PS1/2 Please help !!

allanj87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive not purchased anything yet and after fucking up with my 3ds flashcart choice i thought id ask the tempers for my best options first

I want to download a few ps2 games burn them to disc and then play them on the console ive read a little into mcboot and just ended up mega confused

I dont mind buying 007 agent under fire or a memory card but what i dont want to do is have to buy a network adapter/hd

Whats my options?
What do i all need to buy?
Is it even possible to do what im asking?
If not whats my other options aka modchip

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
With a phat PS2 you can use a network adapter + IDE HDD to load your games.
With a slim your only option is either disc loading or USB. USB has bad game compatibility so I would not recommend it.

It's pretty simple to use FreeMCBoot once installed. The installation process is quite simple too (this requires you already have a way to run homebrew or you can get someone else to install it for you)
You only have to remember to patch ISOs if you are burning them to disc.

Edit:
In response to your message on IRC
<allanj87> so just go buy a slim go buy a memcard with mcboot pop in a burned disc and im all set ?
Pretty much, as long as you remember to patch the ISO before burning with ESR ISO patcher GUI.
It might be cheaper for you to buy a unmodded memory card and use the Free MCBoot Install Service - they do the install free of charge so you only have to pay postage, and there are volunteers all around the world.

Reactions: allanj87

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI network adapters are dirt cheap.

I just got a used one at gamestop for under $2.

If you don't have a spare hard drive lying around you can prolly find one online for $20-30

I did the FreeMcBoot install myself using Metal Gear Solid 3. Was not too difficult but if you can get that Service to work and don't mind waiting that would probably be easier. Playstation 2 is notorious for Disc Read Errors and unless your PS2 is working in tip top shape you may have some trouble with burned games (even with a brand new laser I occasionally have issues but they may be due to a bad rip/bad burn).

The only thing that stinks about HDD is ripping games from disc is pretty slow and taking the hard drive out to put games on it with a computer is a bit inconvenient.

I thought slim PS2 can still use SMB with OPL....they have built in network port.

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OPL is the way to go.
I got a 1.5TB in my PS2 and the only limit is the number of games that can be displayed, 256 max, anything after that will not show up.

Reactions: SmokeyTheDog

allanj87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1294493_411547108967949_1427876634_o.jpg

Gwaaahaaa success using auf exploit :)

Attachments

• IMG_20130923_142808.jpg
    IMG_20130923_142808.jpg