Polybius

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
OP
Banned
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
2,678
Trophies
0
Location
USA
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
258
Country
United States
Would anyone like to talk about Polybius? You can download it for free here. Don't worry, the game is a freeware creation based on the description in the original story. The effects can be toggled on and off, as well, but you'll have to read the readme to figure out how to get to the effect toggles.

If you don't know what Polybius is, refer to this page. It says everything.

----------------------

I've just downloaded the game, flipped some toggles, played for a minute, and now I want to continue playing. The game caused my eyes to water severely, so I had to quit. I think I have a lingering headache from it, as well, but I can't be sure as I didn't feel the headache during game-play. It's actually a really fun game. It's kind of like Gyruss.

Seriously, though.. Had I been an epileptic, I would've probably had a seizure.
 

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
1,392
Trophies
0
Age
27
Website
Visit site
XP
262
Country
United States
Inunah said:
Would anyone like to talk about Polybius? You can download it for free here. Don't worry, the game is a freeware creation based on the description in the original story. The effects can be toggled on and off, as well, but you'll have to read the readme to figure out how to get to the effect toggles.

If you don't know what Polybius is, refer to this page. It says everything.

----------------------

I've just downloaded the game, flipped some toggles, played for a minute, and now I want to continue playing. The game caused my eyes to water severely, so I had to quit. I think I have a lingering headache from it, as well, but I can't be sure as I didn't feel the headache during game-play. It's actually a really fun game. It's kind of like Gyruss.

Seriously, though.. Had I been an epileptic, I would've probably had a seizure.

Polybius is quite interesting, though for some reason I think of "parodius" when I hear it; just similar titles, I guess.

Imagine if it actually existed...
 

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
1,392
Trophies
0
Age
27
Website
Visit site
XP
262
Country
United States
Inunah said:
Actually, you can download a mock-up of the game that worked surprisingly similar to the actual game....

Yeah, I know that.

However, the mock-up is seriously flawed as something as extravagant as it would have been impossible in 1981, even I-robot in 1983 (the first 3-D polygonal game) didn't have as good a frame-rate or as bright colors.

If they seriously wanted to make a good mock-up they would have made it look believable.

It would be best if it was actually made as an arcade game that can be added to MAME, possibly using the hardware of an early-80s title for a base (to get the best effects, the hardware of either a 3d vector game like battlezone or I-robot would be ideal)
 

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
OP
Banned
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
2,678
Trophies
0
Location
USA
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
258
Country
United States
But still, it follows the effects pretty well. Like, it does everything you hear it does. Then has some extras. The menu where you toggle all the options is very specific and detailed. Hell, there were even effects for hypersomnia and night terrors and shit.
 

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
1,392
Trophies
0
Age
27
Website
Visit site
XP
262
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Nobody who'd fall for internet hoaxes and creepypasta would care about those points as that was far before their time, though.

true, true.

Still, it IS one of the cooler urban legends. It even made its way into the simpsons.

PolybiusSimpsons3x18.jpg
 

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
OP
Banned
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
2,678
Trophies
0
Location
USA
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
258
Country
United States
personuser said:
Rydian said:
Nobody who'd fall for internet hoaxes and creepypasta would care about those points as that was far before their time, though.

true, true.

Still, it IS one of the cooler urban legends. It even made its way into the simpsons.

PolybiusSimpsons3x18.jpg
They should've had Bart playing Polybius. Way cooler that dumb ol' Triangle Wars.
 

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
1,392
Trophies
0
Age
27
Website
Visit site
XP
262
Country
United States
Inunah said:
personuser said:
Rydian said:
Nobody who'd fall for internet hoaxes and creepypasta would care about those points as that was far before their time, though.

true, true.

Still, it IS one of the cooler urban legends. It even made its way into the simpsons.

PolybiusSimpsons3x18.jpg
They should've had Bart playing Polybius. Way cooler that dumb ol' Triangle Wars.

Yeah.

Then maybe "Dead Bart" would have actually been an episode instead of just another creepypasta XD
 

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
1,392
Trophies
0
Age
27
Website
Visit site
XP
262
Country
United States
Inunah said:
personuser said:
Yeah.

Then maybe "Dead Bart" would have actually been an episode instead of just another creepypasta XD
You don't die when you play Polybius, although I'm not sure of that if you're prone to severe seizures...

Remember the episode when the japanese cartoon made bart have a seizure?

Ya, he'd die to the POLYBIUS.
evil.gif
 

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
OP
Banned
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
2,678
Trophies
0
Location
USA
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
258
Country
United States
personuser said:
Remember the episode when the japanese cartoon made bart have a seizure?

Ya, he'd die to the POLYBIUS.
evil.gif


You know, that could've been a parody of hundreds of Japanese kids watching the Porygon episode of Pokemon having seizures and being admitted to hospitals across Japan....
 

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Joined
Apr 10, 2004
Messages
6,975
Trophies
1
Location
Sweden
XP
6,744
Country
Sweden
personuser said:
Issac said:
Hmm.. it gives me a d3d something dll error :/

hmm...direct3D...

can you type the exact error it gives?

Yeah it was "missing d3drm.dll" on your computer..
Just downloaded it and put it in the same folder as the exe and it worked. pretty boring game though
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: