Hacking Pokemon SMD Save corruption? Gateway

GenLyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this in the wrong area, new here and can't seem to find where to post.

So I have a retail version of Pokemon Super Mystery dungeon, and I was backing it up to play on my backup rom so I can sell it, but it ends up being corrupted. I used Gateway launcher to back up my save data. I renamed the backed up .sav file the title ID and everything but it still ends up corrupted, and it's also a card 1 type. 512KB and everything. I google'd and looked around but no solutions came up that really helped me. I tried someone else's rom already, didn't work as well as my own back up.

*Just tried launching Stella Glow. So it looks like all my saves become corrupted.
**Also renamed to .3dz

Last edited by GenLyfe,
D

Deleted-236924

Are you on 4.5 sysnand? Were these games played on that same 3ds or another one that is on higher firmware?

I don't know if that is a problem anymore, but I remember that with the new save encryption from 6.x, games that used the newer encryption will save and load fine regardlesa of firmware, but it depends on your sysnand or something.

So if you played such a game and saved on another 3ds that is above 6.x, no hacks, would work fine, but as soon as you tried the same game on <6.x sysnand, it would read it as corrupted, or vice-versa.

If that isn't supposed to be a problem anymore then disregard me... But still worth looking into, I think.

GenLyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you on 4.5 sysnand? Were these games played on that same 3ds or another one that is on higher firmware?

I don't know if that is a problem anymore, but I remember that with the new save encryption from 6.x, games that used the newer encryption will save and load fine regardlesa of firmware, but it depends on your sysnand or something.

So if you played such a game and saved on another 3ds that is above 6.x, no hacks, would work fine, but as soon as you tried the same game on <6.x sysnand, it would read it as corrupted, or vice-versa.

If that isn't supposed to be a problem anymore then disregard me... But still worth looking into, I think.
9.0. New 3DS (emuNAND 9.5)

My 4.5 and 9.0 O3DS give me the same problem (emuNAND 9.9 and 10.3 respectively).
Forgot to answer the second question, but yes. I played both my stated games on my Legit (no softmod or anything) 10.3 N3DS. I guess that's where the problem lies?

Last edited by GenLyfe,
D

Deleted-236924

I remember there being a thread where someone had a similar problem with all saves getting corrupted but I cannot remember where it was to save my life... I think they had figured out the problem too.

If I find it again I'll link it.

GenLyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember there being a thread where someone had a similar problem with all saves getting corrupted but I cannot remember where it was to save my life... I think they had figured out the problem too.

If I find it again I'll link it.
I think I know what you're talking about, but that didn't help me personally for whatever solution they provided. It was on maxconsole or something.

D

Deleted-236924

Oh, no, I saw a thread about it here on gbatemp. But like i said I can't remember where it was... Once I'm actually on my computer in a few hours I can try to find it again. Not really practical to do that over mobile and I don't have much time left x.x

GenLyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, no, I saw a thread about it here on gbatemp. But like i said I can't remember where it was... Once I'm actually on my computer in a few hours I can try to find it again. Not really practical to do that over mobile and I don't have much time left x.x
I tried several on the website, too. None of them worked unbfortunately. I have no idea what I'm supposed to search for, I'm mainly searching for "retail save corrupted gateway 3ds" or in that general search term on google. NTR method doesn't work, so my only option is to start over? That sucks...

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else know why this is happening?
It's because the saves Gateway only accepts save files of a certain size to use with the Red Card, and those ripped via the launcher vary in size. At least if memory serves. If you're desperate to use your cart save, you'd probably need to extract it using SaveDataFiler or NTR, then import it to Gateway or to a CIA.

EDIT: Saw it was the right size. Would still recommend ripping it using SaveDataFiler though.

GenLyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because the saves Gateway only accepts save files of a certain size to use with the Red Card, and those ripped via the launcher vary in size. At least if memory serves. If you're desperate to use your cart save, you'd probably need to extract it using SaveDataFiler or NTR, then import it to Gateway or to a CIA.

EDIT: Saw it was the right size. Would still recommend ripping it using SaveDataFiler though.
Thanks, I'll do that and see what happens.

Dotmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I downloaded the game from the rom site, and it kept going corrupted after chapter 11. Not sure if related. 9.0 Sys, 10.3 Emu .3DZ file.

GenLyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you'd need to reimport it using SaveDataFiler too. There's a way to do it with Card1 games but I'm not all that familiar with it myself.
I can't import it then. It'll give me CTR Broken error. :(

Only reason I'm desparate is because I spent quite a bit of time on the game already, 50 hours. I spent quite some time as well on my other games... I'd really like to be able to use them backed up.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't import it then. It'll give me CTR Broken error. :(

Only reason I'm desparate is because I spent quite a bit of time on the game already, 50 hours. I spent quite some time as well on my other games... I'd really like to be able to use them backed up.
I'm fairly sure there is a way to import it, something like changing the ID to a Card2 game. Search the forum, there'll be a guide somewhere. Otherwise, just get/make a CIA and import it like that.

Reactions: GenLyfe

GenLyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fairly sure there is a way to import it, something like changing the ID to a Card2 game. Search the forum, there'll be a guide somewhere. Otherwise, just get/make a CIA and import it like that.
I'll keep looking. Thanks for having the patience to try and help out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte