Pokemon Red, Missingno. and emulating

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Xarsah16, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Xarsah16
    OP

Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Oct 6, 2007
    Hyrule
    Currently, I am emulating Pokemon Red Version, the original release [​IMG] on Lameboy using my Acekard2i.

I remember that with the regular pokemon red cartridges, it was real easy to mess them up with excess manipulation of the Missingno. glitch.

If I decide to have fun with the various glitches in this game, what's the worst that can happen? Can it brick my Acekard? Or will it just mess up the ROM to the point where I can't play it? (I can always readd a new ROM to the cart though.) Is there a chance that the game could even brick my DSi?

I know Missingno. screws up the E4 Hall of Fame data and does some other things to the game itself, but I just want to know if it can render my hardware unuseable.

2. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    United States
    Las Vegas, NV
    Most likely, it will just mess up your save game. Not much else.

3. toguro_max

toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2007
    Brazil
    São Vicente, Brazil
    Remember one thing (sometimes I also forget it): ROM -> Read Only Memory. No cheat will cause anything to it, ever. Your save file will be, as dudeoline said, pretty messed up and even un-usable, but no hardware harm will be done (remember, you are emulating a game, and rarely a softare will damage a hardware).

4. umjamalama

umjamalama Member

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2009
    unless its a trapper keeper.