[POC] - Region Change SysNand - A9LH only

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by leerz, Mar 2, 2016.

1. leerz
    OP

leerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    So basically this is a POC, there are several guides in the forum that lets you do this on EMUNAND

With this, you CAN:

Have a 3DS of the REGION of your LIKING on SYSNAND

this is especially useful if you have a jap/eur/ imported 3DS

The POC steps are as Follows:

1. Get your A9LH setup working (sysnand and emunand)
    2. Region Change your Emunand (install out of region titles, patching/inject secureinfo *either via decrypt9/rxtools or on PC //need fat16 xorpad it to work)
    3. Swapping out Sysnand with Emunand
    4. Profit

this is technically for U/J/E devices only, since 2.1 files on k/t/c are not available,
    however it is mentioned in the OTP guide that we can "temporarily" change region just to make otp dumping work, but I've no details regarding this. (can't do a sysnand DG with out of region titles and patch the secure info, the sigs will not match and it will brick *this in writing is what will happen, but I've yet to test that for my self)

anyway, let me know if anyone has tried this yet.
    ------------
    this guide will actually be useless if anyone has managed to get any CFW to boot 2.1 emunand, everyone's lives will definitely be easier :P
    -------------

----------you can inject a secureinfo of the region of your liking given that you have their system cias installed--- otherwise you will brick!

Last edited by leerz, Jun 30, 2016
    Minnow and Februarysn0w like this.

2. seijinshu

seijinshu ...

Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Well... 2.1 emunand is pointless... Even with 2.1 emunand, you are still locked out of otp. The 3.0 firm is still there locking you out.

3. leerz
    OP

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    lower firm then maybe? :)

4. Mistie

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    I wouldn't say a 2.1 emuNAND would be useless. I could be used as an extra step for safety to see if the unbricked NAND actually boots. But other than that it has not purpose.
    There is NO WAY to get the OTP on a system running higher than 3.x sysNAND. 3.x properly clears the OTP and we boot emuNAND after the OTP has been long cleared. So even if you had an emuNAND of 1.0 you would not get the OTP from it if you are on 9.2 sysNAND.

You seem to think that the emuNAND will generate the OTP like sysNAND does but the emuNAND does not as we have already passed those stages of booting.

Last edited by Mistie, Mar 5, 2016
  5. seijinshu

seijinshu ...

Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Well... The 2.1 emunand doesn't mean that it won't have issues on sysnand. You can have a bad nand flash or the cfw is preventing issues.

6. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Yeah, that should technically work.

I don't know if I want to give it a shot to confirm if it works. I have a Japanese NAND backup (that works), my system's American.

7. Mistie

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    I don't think the CFW would prevent any issues. Plus most bricks aren't from a bad NAND flash.

8. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    A9LH is not needed for this, region changing sysnand has always been an option either by writing a region changed emunand to sysnand or by just following the region change steps on sysnand instead of emunand.
    it's also pointless since you wont be able to access the eshop to install game updates.

9. ootnes2

ootnes2 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Someone already did a downgrade using a region changed emunand to get OTP and it worked.

Edit: Specifically @nippyn did so with a J console, emunand region changed to E, see
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loaderhax-couple-of-questions.416699/page-2

Last edited by ootnes2, Mar 5, 2016
  10. seijinshu

seijinshu ...

Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    No cfw can run 2.1 emunand. And the otp would be locked out by the 3.0+FIRM when booting the 3DS, even with menuhax.

11. ootnes2

ootnes2 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    To clarify what I meant, @nippyn downgraded the region changed emunand to 2.1, ran the unbricking magic and flashed to sysnand in order to get OTP.

12. leerz
    OP

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    ok, i've always thought about that, I read somewhere that one can't just simply flash a different region emunand on sysnand because the sig patches on the changed secureinfo will not match. guess I will just have to try it out myself :)

if that's the case then this POC is basically useless, I've been lied to!

13. ootnes2

ootnes2 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    I would still not try without a hardmod

14. leerz
    OP

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    I have a hardmod, I do hardmods locally here in PH, every so often I run across T/CH/K units which are always left behind in the scene. (for example, there's menuhax for k, but there's no 9.2K available), it's always a pain to do those regions since the hax are limited to the mainstays u/j/eur. but with otp it should not be a problem

Last edited by leerz, Mar 5, 2016
  15. gameking66

gameking66 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2010
    United States
    Did this earlier this week on my n3DS. Nothing special... install correct firmware files, install SecureInfo_A (I didn't have menuhax so I had to dump and inject it on my PC, then restore), and most importantly DO A FORMAT AFTER REGION SWITCHING, otherwise the full changes won't take effect!

leerz likes this.
  16. leerz
    OP

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    but you need xorpads to do it on pc!

gameking66 likes this.
  17. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Does this actually work?

18. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Yes.

You'll lose access to the eShop though, unless you do some trickery to get it to work.

19. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    you can region change sysnand, it's the exact same process for sysnand and emunand.
    if you have hax then you can edit the secureinfo file to be the region you want. if no hax, then you need to use a real signed one.
    it's that simple :)
    this isn't new

Real.96 and leerz like this.
  20. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Do you mean injecting the japanese eshop app on the region changed sysnand for example?

EDIT: Nevermind, still useless because you can download usa/eur updates...

Last edited by Billy Acuña, Mar 11, 2016