Pokemon Diamond and Pearl mechanics

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by AeroScap, Apr 21, 2007.

Apr 21, 2007
  1. AeroScap
    OP

Member AeroScap GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Been looking for a topic for those who want to work the mechanics of pokemon to their advantage.
    and here it is!!

Been looking for an explaination of EVs which isnt the gamefaqs version, can anyone enlighten me?

Also does hatching and raising from lvl 1 actually have any distinct advantage? or is it ok to raise one from say lvl 12 up?

2. Wolfsclaw

Member Wolfsclaw GBAtemp Fan

Germany
  3. AeroScap
    OP

Member AeroScap GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks I am ploughing through it now!

4. slayerspud

Member slayerspud GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Ev's: Shortened version of effort values. When ever you beat a pokemon ( Trainer or wild) you will be given effort values. You can find out how much each pokemon give on serebii.net. Each 4 of these effot values will up one of your stats by 1. So when you level instead of say getting +2 attack, you will get +3. You can only use 510 Ev's at a time, and 252 on any stat. So that means it is best to start from a brreeded pokemon. because you will know his effort values will be 0. I suggest downloading and playing 'netbattle', helped me alot and on learning move sets and ev spreads.

Ivs: Each pokemon has a certain IV in each stat. These range from 31 to 0. A higher IV means that, that stat will be a lot higher. Such as a Ttar with 31 Att IVs has 304 Att ( No ev's) and with 0 has 273, making a huge differnce. Though breeding for IV's takes a age and a lot of patience.

Just my lame summary of them.

5. Fieryshadowz

Member Fieryshadowz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    all newly caught pokemon start at 0..
    Breeding pokemon only raises your chances of having better IV (Individual Values)
    Effort values goes up to 255 per stat but it is recommended to do 252 as it rounds the stats down.
    At a max of 510 EV's in total on all of your stats. so you can have 85 on all stats or 255 on 2 stats. w/e as long as it adds up to 510 or below.
    imo.. it doesnt matter what level you raise your pokemon from.. as long as it has decent IV and a EV Spread to suit your gameplay then it doesnt matter if it was a level 1 hatched

you usually breed for Egg moves btw.

6. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    oh, and get a pokerus pokemon from someone... they double your EV increasing rate [​IMG]

i think half of my critters are already infected [​IMG]

7. Fieryshadowz

Member Fieryshadowz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    and a macho brace >:] [​IMG]