Pokemon Platinum : Problem with TheNewPokeText

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Coldlake!, Aug 2, 2009.

Aug 2, 2009
  1. Coldlake!
    OP

Newcomer Coldlake! Newbie

France
    I beg your pardon for my english level, but i'm french, sorry >_<

I come here because i've got a problem with TheNewPokeText and Pokemon Platinum. Il tryed to modify text in the game, but it' didn't work. Sometimes, it crashes when i patch the file with "patch ******.xml", sometimes, it works but the game is still with original texts. I tryed to only get .xml file, modify it, patch it and reinsert pl_msg.narc and msg.narc with PPRE but it' doesnt work, my game is'nt modified.

I tryed another way. I saw this on this website : "Its meant to work with DP but you can still use it for platinum. Just rename pl_msg.narc to msg.narc (and msg.narc to something else) whenver you want to edit something that is in pl_msg.narc. thenewpoketext re-encrypts and works great."
    So i tryed to delete pl_msg.narc and rename msg.narc in pl_msg.narc, but now the rom is totally broken, it's written MUM instead of Yes, YOU instead of No...

So, if somebody could explain me how to do, i'll be very happy, we are trying to make this game work since 05:00AM. [​IMG]

Thanks ! [​IMG]

2. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Pokemon Platinum has a lot of left over junk from diamond and pearl in the rom. The messages is also one of them. TNPT is coded to get the messages from msg.narc and patch the edits to msg.narc. That is in the platinum rom in the msgdata folder, but there is also another file which is used for platinum. This is pl_msg.narc. So to use TNPT correctly with platinum, you need to make a copy of msg.narc, then rename pl_msg.narc to msg.narc then go on with the message dumping and editing and patching. Then rename msg.narc to pl_msg.narc and recopy msg.narc back.

3. Coldlake!
    OP

Newcomer Coldlake! Newbie

France
    It works, thanks !

4. Andrecito77

Member Andrecito77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  5. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I made a little video tutorial on what you need to do.

*edit* I deleted the video, because I don't really want anything other than what I normally upload on my channel.