Hacking Discussion [POLL] Which dump do you prefer, XCI or NSP? Why?

Which backup do you prefer?

• XCI

• NSP

Results are only viewable after voting.

annson24

The Patient One
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Update (2018.10.15)

Original Post is outdated. Quite remarkable that the scene evolved so much in just three months (less than 2 years since the console was released). Now I'm going to differentiate the PROs and CONs of the two instead.

Let's start with XCI:

Pros:
  • Easy to use, just copy it to the sdcard and run it via SX OS.
  • Flexible, you can run it as is using SX OS (as mentioned above) or you can install it like an NSP.
  • *Safer to use compared to NSP since you can use a private cartridge cert and it doesn't use a fake ticket.
  • Can be installed to the internal storage.
  • You can split it into 4GB files so you can use it in a fat32 sdcard.
  • (NEW) Can be loaded from an external drive.
Cons:
  • You cannot run the XCI files as is (without installing it) on free CFWs like Atmosphere, ReiNX, RajNX, etc. Only SX OS, which is a paid CFW, can do that.
  • Larger file size than NSP, even when trimmed.
  • You cannot use a cartridge when you're emulating one using XCI on SX OS.

Next up, NSP:

Pros:
  • Smaller file size than XCI.
  • *There is a method in which we can modify the NSP files to remove the fake tickets from them so it'll be safer to use.
  • Can also be installed to the internal storage.
  • Loads faster than an emulated cartridge using XCI.
  • Can also be split into 4GB file size so you can use them in a fat32 sdcard.
Cons:
  • Needs to be installed first before we can play them.
  • The process of removing the fake tickets is not for the casual users.

Note:
* = moot

With all of those being said, I still prefer NSP over XCI since all my games now are in NSP format and because I'm quite used to using them already.

Did I miss anything? If so, post it here and I can update the OP.

Since the dawn of backup loading, especially the release of SX OS, the number of game backups from the net are starting to grow. Because of this, my storage drives are starting to fill up. As a matter of fact I already have one 500GB external hard drive full of games, some are duplicates of XCI and NSP and I'm having a hard time choosing which one to keep so I made this poll.

Personally I prefer NSP because of a few reasons:

1. I can install it in my internal storage.
2. I can use my cartridges without having to worry if I've emulated a game cart using SX OS.
3. I feel like the games load faster when installed than emulated (placebo?)
4. The games are readily playable in Horizon OS, no need to choose from the album.

However, there are also a few things I hate about NSPs:

1. To install the game is not as easy as how we use the XCI
2. Not to mention the risk (at the moment) with DevMenu in installing NSPs
3. I need twice as much storage space as the game size if I'm planning to install the game in the sdcard.

What do you guys prefer? And what are your inputs about it?

Last edited by annson24,

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally Its a 50/50 for me. I have a second switch that will never go online just for this stuff so the ban risk is 100% not there for me. I've loaded the devmenu, installed poke-quest with it and then loaded it from there lol

What I like about XCI is:
1. Its just a copy and paste over to my sd card and it works. I'm sad that IR games (LA Noire) dont work atm with the SX OS, but thats ok for now since they are looking into it.
2. You can trim them so you don't have to worry about that excess space being used up for nothing, but I guess this isnt for xci since NSP's dont take up random space.
3. (Personally with SX OS) I can just take all of my games with me wherever I go without having install a bunch of titles to my homemenu.
4.Id agree on the double space thing. Since there is no need for it on these types of things I feel like this makes it a 60/40 battle at this point.

NSP on the other hand:
1. Id say that they do load faster. They are actually installed to the device.
2. I do like being able to store NSP updates in the internal storage, probably the only thing that I will use the internal space for lol
3. No need to load the album and scroll through 30+ carts to find the one I want.

Reactions: annson24

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, considering they can't completely tell if you own the cart (xci) you are running, but they know if you bought the eshiop game (nsp) or not when you run the backups, I'm going to have to go with XCI.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always prefer whatever is safer over ease of convenience. Thankfully, .XCI has both! Joking aside, .XCI is pretty easy to install and update but a .NSP installer is superior when it comes to what it can do.

Harvin26

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I always prefer whatever is safer over ease of convenience. Thankfully, .XCI has both! Joking aside, .XCI is pretty easy to install and update but a .NSP installer is superior when it comes to what it can do.
how do you update your xci if may i ask

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
how do you update your xci if may i ask

In my case, I update through stock firmware, just press start (+) on the game icon, and update. I have never used internet while on SX, only in OF and until today, ('bout three weeks doing this) haven't been banned. Just remember to turn off wifi when you go back to SX or wathever CFW you use.

reckless0-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSP because I don't have to scroll through a list of games in order to mount the file. I also do not care about being banned.

NSWKUFU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
NSP of course, you can get them with the updates included, they're lighter and you can still play your cartridges without any issue.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is Iphone Mit?

It's a new prototype glove that improves touch screen accuracy (Mit is short for Mitten)

You have to phone them up and ask them for it, but to make sure you're a real apple fan they pretend it doesn't exist the first 100 times you call.

On the 101th call they will send you a complimentary iPhone Mit.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Still waiting for a homebrew NSP installer to come along, one that we don't have to inject into another title...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: