Pokemon Let's Go will have specific requirements in order to fight Gym Leaders

tQY1AgH.png

Since the announcement of Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee and Pikachu, fans have been debating and contesting a lot of the changes this spinoff entry seems to be making. From the Pokemon Go integration, to the new way to capture Pokemon, and more, there's been no doubt that this game is trying to differentiate itself from the mainline titles. Now, according to a new update post on the Japanese Pokemon site, there's a new feature in regards to Gym Battles. Now, players can only pass when they meet set requirements. These range from having a certain Pokemon type, level, and other specifications.

It's not entirely explained if you only have to show these types of Pokemon to get through the door, or if you need to keep the Pokemon in your party throughout the Gym fight. But it certainly is a shake-up to the formula that could potentially get in the way of beloved Nuzlockes and other self-imposed challenges, like monotype runs. We'll be sure to keep you updated if more information is announced.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do games do this, seriously? People were able to play the Gameboy games. Why do game developers seem to think children of today are stupider than in the 90s? Children of today have many more expectations in school. Now more than ever, children are interacting with technology. By middle school they instinctively know how to use a computer and whatnot. Why is it that game developers don't understand that, and implement these arbitrary "tests of skill"?

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
they should make pokemon tv show with real actors and 3d animated pokemons
The main characters would be like 16-18years old
the seasons would be like 22-23 episodes with like 2 gym leader per season
I dont mind about blood and sex in pokemon, but no death please

well, thats just an idea :P

Well... Actually I wouldn't say no to this :P But it wouldn't be consistent with the world of Pokemon, and Nintendo would never allow it haha

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do games do this, seriously? People were able to play the Gameboy games. Why do game developers seem to think children of today are stupider than in the 90s? Children of today have many more expectations in school. Now more than ever, children are interacting with technology. By middle school they instinctively know how to use a computer and whatnot. Why is it that game developers don't understand that, and implement these arbitrary "tests of skill"?
Oh, I wouldn't go so far to say that middle schoolers know how to use a computer as a rule. You'd be astounded by how many kids and teens who grew up with this tech are completely technologically illiterate. I do agree with your point though; I think it's unnecessary hand-holding. Part of the fun of old games was doing things in the stupidest of ways when you're a kid and still making progress.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why do games do this, seriously? People were able to play the Gameboy games.
People back then read manuals (ok, they were useless beyond controls, or actively misleading for the case of Pokemon gen 1) and the rich kids with parents that paid for internet by the minute read gamefaqs :D, while now I suspect many solutions to 10-seconds-if-you-know-it problems are hidden in the dreaded 8 minute youtube video

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could easily give them out over Wi-Fi or through serial codes that people can give to others.
I'm not saying that they couldn't do better, although it remains to be seen whether they will do proper distributions later. I'm just pointing out that it was arguably worse during the original Gen 1. (All the way through Gen 3 for that matter. Better hope you lived in Japan, the large countries of Western Europe, or the US. Otherwise you were probably screwed event-wise. And if you lived in the US, better hope you lived near a major city. Otherwise you were probably still screwed.)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
although it remains to be seen whether they will do proper distributions later.
According to standard gamefreak tradition of adding a great, almost univerally acclaimed feature then removing it for the next game, let me remind you that they timidly started wifi events in gen 4/5 then had to put a stupid disposable-code method in for the 3DS... :)

Reactions: daxtsu

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that they couldn't do better, although it remains to be seen whether they will do proper distributions later. I'm just pointing out that it was arguably worse during the original Gen 1. (All the way through Gen 3 for that matter. Better hope you lived in Japan, the large countries of Western Europe, or the US. Otherwise you were probably screwed event-wise. And if you lived in the US, better hope you lived near a major city. Otherwise you were probably still screwed.)
True. Gen 1-3 Events sucked because of limited hardware (no wifi, link cable, e-reader, gba wireless adapter, Colosseum bonus disc, etc).
Gen 4: Wifi events, wireless local events (Gamestop, Toys-R-Us, Tournaments, etc.), local transfer (wonder card sending), receiving events/gifts from other games, etc.
Gen 5: Gen 4 + Serial codes, infrared, etc.
Gen 6-7: Gen 5, but also with Pokemon Bank.

Plenty of ways to get screwed, but plenty of ways to get events even to this day.

Gen 1-2 (Injection of event Pokemon into the game's save file. Physical, external device required.)
Gen 3 (Injection of wonder cards into the game's save file, external tools/emulators for e-reader events (a real e-reader may work, never did it), requires either an external device or Nintendo DS with a GBA slot and homebrew/flashcart)
Gen 4-7 (Wonder Card injection, event distribution carts, etc.)
Basically everything requires homebrew and/or software and/or external tools/hardware.

As for LGPE and other upcoming Switch Pokemon games, system security might make it hard for everyone to do it at first. Patched consoles are already in the wild. No one was ever banned for just for injecting events, but it's even more possible now with Nintendo banning and restricting the online functionality for hacked/homebrewed Switches.

Last edited by Thunder Hawk,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised people are surprised. Nintendo has been getting more and more hand-holdy with their IPs through the years, they've been trying to re-capture that "ultra casual" audience the Wii and DS both had before Smartphones became a thing and it's been extremely evident especially with their handheld games (and Pokemon, in particular).

I just hope they abandon at least some of this causal BS with their next main line Pokemon game, but knowing Nintendo I'm sure it'll be just as baby-friendly as this is.

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised people are surprised. Nintendo has been getting more and more hand-holdy with their IPs through the years, they've been trying to re-capture that "ultra casual" audience the Wii and DS both had before Smartphones became a thing and it's been extremely evident especially with their handheld games (and Pokemon, in particular).

I just hope they abandon at least some of this causal BS with their next main line Pokemon game, but knowing Nintendo I'm sure it'll be just as baby-friendly as this is.
I hope they eventually give Pokemon (the actual creatures) more personality and allow more interaction instead of just flavor text and copy-pasting amie.

Reactions: ChaosEternal

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

well, you know, we adult have learned Pokemon by ourself
we didnt have that many tutorial, but once you know how to play one pokemon game, you know how to play them all (well, the main serie i mean, ofc
But as for kid of today, who maybe never had a pokemon game in their hand and start it at 5 years old, i understand why its so "hand-holdy"
Today Pokemon games are getting more and more developped
tons of new features in recent games

us, adult, the main features we discovered in RSE are berries
in GSC we had berry, przcureberry, psncureberry, and such
In RSE, we got different berries with cool names
Ofc, in RSE, there was contest as well, but they were sooo optional...
I never really took the challenge actually xd

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not planning on buying this but I'm praying (in vain) that this won't sell well.
GameFreak seems obsessed with low-effort casualization and the last thing the mainline series needs is more of that.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not planning on buying this but I'm praying (in vain) that this won't sell well.
GameFreak seems obsessed with low-effort casualization and the last thing the mainline series needs is more of that.
apparently,this game isnt part of the main line series
its a spin-off according to deary @Chary

Brigand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well I suppose it acts as two things, a mechanic to make the game easier and essentially hold your hand, as well as a bit of a challenge or 'quest' kind of thing. I mean, if you really think about it, it's aim is to get you to catch more Pokemon, seeing as though you level up by catching them and of course having to catch a certain type of Pokemon could act as a neat little challenge for the kiddies. It is quite obviously a game aimed at younger players, and I think they'd enjoy this kind of thing. Will I get much joy out of it? Probably not, but I'm waiting on next year's title. The only reason I would be annoyed by this mechanic is if it made its way into the main series games.

Last edited by Brigand,

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasnt this busted tho?
There was a gym battle video and they didnt have to use the pokemon needed at the door.
Also others have said that this was only for the first gym.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wasnt this busted tho?
There was a gym battle video and they didnt have to use the pokemon needed at the door.
Also others have said that this was only for the first gym.
Yeah very possible it's part of some early tutorial. Even if it wasn't I wouldn't care, it's not like any NPC trainer in the series has ever presented a real challenge before. So nothing would change in that regard.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I really hope this doesn't mean the game is more linear like S/US/M/UM were. Pokemon needs to go non-linear in their gameplay. I don't mind if there is requirements for the gyms, I am just hoping the gaming isn't super linear.

Reactions: chartube12

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and so i got mashle instead, which is actually quite good
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    GUYS YOU CAN LAUNCH HEALTH AND SAFETY INFO IN AROMA NOW
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan,i only watched anime
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for anyone wondering what that is, basically, it's about the one person in the world without magic, instead he's just dummy strong
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr. What and Dr. Where got lost together somewhere in time, Dr. When is looking for them
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What about Dr. How?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    OR DR. WHY?
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    @Xdqwerty sorry i get excited when i get to see what type of laser the wii u uses
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    They ALL went to Nurse Why's house
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: SCPs started from some Dr. Who fanfic or smth on 4chan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr How and Why, will be in the prequel
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, or dr when
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    dr what
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooohhh the steamy scene with Nurse Why. omg :blush:
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty is Dr. Wut
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey gets mad and tells me its a bad habit to bite your nails, even though I told her I washed my feet first.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Dr Strange is a gynecologist for prostitutes.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Going where lots of men have gone before
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i tear off my nails
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it was a joke, but I used to bite my nails when I was young, but when I started doing construction work and seen what crap was under my nails, I stopped.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    What i said isnt a joke
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sometimes yea when they get real long, you want to, but I always end up with a bloody finger or hangnails.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well that's 30 minutes worth of complaining
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They send you the wrong STD medicine again?
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: They send you the wrong STD medicine again?