PlayStation is finally adding native 1440p output support to the PS5

jfkdjf.png

When the PlayStation 5 launched, it lacked support for 1440p monitors. The feature was promised to be added later down the line in a future firmware update, and now that time has come. A beta firmware for the PS5 is available to testers, which finally adds the ability to output video to native 1440p resolution, including allowing for games to be rendered or downsampled to 1440p, when applicable. Bundled with this not yet available to the public update also comes the ability to create "game collections", effectively giving users folders to organize their games into.

• 1440p HDMI Video Output
    • The PS5 beta introduces support for 1440p HDMI video output, enabling players to choose an additional visual setting on compatible PC monitors and TVs.**
    • If the game you’re playing supports 1440p rendering you can experience native 1440p output on your display.
    • Or, if you’re playing a game with a higher native resolution like 4K, then you may benefit from improved anti-aliasing through supersampling down to 1440p output.
    • You can check if your HDMI device is compatible by selecting “Test 1440p Output” under “Screen and Video” options within system settings.

:arrow: Source

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Got my ps5 today and was unhappy that it looks a bit dull on my 1080p TV. Was thinking about getting new one but it's a bit expensive and I got new monitor. Will test it right now, I hope there will be an freesync update some day.

edit: damn, ps5 beta has no instant access and I can't get 120hz on my monitor.

Last edited by gohan123,
  • Haha
Reactions: k7ra

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
This should've been included day one imo. It does say "4K" in the box after all..
That's because it does support 4K. Having 1440p support has nothing to do with it supporting 4k or not. You're right that it should have been included all along though as it's a weird choice not too support it. The only thing I can think of is that they assumed only TV's mattered so didn't bother with resolutions TV's don't use.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
People seem to fail to realize that Sony is expecting that 99% of people buying this console are playing it on a TV rather than a computer monitor, and 1440p TVs are not exactly common (No TV broadcast uses this resolution, nor do home media releases, usually opting for 1080p or 2160p instead). It is good that they're supporting the resolution going forward, but it wasn't ever unclear or a secret that the console didn't support it up to this point.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People seem to fail to realize that Sony is expecting that 99% of people buying this console are playing it on a TV
More like wrongly assuming. Sony live in their own little bubble world where everyone with a Playstation only ever uses it on a Bravia TV. Hence the weird surprised reaction when people started complaining about lack of 1440p support within the first week of release.

Like most beta updates it will be another month until most people get access to this feature anyway.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so the beta is done by a code sony sends you? anyway to get that code somehow? I really don't want to wait months to play my ps5.

Gronbar

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Poland
2 years after i sold PS5, now i could look up for Slim model, lol

P.S.: They added this feature only because Sony released 1440p monitors like month ago or something.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thought these were 4k, and even 8k machines, so 1440p should be out of the box, right? Sony?
nope they arent even real 4k its still upscaled and about 8k there arent even any gpus on the market who can handle games at such resolutions most gpus are even struggling at 4k without somekind of dlss/dynamic resolution so it just marketing at the moment like china devices when they say those are 4k

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if this changed, but the PS4 Pro doesn't do 2K output. I see why it wasn't a launch day feature if it's never been done by Sony. It's also a sign they are working on VR or at least the GPUs stability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?
    @SylverReZ forgor to tag lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Maybe ask the EZ-Flash team.
    maybe tomorrow lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond. They have a GBAtemp account here, you know.
    oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post
    tbh
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Would've been a great idea, because they'll notice.
    +1
    im not a very bright individual, but we live and we learn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    Veho @ Veho: Ah, you mean furries.