GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.
Even though we didn't get anything new it still was a decent presentation.
The price cut, bundle, and the new color model will allow the Vita to pick up more sales in Japan at least.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
the vita is not a tablet, it's not an ipad and making a comparison to one is retarded... it's like saying that pizza is not overpriced because hamburgers cost more.
No, it's like saying that since lolly pop prices are high, candy cane prices need to be appropriately high as well because they're also made of sugar - it's thinking otherwise that's ridiculous. You're getting hardware of comparable quality at half the price, so no, the price cut, as much as it was desired by gamers (because we're cheap like that) was not something that was expected. Hardware has to sell for a price that will not cause damage to the company - they need to make a profit off it, be it in hardware or software sales.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's like saying that since lolly pop prices are high, candy cane prices need to be appropriately high as well because they're also made of sugar - it's thinking otherwise that's ridiculous. You're getting hardware of comparable quality at half the price, so no, the price cut, as much as it was desired by gamers (because we're cheap like that) was not something that was expected. Hardware has to sell for a price that will not cause damage to the company - they need to make a profit off it, be it in hardware or software sales.
believe me the price cut won't damage the company, otherwise they would not do it. If you can't see it then you are too stubborn...

and if you are going to say that they are selling the console on a loss and making profit off the software, check that again... they don't have a library to support that and the best selling game on the psp was monster hunters and it sold less than 5m, and this time they don't even have that series...

also the sugar comparison is a good one, if the ipad and the vita had the same "ingredients" and shared the same purpose... oops

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
believe me the price cut won't damage the company, otherwise they would not do it. If you can't see it then you are too stubborn...
I'm not saying that it will damage the company - I'm saying that it was unexpected. If their engineers have the process perfected and they could lower production costs to allow for one, great - we're all happy.

and if you are going to say that they are selling the console on a loss and making profit off the software, check that again... they don't have a library to support that and the best selling game on the psp was monster hunters and it sold less than 5m, and this time they don't even have that series...
I said nothing of the sort. What I said was that the only instance when selling hardware at a loss makes sense is when the licensing fees for games or income from services make up for the difference.

also the sugar comparison is a good one, if the ipad and the vita had the same "ingredients" and shared the same purpose... oops
They actually do have similar ingredients. Vita's GPU is a beefed-up version of the one that's in the iPad 3 and its CPU is pretty common among current-generation "smart" devices - the hardware is very much like a tablet's or a smartphone's. As for the purpose, I'm going to say "entertainment". Blew your mind, eh?

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They actually do have similar ingredients. Vita's GPU is a beefed-up version of the one that's in the iPad 3 and its CPU is pretty common among current-generation "smart" devices - the hardware is very much like a tablet's or a smartphone's. As for the purpose, I'm going to say "entertainment". Blew your mind, eh?
xDDDDDDDDD
you actually believe the vita and the ipad share the same purpose? or you just love to argue?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
xDDDDDDDDD
you actually believe the vita and the ipad share the same purpose? or you just love to argue?
They don't share the exact same "purposes", they share one characteristic "purpose" (or functionality) out of many others. What you're thinking of is focus, where the PSVita is gaming-oriented wheras the iPad is focused on portable-computing. The focus is different however the hardware is very much the same. Going by your logic, if I stick a sticker on a BMW sports car saying that it's now a delivery car, I should sell it for less because it's been "repurposed".

Neither "purposes", as you call them, nor the main focus are core factors when deciding on the price point - they're merely suggestions or guidelines. The core factors are the manufacturing and distribution costs because selling your BMW delivery car with the guts of a sports car for the price of a cheap Fiat is stupid and you generally don't do that.

To conclude, it's very much like buying 10 apples in a plastic bag or 10 apples in a paper bag - at the end of the day, you're paying for the contents of the bag and the price of the container is marginal. Cue joke about paper bags being superior to plastic bags since they're better for the environment or the other way around - the superiority of plastic bags because they don't rip as often. Going by your logic, most console owners should completely disregard Netflix on their devices and buy a device specifically for Netflix because the "purpose" of consoles is to play games, not to stream video.

I just realised that EBgames are selling the Vita with Little Big Planet for $250 when without the bundle it's $350.
Cause fuck logic.
To be fair, that's the "First Edition Bundle" - it comes with Little Deviants, a 3G/WiFi PSVita, a Limited Edition case and a 4GB Memory Card. I don't think it's even available for sale anymore - it was a pre-premiere thing. Is that the one you meant?

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I just realised that EBgames are selling the Vita with Little Big Planet for $250 when without the bundle it's $350.
Cause fuck logic.
Yea seen that as well. That's EB for you. Then again, I think it's the same with Dick's and JB iirc. Even though I got mine 2nd hand and far lower than (Aussie) market price with crap games and memory card, I am starting to regret it a little. *sigh*

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cause fuck logic.

Well isn't the point of a bundle to make it a better deal? I see the logic in bundling them.

Unless my mind is blanking on something.

As for the presentation, it's Japan so quite a bit of it won't carry over or really matter. We're already getting Soul Sacrifice, FFX HD, Dragon's Crown, and probably Valhalla Knights 3 (if people even care about Valhalla Knights).

I guess the most interesting thing is the price cut which could be a sign of things to come.

Also thanks Foxi for the list on page 2, I'm going to add that to the OP.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well isn't the point of a bundle to make it a better deal? I see the logic in bundling them.

Unless my mind is blanking on something.
$250 for a PSVita with a game versus $350 for a PSVita with (what he thought was) no game was the "something". :P
Also thanks Foxi for the list on page 2, I'm going to add that to the OP.
You're welcome. There was also some talk about promoting Torne - a Japan-only DVR system which can stream to the PSVita as long as you have a PS3. That, and the PSVita's will come with a 7-day trial of PSPlus after the price cut with Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Ridge Racer and four other titles to download throughout February... but that's Japan-only info, so yeah. :P

Dr Eggman

I am THE Eggman.
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
To everyone saying the Vita almost equals an iPad 3:
Yes and no.

Yes:
The custom designed Apple A5X is about equal to the Vita SoC in terms of architecture and GPU (both use an ARM9 MPCore , with a PowerVR SGX543MP4 GPU). The clock speed is somewhat different but the SoC's are essentially the same.

NO: most importantly because of these reasons:
-The iPad 3 has 1GB Ram, Vita: 512mb
-Vita has 0.3 mp cameras front and back, iPad 3; 5MP back, 0.3mp front
-Materials are different and different manufacturing (vita is plastic overall, iPad 3 is aluminum and glass)

Most importantly - the display, the most expensive component in these electronics-
-iPad 3- 10 point multitouch at 9.7 inches, 2048x1536 resolution
Vita is 5inch touch at 960x544.

So, it's not fair to compare the two, especially price wise.

Sauces:
Processors
Vita Specs
iPad 3 specs
iPad 3 BOM
PS Vita BOM

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$250 for a PSVita with a game versus $350 for a PSVita with (what he thought was) no game was the "something". :P

Sorry I thought he was referring to the combined price of LBP and a Vita was $350 when in a bundle it's $250. Because most bundles are cheaper than the system and game separately. The AC:L bundle is $250 total while separately it's like $250+$40+$20 so $310.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
-The iPad 3 has 1GB Ram, Vita: 512mb //The PSVita has 128MB VRAM, the iPad 3 has none because it shares memory between the system and the GPU AFAIK Again, this is for the sake of gaming - the system requires memory working on a fast bus and this is where VRAM excels in comparison to standard RAM. It has to be as fast as possible, even if at a sacrifice of total capacity.
Other then that, what you said is pretty accurate. I wasn't saying that the PSVita should cost as much as an iPad - obviously the two devices are very different and the PSVita, being the smaller one is naturally cheaper. What I said was that the PSVita wasn't overpriced and cutting its price wasn't really "expected" yet - the iPad comparison was merely used for the sake of showing hardware similarities which cause its "high price". The differences you mentioned are the reasons why it doesn't cost "599 dorars!". :P
Sorry I thought he was referring to the combined price of LBP and a Vita was $350 when in a bundle it's $250. Because most bundles are cheaper than the system and game separately. The AC:L bundle is $250 total while separately it's like $250+$40+$20 so $310.
Indeed, it's usually a steal if you actually plan on buying the bundled game.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
To everyone saying the Vita almost equals an iPad 3:
Yes and no.

Yes:
The custom designed Apple A5X is about equal to the Vita SoC in terms of architecture and GPU (both use an ARM9 MPCore , with a PowerVR SGX543MP4 GPU). The clock speed is somewhat different but the SoC's are essentially the same.

-The iPad 3 has 1GB Ram, Vita: 512mb
-Vita has 0.3 mp cameras front and back, iPad 3; 5MP back, 0.3mp front
-Materials are different and different manufacturing (vita is plastic overall, iPad 3 is aluminum and glass)

Most importantly - the display, the most expensive component in these electronics-
-iPad 3- 10 point multitouch at 9.7 inches, 2048x1536 resolution
Vita is 5inch touch at 960x544.

So, it's not fair to compare the two, especially price wise.

Sauces:
Processors
Vita Specs
iPad 3 specs
iPad 3 BOM
PS Vita BOM
Not to burst your bubble, but Foxi was talking about the overall purpose of the iPad and the Vita and their share of some of the same hardware, not the look and the cameras. What Foxi was saying was the Vita and the iPad share a similar purpose: to entertain. He's not saying the Vita=iPad 3, he's not an idiot. Most of the time. Sometimes. Sort of.

Reactions: Foxi4

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
What I said was that the PSVita wasn't overpriced and cutting its price wasn't really "expected" yet
Fine, it wasn't overpriced - it just cost too much. I think you're the only one here who didn't expect the price cut, really.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So... Am I reading the news right? They dropped the price of both the 3G and WiFi versions to $215 USD? That makes no sense. Why wouldn't you buy the 3G version then, even if you never used the 3G?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Fine, it wasn't overpriced - it just cost too much. I think you're the only one here who didn't expect the price cut, really.
That's a more elegant way to put it, I think. I merely didn't expect it because there's not a whole lot of leeway for Sony to slash the price. :tpi:

So... Am I reading the news right? They dropped the price of both the 3G and WiFi versions to $215 USD? That makes no sense. Why wouldn't you buy the 3G version then, even if you never used the 3G?
No reason. But to be fair, the 3G alone was no good reason as to why the 3G/WiFi model was so much more expensive - GSM modules are pretty cheap these day. I personally own the 3G version and I don't regret the purchase - whenever I'm on the go and need to go online, 3G functionality actually does come in handy, especially since my model isn't SIM Locked.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
hahaha...Sony doing a price drop on a device so early in it's life....

if they have a tail..its between their legs.

for Japan.

not USA. Since they expect us "westerners" to pay full price still...

dig your hole more sony. keep digging.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
hahaha...Sony doing a price drop on a device so early in it's life.... if they have a tail..its between their legs.
> Sony slashes the price of the PSVita from $250 (WiFi) / $299 (3G/WiFi) to aprox. $215 for both versions after a year - tail between their legs.
> Nintendo slashes the price of the 3DS from $250 to $150 after a few months - righteous and smart move.

Sounds legit.

for Japan. not USA. Since they expect us "westerners" to pay full price still... dig your hole more sony. keep digging.
> Watches a Japanese Stream intended for Japanese viewers.
> Is upset that the U.S price was not slashed.

Sounds legit redux.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?