Pokemon Dream radar and DS - Exploit?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dionysus, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Dionysus
    OP

Dionysus GBAtemp Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    I was thinking a while ago there could be a POSSIBLE exploit between Pokemon Black and White 2 concerning the Pokemon Dream Radar!

1) Pokemon Dream radar is a 3DS software title which fully uses 3DS features (gyro, camera, spotpass...)

2) Pokemon Black and White 2 are both DS games

3) Usually when playing DS games the 3DS features are locked out

4) However using pokemon dream radar you are able to transfer pokemon caught and send them over to pokemon Black and White 2.

What if and im being highly optimistic here, we could somehow create a rom which can get into the 3DS features and do something?, while changing the ROM header to Pokemon Black 2.

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    Pokemon Black and White 2
    are most likely dsi/3ds enhanced games

3. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Wouldn't we have to change the flash cart header to Pokemon Black/White 2?

4. KuRensan

KuRensan aka Pearbook

Apr 27, 2009
    Netherlands
    Somewhere in the sky
    maybe the dream radar makes the pokemon you caught sleep and send it through internet, like the game sync for the dream world

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Black/White 2 are what I'd like to refer to as (and probably others, I don't care) 3DS enhanced games, meaning when in a 3DS they can access certain 3DS features. When running a flashcard, all ROMs DSi/3DS enhanced will run in DS Mode ONLY. We still don't have access to DSi mode (well...we did kind of, but the support of the card is gone).

Also, you can't just "Change the header" of a flashcard to whatever game you want, there are only specific games with which changes like these work.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Still it is interesting. If there was a ds game that could exploit the 3DS this would be it....

7. plasmareshiram

plasmareshiram Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    i have a pokemon black and white 2 rom and i just used pokegen to get the therian genies so the dream radar slightly useless for roms

8. dehry

dehry GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    It's not going to happen. Pokemon dream radar will edit the game save and that's all. BW2 is a DSi enhanced game, not a 3DS enhanced game. When running a DS(i) game (or flashcarts for that matter,) it is running in a sandbox mode which won't let you touch 3DS functions. It will only read official BW2 carts and flash cards will be ignored.

9. rondoh70

rondoh70 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2011
    United States
    new york
    the question i have is... will the game load into 3ds or ds mode?

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    On a flashcard, DS mode only.

1 person likes this.
  11. rondoh70

rondoh70 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2011
    United States
    new york
    I was talking about the original game.

12. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    This is a question i've always wondered. Why can't we flash ,or something, a rom to the frimware so the game acts like a real card like the 3 in 1. and there is a button or something on the card that releases the rom and we can go back to the ds-mode menu?

13. YamiHoshi.nl

YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

May 23, 2011
    Tokyo
    May I correct the TS?
    Because Dream Radar doesn't use 3D at all.
    Actually, it disables 3D, as soon as it's booted up.

14. Kuroko Shirai

Kuroko Shirai GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    I'm sorry, I am getting confused here... Dream Radar is a 3DS-ware, right? Unless you mean the transferring, won't that essentially use either the wireless feature or the IR system? :P

15. ShineStar

ShineStar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2008
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure you boot up the dream radar app and it just edits the pokemon into the cartridge inserted in the cartridge slot.
    this way, the 3DSware has access to all the 3DS features, but the game cart when booted up is at most DSi Enhanced and has no 3DS features.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kuroko Shirai

Kuroko Shirai GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    I suppose that could be one but I checked Serebii's site and you can get some Pokemon from 4th gen's mascot if you insert the specific cart on the 3DS... but the transferring, I feel you need another console for it...

17. ItsMetaKnight

ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2008
    Pokémon Dream Radar does NOTHING with the Black 2/White 2 games except modifying its savegame. There is no access to the game itself.

1 person likes this.
  18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Okay, how to clear this up...

B/W2 are DSi-Enhanced games, they work within the Sandbox and they can access DSi-Specific functions (provided you use a genuine cartridge), they can't access 3DS hardware. The other way around though, Dream Radar is a 3DS application (as far as I know) and it can access all of the 3DS's functions, including read/write functions of the slot. All it really does is check whether there's a B/W2 cartridge inserted and writes into the save file of the cart. It works one-way only and it won't work with a flashcart.

2 people like this.
  19. YamiHoshi.nl

YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

May 23, 2011
    Tokyo
    @[member='Kuroko Shirai'], my point is, that Dream Radar doesn't use all 3DS features.
    In this case, it doesn't use 3D, and probably StreetPass and/or SpotPass as well, but that's something I couldn't test yet.

20. Dubstep16

Dubstep16 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 24, 2012
    How do i ge this?? Or is not possible atm??