Please help my Wii's drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by zant, Dec 27, 2010.

Dec 27, 2010

Please help my Wii's drive by zant at 11:06 PM (770 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. zant
    OP

Member zant GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So my neighbor's wii was not reading discs. I thought it was the laser, so I went out and bought a laser for it. I installed it, and its still not reading discs. Now at some point, they had bootmii installed as well as homebrew channel. I don't know if they messed it permenantly, but its still not reading discs, even though its on virgin 4.3u. Why is it acting up like this, and what can I do to fix this?

2. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States
    You can't have boot mii and homebrew on a virgin wii, virgin means it hasn't been softmodded before, and bootmii and homebrew are both softmods.

How old is the Wii? most wiis disc drives fail over time. search how to replace wii disc drive on google.

3. zant
    OP

Member zant GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well my wii and the neighbor's wii are both launch. I don't know why their drive would fail. I would think the laser would be the fix. Is there any solution to it that would not cost me any more money?

4. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States
    If the drive suddenly failed, it's probably a hardware error. If it failed after something was installed/deleted/whatever, it may be a software failure.

Hardware = money.

sorry :/

5. zant
    OP

Member zant GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well they had Bootmii and priiloader on 4.2u, then upgraded to 4.3u stock and it wiped everything. I'm afraid some of the IOSs that control the drive got corrupted. Is there anyway to reflash a stock firmware?

6. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    My launch Wii has a hard time reading discs, alot of times it will give me the Disc Read Error but if I eject the disc and reinsert it it will work. My sister also bought a Wii at launch and her dvd drive wont read games at all. Your drive has probably just worn out, if you had Wii Connect 24 it probably overheated your wii also increasing wear and tear. Just get a USB drive.

7. rigsbynation

Newcomer rigsbynation Member

United Kingdom
    Definately the drive, softmods wouldn't cause this.
    But FYI, there is more to a broken drive than a definite laser replacement.

For example if the laser is shining fine but not actually moving then its the motor for the laser arm.
    If the laser is shining but the disc isn't spinning its the spindle motor.

Other than that, drive board and if thats the case may aswell just buy a used drive off ebay for about £30.

But as recommended anyway, dvd's are the old way, tell em to get with the times and get a hard drive, much more flexible set up