Pokémon Hack Screening Thread

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Densetsu, Jul 4, 2012.

Jul 4, 2012

Pokémon Hack Screening Thread by Densetsu at 9:36 PM (211,660 Views / 36 Likes) 547 replies

1. Densetsu
    OP

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, NO ONE IS ALLOWED
    TO CREATE ANY NEW POKÉMON PROJECT THREADS
    WITHOUT STAFF PERMISSION!
    [​IMG]

These Pokémon hacking projects flooding the forum are getting ridiculous. Enough is enough. Seriously.

Why Do We Need Permission?

This thead was created to stop the inundation of Pokémon "hacks" that pop up every day.

Because the Pokémon games are so easy to hack, we get incompetent n00bs posting their "hacks" and cluttering the thread with poorly-formatted, poorly-worded project posts and cancelled hacks. Many of these "projects" are little more than requests for others to do all the work for the self-proclaimed "project leader" or "hack creator." And even when a patch is released, usually it's no more than a color swap of sprites or some other insignificant "hack" that adds absolutely nothing to the replay value of the original game.

The primary purpose of this thread is to screen potential Pokémon hacks for quality, with the secondary purpose of keeping the forums clear of clutter and meaningless "hacking" threads. If your project is good enough, it will be allowed to have its own project thread. Until your hack has been proven to be something that the community would want to see, you will NOT receive permission to start your own project thread. Read the rules below on how Pokémon hacking projects will be handled from now on.

Some members who are active in this community and are familiar with the Pokémon games have graciously volunteered to screen all new hacks made from this point on and assist with the management of this thread. They will collaborate with each other in a PM thread to determine whether you should have permission to break off from this thread and create your own topic.

Some of the older hacking threads may be locked and find their way into this thread as well, if the project starter hasn't logged on in over half a year, if they have yet to release a patch, or if the patch just isn't substantial enough. There may be other reasons for locking older projects, at the discretion of the collaborators who will be screening the hacks.
    The RULES: How to Receive Permission to Start Your Own Pokémon hacking Thread (or, How Not to be a Pokétard)

• Wait for a moderator to PM you with permission. DO NOT START YOUR OWN TOPIC until you receive a PM. NO PM, NO PERMISSION!
    • To receive permission, your post in this project thread MUST CONTAIN THE FOLLOWING:
      1. a title logo
      2. a complete list detailing exactly what changes you made to the game
      3. screenshots of the hack clearly illustrating the differences and new features added to the game (preferably with side-by-side "before hacking" and "after hacking" images)
      4. proper credits
      5. a link to the patch
    • If you manage to produce a patch, report your post in this topic and REQUEST PERMISSION to start your own thread.
    • If your post is missing any of the items above (especially #2-5), you WILL NOT be allowed to post your own topic.
    • If you don't receive permission, DO NOT report your post again. Wait at least a week, then ASK AGAIN ONLY AFTER YOU'VE MADE SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS.
    • Do not use this thread to ask for spriters, scripters, translators, hackers, or any other kind of help. If you're looking for help with your project, state it in your project post and/or in your signature. And make your project post look awesome and organized. You can draw in more people willing to help you if you look like you actually know what you're doing and have an interesting-looking hack, than if you just post "halp meeh plz."
    • All forum members are advised to report any new Pokémon hack threads you find and request to have it merged with this thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

Thelostrune, Margen67, Xexyz and 33 others like this.

2. Black-Ice

Member Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]Directory of Hacks in This Thread

Click the hack title for a direct link.

[​IMG] = Patch Available [​IMG]= Gained its own thread (click the ball for link)

Games

4. Pokemon Soul Silver 2 by yoshi_90[​IMG]
    8. Pokemon Dark Red and Light Blue by letsgarius​
    Tools

1. Changing one game into another by raystriker
    2. Changing Pokemon Sprites by JooNascimentoRue

Cleared Hackers:
    Those who have proven that they can continuously make hacks of high quality and don't have to go through screening.
    Drayano

Margen67, Densetsu and Skixy like this.
  3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Thank fucking God.

4. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    We should just open a separate forum for it :lol:

Easier that way i think.

1 person likes this.
  5. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    i should of know this was going happen sooner or later this is a way to keep things safe and sound. way to knock thing on for the 4th of july. but yeah the only hacks i'm going play atm are dray's and some platinum hack not made by dray. but still keep up the good work.

also are the other threads going stay opened?

6. Densetsu
    OP

United States
    I can't take credit for this. The staff have been discussing the best way to do this for weeks. My solution was a lot harsher. p1ng suggested the "BIG Pokemon Hack Thread" idea.

We figured that no other game on this forum gets its own subforum, so there's no need to create a forum dedicated specifically to Pokemon. It should have no special treatment over other, far better games.

The larger projects will stay open as their own threads, especially if they've already made a patch. I'll probably start merging the smaller threads into this topic, but I need to go over them to see if they warrant their own thread.

1 person likes this.
  7. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    No this sucks, needs a sub fourm for this, not a huge cluttered thread.

8. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    i had a thought. should the mods or members look through the entire hacking forum to look for every pokemon hack made for ds and put them into the topic? just a thought IMO.

9. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    What was that harsher idea if you don't mind me asking.

10. Densetsu
    OP

United States
    I was going to suggest that all Pokemon hack projects require a poll at the top saying "Do you like this hack? Vote 'YES' or 'NO' " And then we would lock any topics that got a majority of "NO" votes. But that system would be prone to trolling by other members who would down-vote projects just to be dicks.

Another idea included using the "Like" system and after a post received a certain number of "Likes," we would allow the project starter to create his own thread. But that could also be abused by people creating dupe accounts just to up-vote it. There are also Poketards who would "Like" a post just because OMG IZ POKEMON HAX!!! no matter how little potential the project had.

There were other ideas, including creating a separate subforum, but I won't get into the details of all the other ideas here.

In the end I think the consensus was just to leave the decision to the all-knowing and all-powerful moderators B-)

11. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    It will only seem cluttered from the inside.

8 people like this.
  12. Dubstep16

Member Dubstep16 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Pokemon Doom Gold

Iam looking for a spriter and a scripter to help me out.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hello and welcome to Pokemon Doom Gold! This is my hack of Heart gold which will change a lot in the games!

Features:
    [​IMG]- Begin your adventure as simon, an all new hero never seen in a pokemon game before!
    [​IMG]- Travel through Johto and Kanto with a bunch of new scripts and events! Will reveal more about them soon!
    [​IMG]- A hand picked pokedex containing 200 pokemon!
    [​IMG]- New items will be introduced
    [​IMG]- Pokemon have new custom movesets!
    [​IMG]-And much more!

Story: Celebi is popping up all over the place and everyone's talking about it! Studies have shown it's not also going to different places, but it's travelling through different times! How and why could this be?

Progress:
    • A bunch of Wild pokemon have been changed
    • Hero's overworld completed!
    If anyone is any good or knows how to edit -

- Scripts/Events
    - Mugshots
    - Battle sprites

Then please let me know below or pm me! Do the same if you'd like to help with anything else to speed the project up
    Screenshots! (Much more to come soon, i'm just showing of the male hero!)
    [​IMG]

This is how a battle would look like and new pokemons ;D

[​IMG]

First patch coming soon!

Tools used:
    Btx editor And Ppre

Thanks to kazowar for making the useful tools!

Margen67 likes this.
  13. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Oh hackers can have their own thread once approved. I thought all hacks were to be posted here and would be a clutter discussing their work with other hacks also going on.

Sounds good.

14. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Yeah the entire point behind my idea is to contain the crap pokemon hack threads made by people who don't have the skill or intent to actually finish their hacks in one place. Those sort of hack threads sadly being the majority. If someone is actually undertaking a creditable project they will have their own thread once they have shown it deserves it. If anything this should hopefully deflect attention away from the crap and focus it on good hacking projects.

1 person likes this.
  15. Densetsu
    OP

United States
    If someone wants to take the initiative and create an index of all Pokemon hacks and link to all of them, I'll give them control of Post #2 of this topic. Sorry @Nujui if your post gets hijacked :unsure:

If you accept this responsibility and later on for some reason you can't continue to update the index, the post will be transferred to anyone else who wants to take over. This way there will always be someone willing to update the index.

16. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    How about closing threads whose projects haven't been updated after X time? At a certain point it becomes pretty obvious the OP isn't up to the task of finishing the hack, and they just linger as people prop it up with useless posts. The OP could at a later date provide evidence that they indeed are still active, thus reopening the thread.

Sidenote: the topic name "BIG Pokemon Hack Thread" implies that this is actually a directory of Pokemon hacks. Perhaps you should pick a more fitting one, "RULES for posting Pokeman hacks", or along those lines.

17. Densetsu
    OP

United States
    That has been the general rule of thumb up to this point, but no specified amount of time has ever been established.

The idea behind this thread is to have would-be Pokemon hackers come up with a polished patch (or at least some form of a viable project) in this thread before they even post their own topic, so we don't have to go locking threads that have been stagnant without progress for so long.

*EDIT 1*
    By the time a Pokemon hack is allowed to have its own topic, it will already have a playable patch. So even if the OP decides not to update the patch anymore, it will be able to stand on its own as a "completed" project.

Done.

*EDIT 2*
    As I said in my post before this one, I would like to make the second post of this thread into a directory. I'm just waiting for any takers.

18. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    No, no it doesn't. Most of those hacks only contain custom Pokemon or some really minor changes - it's the exact same game over and over and over again. It's getting old and unless a hack really reaches a stage where it's something fresh and new, not another re-hash, it doesn't deserve yet another thread.

5 people like this.
  19. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    The question is, what constitutes a "viable" project? Or a "playable patch"? If someone announces their grand ambition of creating the greatest Pokemon hack known to man, and provides a patch in which a single building has some rearranged tiles, is that acceptable? Or what if the total sum is that they changed the appearance rate in a few areas? Who is going to vet these projects? I assume you aren't, seeing as you've made it clear you're not a fan of the series, and thus probably wouldn't actually be able to discern changes from the source material.

20. Black-Ice

Member Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

United Kingdom
    Could be down to the replies of those who play each patch maybe?
    But then as Den said, people could abuse a vote system
    Or someone could just be elected to play every patch and assess it. Could become tedious though. :unsure:

Nxenz likes this.