[POC] Rhythm Tengoku The Best Plus Hacking

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ultramario1998, Dec 23, 2015.

1. ultramario1998
    OP

ultramario1998 no woof tipsic

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    NOTE: MOST OF THE INFO IN THIS POST IS OUTDATED. GO HERE FOR ACTUAL FUNCTIONAL TOOLS.

Earlier today, as evidenced in this post, I was able to extract, edit, recompress, and run some of the files within the romfs of Rhythm Tengoku The Best Plus, the latest, and currently Japanese-only entry in the series known to western audiences as Rhythm Heaven. The inability to open the files at all was previously a pretty huge obstacle for anyone that wanted to, say, look at the game's text (or change it)

How were you able to accomplish such an impressive feat?

Most of files within the rom (everything except the audio, which was in .aac oddly enough) had the extension of .zlib. .Zlib appears to be a library for losslessly compressing files, and appears to be a commonly used developer utility (OS X has it included). The only problem is, there aren't exactly any user friendly (ie 'non-arcane') ways to mess with these files. Being the plebian that I am, I used my Google-fu to find utilities that allowed extraction of these files. Here's what I did to mess around with them!

Materials:
    an extracted Rhythm Tengoku TB+ romfs
    the utilities Offzip and Packzip from here

extract the utilities. cd to Offzip's location in command prompt. Enter the following code...

offzip -a \path\to\zlib\file.zlib \path\to\destination\

This will extract the zlib to the specified destination.

I've found three types of file within these zlibs

.cgf - texture file. openable and editable in ohana3ds if you drag it onto the window
    .sar - these are .sarc files that have been renamed, they appear to be a collection of .bin files. You can mess with them in EFE if you change the extension to .sarc. Thanks to user ElyosOfTheAbyss for figuring this out
    .spb - unknown

When you're done with whatever, you'll need to have the initial .zlib that you extracted, the file you edited, and packzip in the same directory. cd over to there and run the following

packzip -o 0x00000004 file.whatever initialzlib.zlib

The reason that you need to specify a hex adress is because packzip is not like other unzipping/extracting programs - it literally has to copy the extracted file's data into the .zlib at the specified address.

When that's done, copy your edited .zlib back into the romfs directory. You can now safely compile and run your romfs in HANS.

That's cool, but what does it do for me?

Once we can figure out where the text is stored, we'll have the ability to begin work on a fan translation. (I don't actually know a thing about Japanese, I'm just lucky enough to have figured this out.)

So what needs to be done?

-figure out what the heck .spb files are
    -find out what exactly is inside of the .sarcs' .bin files
    -obtain better way to extract and recompress .zlib files
    -find out where the text lives

EDIT: oh yeah, here's what I did. Stupid little texture hack.

Last edited by ultramario1998, Oct 5, 2016

2. SANNIC789

SANNIC789 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
    neat nice job may i sode get the game maybe even tho its in japan only

3. chaoszerobillion

chaoszerobillion Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2013
    United States
    Awesome! I can't even play the game but I hope this goes far.

4. AT-LOWDeSu

AT-LOWDeSu Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    So I suppose we would just work on translating it? Maybe we could amount to porting games from the old ones, or designing different remix's.

5. ultramario1998
    OP

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    That's the plan, yes.
    That'd be pretty cool. It would require a significant amount of recoding/re-asseting the games, but it could very well be done
    unless we get a composer, I don't think that's happening. Still, the game only has 7 remixes, bringing some from the older games would be pretty sweet

6. AT-LOWDeSu

AT-LOWDeSu Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Yeah it does seem quite troublesome to code. But it's a worthy goal!

7. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    If you need help with editing graphics, I could help, I guess.
    I can't translate even a rune of what's written, but if you want a Woolseyism translation, I could make up the dialogues...

If you mean you can't play for the language, you can with no problem. I finished it without understanding a single word of what was written. ^_^

8. chaoszerobillion

chaoszerobillion Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2013
    United States
    Nah I had no hax to play it with. Now I do though.

9. Intronaut

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    You're wrong. The game has 10 remixes

10. Feroz El Mejor

Feroz El Mejor GBAtemp Fan

Jan 26, 2014
    Spain
    Villa Raíz (Hoenn)
    I have the game and I beat it, but I can't help with the translation, I have another question. Is possible to make multiplayer working with European 3DS? I play on a European 3DS, I know that you can use one cartridge to play some people, I want to use it, but my other 3DS (and my friend's ones are European too).

About StreetPass works fine, I found someone with the game here in Spain hahaha.

11. ultramario1998
    OP

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    If both 3DSes have *hax, you can boot into a vanilla dumped romfs using HANS on one 3ds and then swap the cartridge around to your other 3DS, boot it, and do local multiplayer. Download play doesn't have cross-region support.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

you are correct, I am a dumb.

12. Feroz El Mejor

Feroz El Mejor GBAtemp Fan

Jan 26, 2014
    Spain
    Villa Raíz (Hoenn)
    Wait, I can swap the cartridge of my 3DS when is working? That's strange.

13. ultramario1998
    OP

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    Yes, but ONLY if you're running it off of the romfs. HANS only uses the cart for authentication, it proceeds to run the game itself from the file. This is why it doesn't require the cart.

14. Thelostrune

Thelostrune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    Have you looked at the .sar files as sound archives? They might be, I think you can see if they contain other files with a hex editor.

15. ultramario1998
    OP

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    Done some research --

.SAR files appear to be archives commonly used in big scary corporate projects n' stuff. The program that is needed to unpack these archives, SAPCAR, appears to belong to the company SAP. Don't know what exactly they do (looks like some cloud computing/consulting stuff), but I doubt I'll be getting my hands on the SAPCAR executable anytime soon.

EDIT- guys, in order to register for the network, I need a company name. what should I call my fake company

All the sound files in the game are in the formats .bcgrp, .bcsar, .bstcm, and oddly enough, .aac. Those aren't sound archives.

might be normal non-sound archives, though.

just looked at the .sar in hxd again. I think this is another archive, it appears to be referencing lots of stuff that I can't find
    hex.png

Last edited by ultramario1998, Jan 2, 2016
    Thelostrune likes this.
  16. Thelostrune

Thelostrune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    Seems to contain image files, then. It was some kind of archive, at least.

17. ultramario1998
    OP

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    Okay, question...

Where can I find a hex editor that's compatible with Japanese? I get the feeling I'm going to need one soon

18. ElyosOfTheAbyss

ElyosOfTheAbyss GBAtemp Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    I'm interested in hacking this aswell if there is anything else left

19. ElyosOfTheAbyss

Aug 20, 2015
    Ok, I tried extracting a .sar file with SAPCAR but that didn't work at all

I know how to open .sar files. If you want to know I can tell you if you want.

Last edited by ElyosOfTheAbyss, Jan 17, 2016
  20. ElyosOfTheAbyss

Aug 20, 2015
    Looks like the game doesnt like it when you change text