Hacking [Poll] Bans and "send information about the console to Nintendo"

Were you banned, and did you have this option enabled?

• I have it enabled and was banned

Votes: 328 32.1%
  • I have it enabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 359 35.2%
  • I have it disabled and was banned

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • I have it disabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 281 27.5%

• Total voters

Pardolas

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi guys! i want to share my experience about that:
we are 5 friends playing mhxx online and local with english patch. Non of us used cheats or mods. All of us have CFW BUT 2 of us are still using cfw on 11.3 eu ver with luma 7.0.1. (with FBI, freeshop, etc)
We all had the options enabled 'till yesterday!

the result is: the 3 people that has cfw on 11.4 got the ban today

So i'm wondering if is possible that this ban affect only people who "upgrade" to 11.4 cfw? and so could it be that NIN implemented something to detect cfw?

Last edited by Pardolas,
D

Deleted User

FWIW, I got what I think is 002-109 (I ran the NASC auth directly and it gave returnCD 109 but apparently according to docs that's just an issue with what you use)

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm yeah, I hope the CFW and exploit programmers are able to implement safeguards to minimize the risk of being detected as much as possible. Who knows maybe we can disable the whole "phone home" module or maybe add a module that redirects the sniffing URLs to 127.0.0.1. I do think that updates and such still have to work, atleast in the EU because while it's well in their right to restrict online access I'm sure the EU will give them hell if they practically stop 3DS's from working normally with homebrew being legal here.

I'm also all for banning online cheaters and hackers and I think a whole online blanket ban is rather unfortunate even though I understand why Nintendo does it. I bought all the games I dumped as .cia's and the last time I "cheated" online in any way was when I was 16 or so, WoW Burning Crusade was new and I glitched myself with friends under Stormwind City :P Okay and one time I ended up in hacked lobby in Modern Warfare 2 but that wasn't my fault :P

But yeah you raise a good point, I would advise nobody to buy second-hand 3DS's until the reason is 100% determined and we can see if anything can be done about it :/

Just the nature of the beast, sadly. Detection methods will just root out modified software and ban everyone. Rather than specifically aim for some cheating code. All CFW is a potential threat for Nintendo.

I have a N3DS I could cannibalise as I think you can unban yourself with an unbanned console (doing some early reading on seed files or something). It's a N3DS and my banned unit is a N3DSXL. I'm convinced Nintendo will just keep banning now that they seem to have found a way to feel confident they're only hitting CFW users. No matter what creators of CFW do to try and mitigate detection, only Nintendo know how they find things out. As always, if you connect to their online services you open yourself up for detection.

The only thing to do now is to wait and see if it's ban waves which is a safe bet. IIRC the bans for cheating in the crane catcher game were done in waves. They've never been lifted either. On that note, lots of us probably use custom badges and custom themes too! Again, all these sorts of things can leave traces lying around.

Last edited by Audioboxer,
Reactions: SkyDX

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated list. Still a few available. If anyone still need help, feel free to PM me.
1.jpg

Reactions: mijavex

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just the nature of the beast, sadly. Detection methods will just root out modified software and ban everyone. Rather than specifically aim for some cheating code. All CFW is a potential threat for Nintendo.

I have a N3DS I could cannibalise as I think you can unban yourself with an unbanned console (doing some early reading on seed files or something). It's a N3DS and my banned unit is a N3DSXL. I'm convinced Nintendo will just keep banning now that they seem to have found a way to feel confident they're only hitting CFW users. No matter what creators of CFW do to try and mitigate detection, only Nintendo know how they find things out. As always, if you connect to their online services you open yourself up for detection.

The only thing to do now is to wait and see if it's ban waves which is a safe bet. IIRC the bans for cheating in the crane catcher game were done in waves. They've never been lifted either. On that note, lots of us probably use custom badges and custom themes too! Again, all these sorts of things can leave traces lying around.

Yeah you are right with everything you say. I'm aware that there isn't a 100% safeguard against the detection and of course Nintendo will ban everyone they catch doing things they are not supposed to do in their eyes but if I think back to the early XBOX 360 days there were later some supposedly "Stealth Firmwares" or something like that that prevented detection rather well provided you lay low and don't do something openly stupid that screams: "HEY I'M USING CFW!!!!" so I hope with how well we can analyze the 3DS OS now we eventually reach the same level, where we aren't 100% safe but atleast can play online provided we have an unbanned seed and take precautions each time we do.

Last edited by SkyDX,

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah you are right with everything you say. I'm aware that there isn't a 100% safeguard against the detection and of course Nintendo will ban everyone they catch doing things they are not supposed to do in their eyes but if I think back to the early XBOX 360 days there were later some supposedly "Stealth Firmwares" or something like that that prevented detection rather well provided you lay low and don't do something openly stupid that screams: "HEY I'M USING CFW!!!!" so I hope with how well we can analyze the 3DS OS now we eventually reach the same level, where we aren't 100% safe but atleast can play online provided we have an unbanned seed and take precautions each time we do.

I'm pretty certain MS got there, in the end, to nail everyone using CFW, even "stealth" attempts. Although, many were clipped quickly for using games obtained early with incorrect "headers". I can't remember what it was called in relation to 360 games, but by "header" I mean the game itself was detectable as non-retail/modified. A LOT of what people install on 3DS devices is modified, especially emulation stuff (injections and what not). Then things like FBI/Homebrew Channel and more stand out too.

"Phoning home" can be attempted to get shut down by CFW devs, but at the end of the day FW itself can do many things to log unauthorised software and ANY connection to a Nintendo online server can result in the passing of information. Even just playing a game online, especially if it's Nintendo servers. However, sure, as it's Nintendo and they tend to half ass a lot of security/online functionality, right now it may be something as "simple" as them using spotpass to do it. I'm sceptical, I think they've been collecting data for a bit whilst refining their security measures behind the scenes. I mean, they do have to get it right and not ban incorrectly.

Right now I think it's genuinely a case of waiting a few weeks to check for ban waves. I do not think anyone should be rushing off to get their console unbanned unless they are going 100% clean. Otherwise, I personally think you'll be sitting on two banned 3DS.

Last edited by Audioboxer,

SkyDX

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm pretty certain MS got there, in the end, to nail everyone using CFW, even "stealth" attempts. Although, many were clipped quickly for using games obtained early with incorrect "headers". I can't remember what is was called in relation to 360 games, but by "header" I mean the game itself was detectable as non-retail/modified. A LOT of what people install on 3DS devices is modified, especially emulation stuff (injections and what not). Then things like FBI/Homebrew Channel and more stand out too.

"Phoning home" can be attempted to get shut down by CFW devs, but at the end of the day FW itself can do many things to log unauthorised software and ANY connection to a Nintendo online server can result in the passing of information. Even just playing a game online, especially if it's Nintendo servers. However, sure, as it's Nintendo and they tend to half ass a lot of security/online functionality, right now it may be something as "simple" as them using spotpass to do it. I'm sceptical, I think they've been collecting data for a bit whilst refining their security measures behind the scenes. I mean, they do have to get it right and not ban incorrectly.

Hmm I'm not sure actually as I never was into the 360 business but I do remember something about a Wave 3 Patcher or something that fixed headers as legit to counter that but yeah in retrospect we have been really careless with the 3DS. No point in dwelling on that though, we can only make the future of CFW users better from here out on. I'm also hoping that Nintendo isn't too sophisticated in their detection attempts given their general sloppiness regarding online but yeah they have to make sure legit users aren't getting caught (which might have already happened in a few cases from what I've read here, of course with no evidence) so I guess all we can do at the moment is wait and see.

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm I'm not sure actually as I never was into the 360 business but I do remember something about a Wave 3 Patcher or something that fixed headers as legit to counter that but yeah in retrospect we have been really careless with the 3DS. No point in dwelling on that though, we can only make the future of CFW users better from here out on. I'm also hoping that Nintendo isn't too sophisticated in their detection attempts given their general sloppiness regarding online but yeah they have to make sure legit users aren't getting caught (which might have already happened in a few cases from what I've read here, of course with no evidence) so I guess all we can do at the moment is wait and see.

Personally I always think claims of "I'm legit" are 99.9% untrue lol.

At the end of the day even just having CFW running with NO modified CIAs, homebrew or emulators means you're not legit. That being the ultimate fear. That Nintendo have found a way to detect CFW itself.

Reactions: SkyDX

Metalcape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just voted in the poll, I am not banned (checked 1 minute ago) and both options were always enabled on my console. It's an O3DS with a9lh 11.3, I was about to upgrade to boot9strap but then I read about the banwave. Also, I have never turned it on in the last 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by Metalcape,

danzou22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still not banned yet since the first day of the ban wave so i remove all the spotpass of every game. I'll notice if i get banned even with the spotpass off.
Do you mean streetpass? Or is there a spotpass different from the setting option also in the games? I have spotpass from settings off but I dont see any spotpass in games (only streetpass)

suzsuzuki

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What about streetpass? Maybe after use homepass my "last played game" appears as FBI. I know it pass through Ninty servers using homepass.

See below an exemple:

20160313_130638-jpg.42275

danzou22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Please vote here now: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5928430ce4b0b05216c475e9 it also includes the other likely option, I'll give the results when there's enough data
I had both options ON but when yesterday (first hours of the ban wave) I noticed nintendo was banning I did the following: with the router off I deactivated both options, but I didnt check if I was banned until half an hour from now. I am no banned, I have A9LH, Luma 6, the freetienda and fbi, devmenu, etc. So I dont know what option choose.
Edit: sorry I didnt read "If an option was disabled recently, it counts as being enabled."

Last edited by danzou22,

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have any of you guys that got banned NOT used the homebrew launcher?

I had SpotPass enabled, I used PKSM to level up Pokemon and use them online, and I have freeshop, but I haven't been banned. I don't touch the homebrew launcher, though.

SkyDX

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Personally I always think claims of "I'm legit" are 99.9% untrue lol.

At the end of the day even just having CFW running with NO modified CIAs, homebrew or emulators means you're not legit. That being the ultimate fear. That Nintendo have found a way to detect CFW itself.

That's very true yeah, people often say something to console themselves :P Although I differentiate between morally legit and legally legit so while I'm certainly not legally legit I like to think I'm morally legit :P And that would actually be a pretty good test if anyone is willing to bite that bullet, that way we could narrow the detection down.

Disharmony16

~DooM-BringeR~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean streetpass? Or is there a spotpass different from the setting option also in the games? I have spotpass from settings off but I dont see any spotpass in games (only streetpass)
I mean spotpass, some games ask you if you want to share info with nintendo, that is spotpass and i disable all of these options

Kawaii-Tora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have both, a New 3DS and Old 3DS. both have boot9strap and luma installed, all otions enabled an both are not banned. Online Play is used just for legit games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone