PlayStation Plus titles for June 2019 include Sonic Mania and Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 29, 2019.

Front-page

Subscribers to the PlayStation Plus service have a solid lineup to look forward to when it comes to next month's free games. On June 4th, PlayStation Plus users will get to download Sonic Mania and Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, two very well-received titles. As many will know, Sonic Mania is Christian Whitehead's throwback to old-school classic Sonic platforming. In GBAtemp's official review, we gave the game a 9/10, stating that "This 16-bit adventure is a true return to form for the series". Meanwhile, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is a remaster of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, both of which are first-person looter shooters that focus on online and local co-op.

Lycanroc, x65943, CeeDee and 3 others like this.
    Discussion (33 replies)
  1. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    anyone never pld borderlands and thinking how is single player it's better than most just single player shooters

urcent123 and NoNAND like this.
  2. SonowRaevius

SonowRaevius GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    Highly recommend both games for anyone that has ps4 and ps plus.

urcent123, Joel16 and CallmeBerto like this.
  3. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    Not a bad line up tbh. While I didn't like borderlands I do see the appeal in playing either online or locally with some friends. Sonic Mania is a fantastic Sonic game that even those who have never played a Sonic game would enjoy.

urcent123 likes this.
  4. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Well shit I bought both on March

5. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    If you never gave Borderlands a try, this might be your chance. They are great games. People will say the humor is awesome but overall it's really juvenile, so don't really aim for that... focus on the incredible exploration and the really fun loot.

6. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I'm not a fan of either, especially not Sonic games (except for the racing games). But I will admit that they're both very nice offerings for those who are interested. :)

7. ParzivalWolfram

ParzivalWolfram GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    holy shit, free games that aren't garbage???

8. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Think we can safely say you hav no psychic powers then:lol:

Wiki'd, THEELEMENTKH and Chary like this.
  9. Joel16

Joel16 Ils ne passeront pas

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    I mean they've had games like Bloodborne, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, God of War III Remastered, Mad Max, Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain on PS Plus, but whatever.

arjunpatel and DANTENDO like this.
  10. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Borderlands 2 is a really great game. I can't really say the same for pre-sequel, but it's definitely worth a shot if it's free. Sonic Mania was one of the best games I played in 2017, so I can't recommend it enough.

11. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Good games, but relatively old games. I'd be really surprised if anyone who wants to play them hasn't already done so. It's the one big issue I have with PS Plus and the reason I don't subscribe to it: you never know what's upcoming, so you never know what to hold off on buying.

Last edited by Xzi, May 29, 2019
  12. skawo

skawo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    I'll just stick with my suhweet Nintendo Online. Maybe we can get DK Jr. Math next month!

Ericzander likes this.
  13. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Realistically, with Steam being a free competitor, I would recommend doing most/all of your online gaming on PC.

Nintendo online, for me personally however, is so damn cheap that I wouldn't feel like I was wasting money even if it had no virtual console whatsoever. I spent $20 mostly so I could play Smash Ultimate and the Pokemon games online, and I'm getting another year free just for having Amazon Prime. I imagine their subscriber rate will only go up with more big ticket releases like Sword/Shield and Animal Crossing.

14. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    The game of this collection really does get a new meaning in spanish uh that's neat.

15. skawo

skawo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    It would probably be better if they didn't offer the VC at all. As it is, it's a complete and utter embarrassment.

16. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Hi. I haven't played either and would like to. I didn't buy Sonic Mania, as the price was too high. I'm sure it won't come with the Encore DLC, but whatever. Handsome Jack Collection...I never played the Pre-Sequel, and would like to try it out. Again, I didn't think I would like it very much, so I never purchased it.

So there you go, here is someone who wants to play both games and never have.

17. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    older older games could even be better than older games as gamers may of forgot most of what happened when pld last and want to play it again especially for getting extra trophies

18. CrisFTW

CrisFTW GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Not bad. I really recommend everyone to play borderlands 2 instead of the presequal

19. ParzivalWolfram

ParzivalWolfram GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    I meant in general, not just PS Plus. I only have a (now-completely-unused) PS3 and a PS2, so I don't keep up on PS Plus stuff. I'm mainly basing my opinion off places like Steam, XBLG, Humble Bundle, etc. They do occasionally give out good games, it's just usually absolute garbage...

Last edited by ParzivalWolfram, May 29, 2019
    Joel16 likes this.