with Virus protection like me. :yay:

8. mino_o

mino_o Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2016
    which is? :)

9. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    CLICK ME :ninja:

10. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    Does it really matter which malware is included? I prefer Chinese malware over NSA malware ;-)

Gesendet von meinem Elephone p6000 mit Tapatalk

11. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I thought malware was bad. :mellow:
    Havent you heard of "MALWARE BYTES" :P

12. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    Right, you could think of NSA as cloud storage

Gesendet von meinem Elephone p6000 mit Tapatalk

13. mino_o

mino_o Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2016
    Hmm i am thinking about that shield K1 now! the price is from 150e (used??) and 199e new one. Controler comes in package or do i need to buy one for 60e? :)

14. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Seperate purchase, controller only included with Sheild tv

15. mino_o

mino_o Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2016
    you have K1 or portable? Which emulators are best? I just download it from internet and i can play? no flash etc?

16. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I have all of them.
    Depends on what emulators you looking for, Retroarch supports just about every system a android can play flawlessly. But again depends on system you can find retroarch in google play store.

17. mino_o

mino_o Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2016
    Hmm so i am buying K1 then :) but retailers in EU have a bit problem with charger. Everyone have tablet+gamepad+cover but dont have chargers... its really crazy that you dont have charger in package with tablet :o

18. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Yeah, i dunno how they sell it in UK but i guess the decision was made to reduce price?

I bought mine in 2015 for $300 with no cover or gamepad but charger included.
    They recently early this year started selling it (Rebranded as Shield 1K) With reduced price and other things like no stylus pen and such, so that could be why.
    You can use any android charger (Micro usb) And it will work as intended. :)

19. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Raspberry Pi is a good portable emulation device.

It emulates many systems (via RetroPie), and many have modded it into Game Boy cases.

20. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    You do realize is technially a DECENT Low end micro computer running linux and NOT considered mobile device unless modded that way? :creep:

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted