Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee to omit abilities and held items

LGPE.png

To say that the Pokémon 'Let's Go' games are catering to the casual audience more than the core audience would be understating the matter. The game has only the original 151 Pokémon, removes wild battles, and now Serebii has determined yet another change in the formula for Let's Go.

After playing the game earlier today, Serebii has determined that both abilities and held items are absent. This is yet another change that may upset the more dedicated fans. Interestingly, Serebii has confirmed that IVs and EVs are still present in some form, despite being a far more complicated mechanic.

:arrow:Source

ANTONIOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Seriously, talking about game play, are Final Fantasy XIII devs developing this game in secret instead of Nintendo, Game Freak, blah blah blah?

Dubbicakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to throw a wrench into your argument or anything, but that article doesn't say anything but "It'll be better than ever before".
That's exactly what they're saying about the Let's Go games now, why is it different for the 2019 title?

Masuda has stated that he wants to bridge the gap between casual and core players with the Let's Go games, and that if they are successful the Let's go games would bleed into the 2019 games to make them more casual for all players to enjoy.
Better to wait for proof than having faith.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Abilities and held items weren't in gen1 though.
So? This is just a cherry on top of all the dumbed down things about the game.
Were we required to have a super effective Pokemon in Gen 1 to even participate in Gym Battles? Were Wild encounters just throwing the Ball stupidly like in Pokemon Go? This shit just piles up and then you add in the fact that this game costs 60€, 100€ if you want a stupid Pokeball toy, as opposed to 40~45€ Pokemon games used to cost on the Handhelds. Instead of making catching Pokemon more interesting with new mechanics this shit is just getting dumbed down in a series that already suffers from criticism about being way too easy. Not to mention it tries to cater to the Pokemon Go audience, the majority of which probably isn't interested in console gaming.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They didn't remove wild battles.

They remove forced random wild encounters. The pokemon still pop up randomly, and they're still wild encounters, but you can just not walk into them if you'd like.

Oh unless you mean, no fighting? just throwing the ball? I guess that's right then X'D

Last edited by osaka35,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Instead of making catching Pokemon more interesting with new mechanics this shit is just getting dumbed down in a series that already suffers from criticism about being way too easy.
Exactly, it's always been easy, it's always been more of a kid's game series. You and I aren't the target audience, so if you don't like it any more you can always move on. Personally I always enjoy my time with Pokemon games no matter how mind-numbingly easy they are.

Given that GameFreak basically made the same game eight times over, it's not surprising that people are complaining about change. Any change to the extremely stale formula would've caused complaints.

If you're looking for a more "adult" Pokemon-like then you're going to have to wait for Monster Crown or TemTem. Pokemon, Digimon, and Yo-Kai watch have all failed to fill that niche well.

MegaGenesis

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You know whats funny? Many people been complaining Game Freak was getting lazy and rehashing the same game over and over, yet when GF tried something new with Black/White and Sun/Moon, everybody jumped on the hate bandwagon. I know these games are flawlled, but we can just point out what should be improved in the next installment. Black 2/White 2 were the most complete and fun Pokémon games, yet many players ignored it in 2012.

This casualization of Pokémon mechanics and nostalgia pandering is happening ever since Pokémon X/Y, it the reason OR/AS turned out to be a mediocre remake. And you know whats sad? Gen 6 games were praised. And now people and youtubers are praising Let's Go. Funny how these games are just Pokémon Yellow, but with less gameplay mechanics and with more hand-holding. Its a "childs first pokémon game", but we know there's more adults interested in these games. Back in the Game Boy era we all played and finished Gen 1 games without hand-holding, and other Pokémon games later. Kids are smarter than this. Game devs shoudn't use kids as a excuse for laziness.

I want to know what japanese Pokémon fan think abou Let's Go. I wnat to know if kids are really interested in this. I want to know if GO players know about this game and want it (GO-only players, those people that jumped in the GO craze and didn't cared much abou Pokémon before).

Reactions: CathyRina

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Given that GameFreak basically made the same game eight times over, it's not surprising that people are complaining about change. Any change to the extremely stale formula would've caused complaints.
Except change is not the problem. Stripping out game mechanics out of a game that was already lacking them is.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I know there are a casual base and all that, and people defending the fact that this game is gettin more and more "easy to pick up and play" for those audiences but, damn. It`s not about being in a new adventure and see what happens, it`s about that it IS a Pokèmon game and they are butchering it to the core. It is like if they make a new Resident Evil game, and they put no horror nor monsters at all in it and people say "okay, no problem let`s play it and see how it turns out". C`mon man, I played Pokèmon back in 1996, been a good fan (not all the games but some are really good) since then, but this is too much, one thing is changing some details and evolution of the franchises, but this is practically slaughter. I have a small window of hope that when it comes out it isn`t as terrible as it sounds, but all in all this is a slap in the face of all Pokèmon fans until now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: you can be the host