PlayStation VR gets permanent price drop

PRVRlede.w710.h473.png

If you've been wanting to join the VR bandwagon, you might be interested to know that PlayStation is lowering the cost of their VR headsets worldwide on March 29th (April 2nd for Australia and New Zealand). The RRP will be lowering from the original launch price of $399/€399 and will now cost $299/€299. This entry-level bundle will come with the PlayStation VR headset, along with the PlayStation Camera, and the pack-in VR game PlayStation VR Worlds. Two other bundles are following suit and dropping in price by $100, including the Doom VFR (comes with Doom VFR and a game demo disc as well, now for $299) and Skyrim VR (comes with Skyrim VR, a demo disc, and two PlayStation move controllers now for $349) bundles. PlayStation VR originally launched in October 2016, and now currently has over 300 games published on the platform.

:arrow: Source

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
still havent seen an AAA game that is worth psvr price, for small tech demos, iwerd games i will keep on passing the 300$.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i bought vr glasses to use with my iphone , amd i used it 2 days . Dont need to buy ps4 vr to realize that its not confortable to play .
same, my vr headset is collecting dust for months

Reactions: gnsmitty

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On games then was Resident Evil 7 worth seeing through one of these?

"I'll pay $50 for a VR headset" is a lot like saying "I'll pay at most $500 for a car." Y'all should know better, you get the quality you pay for.
Most peripherals of this nature I reckon will need to be super cheap and thus super subsidised. Tech wise I am replacing higher res screens in phones for not that much more and if there is no real onboard calculation I can see it dropping somewhat lower.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Give it a year maybe... I just don't see enough of a market to really make it worth making these things, there has to be a profit somewhere. It's the Sega CD or any number of console add ons all over again. (If it's not packed in with every system it's going to divide the market.)

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
missed out when nebraska furniture mart had the full package for like 250 skyrim ,camera ,2 move controllers and for $250
missed out again when walmart had gen 1 marked down GT to $150 but no stores had it my area , or they didn't market it down till it was sold out
TRU liquidation had only 5 or 10% off markdowns
guess i will wait it out some more

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah...it's probably not gonna pan out that way. People want two 4K panels in HMDs but then expect to pay well below the price of a single 4K panel TV.

spock-illogical1.jpg

Single Ebay LCD replacements for a Sony Z5 Premium (2160 x 3840 pixels) are £45 with a digitizer (said digitizer going for just under £10) already assembled. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-xper...-screen-replacement-HIGH-QUALITY/182739882664
I know it is a slightly older phone now (not that it matters as much these days) but I don't think we are at the shedding stock phase yet. Will have to look at aliexpress later.

2 of those sans digitizers at scale, only a decoder/dual decoders + token 3d positioning and everything goes over an umbilical and a with nice subsidy would get you at the conventionally acceptable peripheral/about the price of a game level.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Single Ebay LCD replacements for a Sony Z5 Premium (2160 x 3840 pixels) are £45 with a digitizer (said digitizer going for just under £10) already assembled. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-xper...-screen-replacement-HIGH-QUALITY/182739882664
I know it is a slightly older phone now (not that it matters as much these days) but I don't think we are at the shedding stock phase yet. Will have to look at aliexpress later.

2 of those sans digitizers at scale, only a decoder/dual decoders + token 3d positioning and everything goes over an umbilical and a with nice subsidy would get you at the conventionally acceptable peripheral/about the price of a game level.
Most VR panels are OLED, though Pimax is going to be using LCDs. Even so, the lowest price for their 8K model (two 4K panels) was $450 with the Kickstarter early bird special. It'll probably retail around $550 or $600. Beyond the panels you've still got lenses, audio, and housing/tracking design to worry about. There's simply a lot more technology and R&D that goes into VR HMDs than established product lines like TVs.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most VR panels are OLED, though Pimax is going to be using LCDs. Even so, the lowest price for their 8K model (two 4K panels) was $450 with the Kickstarter early bird special. It'll probably retail around $550 or $600. Beyond the panels you've still got lenses, audio, and housing/tracking design to worry about. There's simply a lot more technology and R&D that goes into VR HMDs than established product lines like TVs.

The lenses are nothing terribly special (couple of fresnels, not as though it is a camera grade set of compound lenses) and are easy enough to make out of plastic, headbands too. Indeed I had a look a some of the magnifying headbands ( http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2761976 ) which go for next to nothing as a potential for something before the earlier post.
Audio is a set of cheap headphones which is no big thing, indeed you might even get your user to provide their own.

Bill of materials wise I can still see it happening at the previously floated levels. I don't doubt the end result would be far less in the "feels good in the hand" type test than some wonderfully crafted thing like we see today but still functional.

Brigand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Still not cheap enough to get me interested. I remember when I first heard it announced I actually went out and got a PS4. For some reason I just went off it after that, and kind of glad I did. I think the money would better be spent on a Switch.

D

Deleted User

I bought the PSVR set without the camera or anything else as we already had the camera, at Xmas time of last year from GameStop. They had a deal on this set for only $199. I got it along with a few games, used it for maybe a week then boxed it back up. Sadly it now sits collecting dust.

Last edited by ,

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought the PSVR set without the camera or anything else as we already had the camera, at Xmas time of last year from GameStop. They had a deal on this set for only $199. I got it along with a few games for my son, he used it for maybe a week then boxed it back up. Sadly it now sits collecting dust.

I bought a similar dea, I got it for $200 with the camera and gran turismo sport (around $240 with tax), used it only twice or three times and never bothered again.

I got lucky and some dude on craigslist just gave me a nintendo switch in pristine condition plus Doom in exchange for it, this week.

Aparenty he didn't enjoy the graphics of Doom on the switch as much as his PS4 version, so he decided to get rid off it by trading it for a PS VR on CL... I even threw an extra non-vr game because I lowkey felt bad for him :creep: .

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch