Homebrew Pokedex for the DStwo?

BreckenTheDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love a pokedex plugin for the dstwo with information on pokemon and etc, and hopefully all 649? If someone could either find one of these or try to make one that would be awesome.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a huge amount of work. For each game? For only the NDS games?

Each generation / set of games needs a whole separate listing for each Pokemon. That's work nobody wants to do. And with Pokedex 3D pro coming out soon, Nintendo might go after it or something. (probably not)

It would be cool, but nothing will happen... :/

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've thought about creating a pokedex for the DSTwo, but the biggest deterent by far is collecting all the information for each pokemon and organizing it in such a way that can be easily parsed. Only a few template entries would be needed for the actual creation and testing of the pokedex, then i suppose the rest could be added by users. With this type of setup, it wouldn't be hard to add newer pokemon as the games are released, rather than waiting for an update in the program itself.

If anyone is interested in helping to get the intial stuff prepared (interface ideas/mockups, all possible information for a couiple of pokemon, sprites), I'd be more tempted to have a go at this.

Reactions: 1 person

lukeroge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It sounds like a good idea, but I don't see why anyone would make it for the DSTwo instead of making it as a normal homebrew program. Doing that would just stop a lot of users from being able to use it.

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It sounds like a good idea, but I don't see why anyone would make it for the DSTwo instead of making it as a normal homebrew program. Doing that would just stop a lot of users from being able to use it.

It doesn't need to be specifically for DSTwo, however, it is nicer in a customizable stand point from its ability to use multiple formats for images and audio.

The way I see this being made is that there could be a general pokedex data format and parser that could be compiled for both the DS and the DSTwo, or whatever other platform. Using such a library, anyone could make a pokedex app based on a universal database to access all the information.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
the rest could be added by users.
And I would probably end up trying to figure out how to add things and then end up being the one to add them all because I love doing organizing and adding to such stuff.

But only if it wasn't DS2 exclusive. I do not have a DS2 and would not be able to borrow one for a long enough time that such an application would become useful.

Or you could make a .HTML viewer and download all of Bulbapedia's pages.
Not all of them. A lot of pages on Bulbapedia are only relevant to the anime or the manga.

The way I see this being made is that there could be a general pokedex data format and parser that could be compiled for both the DS and the DSTwo, or whatever other platform.
I see it being made from taking Black 2 or White 2's ROM and extracting everything out of it, then finding where all the code for the Pokedex is and just taking that and figuring out how to compile it into its own ROM (with a few edits, of course).

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or you could make a .HTML viewer and download all of Bulbapedia's pages.

I don't think that is very optimal if one wanted to add a custom interface. But if that is all what people want, they could just use DSOrganize to read the files.

And I would probably end up trying to figure out how to add things and then end up being the one to add them all because I love doing organizing and adding to such stuff.
But only if it wasn't DS2 exclusive. I do not have a DS2 and would not be able to borrow one for a long enough time that such an application would become useful.

As I have mentioned before, it wouldn't exactly be a DS2 specific format. Once established, anyone would be free to compile it to whatever system.

I see it being made from taking Black 2 or White 2's ROM and extracting everything out of it, then finding where all the code for the Pokedex is and just taking that and figuring out how to compile it into its own ROM (with a few edits, of course).
There are a few problems with this idea:
  • it is somewhat diffult to pull off
  • it would be illegal to redistribute the resulting binary
  • its not exactly future proof, it would be very difficult to expand on and add new content without replacing old content

saviorkross

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's GeneriDex, but it's been abandoned.

Now I wouldn't exactly say that. I've worked on it on and off since I first released it, but every time I try and settle down to do some serious work on it, other things come up. It's certainly not abandoned, but I wouldn't hold your breath for another release anytime soon. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: morning fellas, it's my birthday