POLL: Should I get a PSP, Wii or something else?

Should I get a PSP, Wii or something else?

• PSP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wii

• Other (Specify)

• Total voters

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I'm sorta stuck between getting a PSP or Wii.

For my birthday, my Dad is going to allow me to buy a console (and maybe a few games) with my own money (he HATES games so this is rare), But I can only afford a cheap used console (as of now, I have about $150 in saved money I can spend from shoveling snow and mowing lawns), and I'm stuck between getting a hackable non-T088v3 PSP 2000 or a hackable wii. However, I have a lot to consider.

1. I already have a DS and some games for that, but the DS is REALLY weak in portable emulation, even with a DSTWO. The PSP has a damn fine emu scene and its 2D emulators (for Home consoles from atari to SNES and arcade games) are near perfect already - They work better than a dingoo, even! Daedalus is coming along nicely, too, even though I never expect to run a whole lot on it (but I hope it runs smash bros 1 OK), and I don't mind the other ridiculous emulators (nullDCPSP and YabausePSP) running ridiculously slow, as that is expected. On top of that, PSP actually has retail games, even though their number is a bit limited compared to other consoles. Still, it ain't perfect.

2. I already have a PS2 and a collection of about 15 retail titles for it, and they're all great and really cheap to get nowadays. However, emulation on PS2 SUCKS. They don't even have a decent SNES emu yet! (though there is a guy on PSXSCENE porting one) Because of this, I HAVE been looking for a home console with better emulation, and the wii is pretty strong in that regard, too. However, with something like Wii, you'd expect N64 to run well, and, well, the sound is kinda bad (not that daedalus is near as good, but there's a BIG power difference in same-gen portables and home consoles). As for retail games, the wii offers mostly platformers, of which I have tons of already for my PS2. Still the Wii has WAY more worthwhile retail games than PSP (including brawl), so what games are available is something I think about.

3. My budget IS limited, and wii games/hacks can get pricey. I lost most of my savings around christmas 2010, when my computer died and I had to shell out $500 to get a new one, leaving me with about $130. Through shoveling snow (5 bucks for each time I did it) I now have $150, and I might have even more by may. Still, I am NOT made of money. Many of the wii hacks I've seen are either expensive (I'm lookin' at you, WODE) or only temporary until a system update screws it up. With PSP there's CFW and a $6.00 pandora battery (plus a mms, but I'd get one anyway to store emu games) that stays every time you boot the system. Also, ALL of the good wii games sell for WAY more than the good PSP games, and I want to get at least one retail game with my console, I can't live off JUST emu'd stuff. with a PSP I'd expect to spend $70-100 for a hackable 2000, $6.00 for the pandora battery, and $50 for a 16GB Sony Memstick ($126-156.00) plus about $5.00 per game, used. With Wii I'd surely have to spend at least $100 for a used console, and still after that at least $30 for a second Wii controller (I ALWAYS have 2 controllers at least on home consoles) and $15 for a GC and/or Classic controller (for the emulators and GC games, if I get any) The hack wouldn't cost anything since I already have most of the things I need for it (SD cards, etc) but I'd need to get a bigger one (at least 16GB if I throw on some PSX games) to store my emulator games on, which is gonna run me $40-50. So, JUST for the console and controllers and storage it would cost at least $185, I think (If I'm wrong here, feel free to correct me) plus at LEAST $10 per game. Still, I could surely pocket $35 or more in 3 months if the wii is clearly a better choice.

4. I have a HUGE collection of PS1 games from my kidhood (about 37) so I have TONS of games for a PSP already (using the PSX to PSP converter) that will run perfectly. With wii I have to worry about emulating em. However, I can always just pop them in my PS2, and play em perfect on a big screen, though it's nice to have them portable.

5. I REALLY would love to have a console with good online play. I have no friends, and dad hates games, so when I wanna go up against someone in something besides tetris DS (which is filled with uber-japanese players), I'd like to be able to. Both the PSP and Wii can go online, and Both PSN and Wii...internet are free, and there's hacks for CFW to get onto PSN, so will one of these give me better online than the other?

6. I'm TOTALLY into import gaming, and I've already got my eyes set on Choaniki Zero and Parodius Portable if I get a PSP, so does the Wii have any quirky Japanese games that are still playable to an english speaker, too? The only one I've heard about was captain rainbow and it appears to be an RPG, meaning text-heavy and hard to play.
tongue.gif

So, yeah, I've got a lot to consider, and this is only the half of it I could think of right now. Should I get a PSP or a Wii, or something else completely? (And I'm not considering XBOX or PS3 because they're pretty much out of my price range)

Thanks, Temp.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I would say get a Wii if you want emulation. It has near perfect emus for countless consoles.

f you want PORTABLE emulation, then the PSP is definitely the best choice.

The Wii will be cheaper. You don't NEED Wode to play backups just softmod it.a Wii used from GameStop + 250 External HDD will be about 150.

ALso note, GameStop is having a promotion until the 6th of March, 50 percent added to every trade in, so that can help you get a boost for your purchase if you buy at GameStop. If you are worried about buying used, they have a month warrantee you can bring it back if it is messed up for another one.can Aslo note the 1 year warentee is ONLY 10 dollars... Better than Nintendo's (cause you can just exchange it at the store).

The PSP can be played online with ANY game using XLink Kai. You would enjoy Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star, and more online with that. And you wouldn't have to worry about Linking to PSN using XLink.

The PSP is fun but I usually rather play my retro games on real hardware or emus on Wii. I used to play on PSP but it drained the battery too fast, you have to overclock the PSP (333 mhz) for EVERY emu to get it running smooth (kinda like the DSTWO). My brand new PSP only would get 3 HOURS out of the GPSP emu. If you have a DSTWO just use that, dude.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Get a PSP. Lots of Wii games get very similar ports to the PSP, like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
Buy Tactics Ogre and you're set for a loooong time. If to that we add the DS then you're set.
DS + PSP = Bliss.
There aren't many online PSP games though, and the ones that can be played online are dead mostly, save for PSP2.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Get a PSP. Lots of Wii games get very similar ports to the PSP, like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
Buy Tactics Ogre and you're set for a loooong time. If to that we add the DS then you're set.
DS + PSP = Bliss.
There aren't many online PSP games though, and the ones that can be played online are dead mostly, save for PSP2.

DOn't forget about monster Hunter Portable 3rd. Only MILLIONS of people play that lol.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm on my phone right now, so I didn't read your entire post and most of the comments, but why not a 3DS? It comes out before yóur birthday, and probably has better online than the Wii and PSP.

If the 3DS isn't an option for you, just get a Wii or wait for the NGP if that appeals to you more. A PSP isn't worth it at all this point in the game.

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
I'm on my phone right now, so I didn't read your entire post and most of the comments, but why not a 3DS? It comes out before yóur birthday, and probably has better online than the Wii and PSP.

If the 3DS isn't an option for you, just get a Wii or wait for the NGP if that appeals to you more. A PSP isn't worth it at all this point in the game.

3DS isn't hacked yet, no emulators, more expensive games and costs $100 more than my budget so no
tongue.gif

NGP will cost even more
tongue.gif

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Schlupi said:
Goli said:
DS + PSP = Bliss.

DOn't forget about monster Hunter Portable 3rd. Only MILLIONS of people play that lol.
I wasn't referring to online ad-hoc games, infrastrucure ones rather. Guess I should have clarified that.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
IF your getting it for emulations/games....It depends....I like my PSP for portable emulations but the selection of games don't appeal to me. The wii has far superior emulation and better selection of games (this is all in my opinion), but it isn't portable which is how I enjoy my emulation.

If I were you I just get whatever suits you better and continue saving for the other. I have a Wii with a 1TB external and a PSP 2000 with a 8gb memory stick. I couldn't be happier.

If you are a good shopping you can get a 2000 and a 8gb memory stick for about $90 (like I did) and then (by Schlupi estimate) save another $90 for the Wii + external.

EDIT - 999th post n_n

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jintrigger, that would be absolutely ideal for me, but there is one thing you shoulda read in this before you posted;

my Dad is going to allow me to buy a console with my own money (he HATES games so this is rare)

He would NEVER let me get two, at least not in the same year
tongue.gif

So I'm still deciding, and it's about 50-50 so far.

Still, thanks for all the help so far, all you guys.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go with the PSP. I bought one sometime last year and I played it a lot then it kinda sat and gathered dust for a while. But nowadays I play it almost every day; I've just really had a revelation with the system and love it.

It's got a lot of games that you can just dump so many hours into, something I felt the DS lacks. Plus these games are also immensely deep.

It's got a great crop of RPGs, probably the best system in a long time for Strategy/SRPG games, and then there's all those Monster Hunter games and some clones that are worth playing. You've also got tons of games outside of those genres that are worth it. Oh, and Peace Walker is a huge plus for the system, I always rant and rave about how amazing it is.

You can probably get a used PSP-1000 for around $100 and then just get a nice big memory stick to go with it. Softmod it and you can just pirate all your games.

The Wii isn't a bad choice either but I'd wait a bit for when the price drops even more. There's nothing really exciting coming up for it outside of Skyward Sword (seeing as The Last Story and Xenoblade seem like their missing out on localizations) so you can live without it. The PSP has some great stuff coming up for it in March, on the other hand.

Either way you won't really miss out, both are pretty solid but I'll throw my hat in for the PSP.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I would go with the PSP. If you can hack it.'

If you can't-- they suck.

...each is entitled to their own opinion...

if I THINK hacked consoles / handhelds are the shit :

that's MY preference. Not yours.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say get a PSP if you're going to play it, you know, when you're not at home. I can carry my Wii with my into my car and be able to play it, but that would be quite pointless. Otherwise, since your birthday is in May, wait for the 3DS and get a used one, because there's always that one person who doesn't like what they have bought after a while.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:

You really had to edit your post to add that?

Stop with your Sony hatespeech. It's annoying. I don't care about this whole court case they're doing, they still make some great systems. If you can't acknowledge that then you're just jaded.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hikaru said:
I say get a PSP if you're going to play it, you know, when you're not at home. I can carry my Wii with my into my car and be able to play it, but that would be quite pointless. Otherwise, since your birthday is in May, wait for the 3DS and get a used one, because there's always that one person who doesn't like what they have bought after a while.

or realize they can't afford the credit card payment and interest and therefore must sell it
tongue.gif

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
double post :

Even though GBATEMP said my first post didn't go though
unsure.gif

Guild McCommunist said:
stanleyopar2000 said:

You really had to edit your post to add that?

Stop with your Sony hatespeech. It's annoying. I don't care about this whole court case they're doing, they still make some great systems. If you can't acknowledge that then you're just jaded.

I didn't say SONY THEMSELVES sucked [in that post anyway] (shows how quick people can get offended by things they "don't care about")

anyway...

I said "they" as in the PSP ITSELF.

the PSP is an awesome device...if it's been modded IMO.

If I couldn't have modded mine..I wouldn't have got one

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Of course I'd mod it
tongue.gif
I even said in the OP that I was gonna get a non-to88v3 2000. Why would I want that BESIDES for modding?

IMO the double RAM of the slim is totally worth the extra trouble to find a GOW, Daxter or Star Wars PSP.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
Of course I'd mod it
tongue.gif
I even said in the OP that I was gonna get a non-to88v3 2000.

Mine was the Daxter Pack Special one....

the first lineup of the PSP Slim
biggrin.gif

and it modded fine with my MAX POWER TOOL SLIM
tongue.gif
(can't get those anymore!)

the PSP GO has also been hacked...but it's not really complete yet as Sony could stop it with a OFW update

then you have a useless brick.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
Of course I'd mod it
tongue.gif
I even said in the OP that I was gonna get a non-to88v3 2000. Why would I want that BESIDES for modding?

IMO the double RAM of the slim is totally worth the extra trouble to find a GOW, Daxter or Star Wars PSP.

Be careful with the red GOW. the second shipment of those are non-fully hackable motherboards (as are the second release Madden Blue ones).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: