Playstation classic

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wow that's some good progress in a day.
So the suspicious "usb" is actually a serial input. Lol i see 4 pins i think usb soz.
Very cool this is going well. Its fun to follow at the very least.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its usb with serial access enabled (meaning plain usb will not work). since yifan lu decided to reveal this i guess i can talk about this more comfortably (it was not me that let that cat out of the bag). the pins from left to right facing the board front are as follows:

5v, RX, TX and GND. (the same pins used in usb)

it allows serial access via an ftdi board. it will also mount the flash controller on the pc from there.
also you bunch of nuts got me all fired up now that you guys found out its android.
serial communication via putty seems possible but i hadnt tested yet. some of us have to sleep and work :P

Also if Hekel claims that the bootloader can be accessed without soldering how did he do it. i am curious.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also if Hekel claims that the bootloader can be accessed without soldering how did he do it. i am curious.
Just guesses:
1- if it's U-boot (it will likely say so over serial) press enter (in the terminal) when it says so
2- the (crappy) pictures show 2 large points being shorted

Reactions: carizard

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
LOL that's friken hilarious
my keyboards don't work but this is nuts.
If we get a unix cmd prompt does that mean we can load in a file to do stuffs.
Itd be great to see the emualtor go into a softmod that can load a retroarch front end.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL that's friken hilarious
my keyboards don't work but this is nuts.
If we get a unix cmd prompt does that mean we can load in a file to do stuffs.
Itd be great to see the emualtor go into a softmod that can load a retroarch front end.
oh dude we can do more than that. we can copy files in and out at that point. :( my keboard didnt work.
Just guesses:
1- if it's U-boot (it will likely say so over serial) press enter (in the terminal) when it says so
2- the (crappy) pictures show 2 large points being shorted
I was talking about Hekel I know what yifan lu did. i just cant replicate it consistently enough. I get it to mount but i am missing a step that i keep triggering but im not sure what it is.

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Their will be a mass run on logitek keyboards.
Its almost anticlimatic.
If we can load off storage then i give it a day till we have a payload and a userland exploit within a week
Its like they left the keys under the mat could this be intentional or did QA not test for this

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah this blows. im not spending 175 dollars on a keyboard to make this work. LOL.
if anybody finds an el cheapo one let us know.

also for anybody wondering why these devices tend to have like no protection, its because they are using entry level tablet hardware stuff. XD
however that being said this is actually decent *quad core + 1gb of ram* can score you a lot of cheese performance wise.

well.

lets see what happens.

also this is starting to look less and less like android though. it is looking more and more like a linux based thing. but time will tell.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would have expected them to keep the source "non-public" and only provide source code upon written request to people who actually purchased the hardware (AFAIK, the GPL2 does allow for this).

Kudos to Sony for making it publically available, though. I also feel that by using open source software Sony has "legitimized" emulation software as fair use contrary to their past viewpoints (regarding "Bleem!") or the views of other competitors (Nintendo).

Either way, looking forward to see what the hackers can do with the hardware and if they will be able to fix the shortcomings Sony was not willing or able to address.

TonyBiH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I looking forward to be user friendly something like hakchi of Alexey Cluster. We will wait. I still have my preorder waiting I will collect my console soon. Untill then good people will hopefully find a way. Is it even remotly resembled to to hacking like NES Mini? Is it possible to change kernel in PlayStation Classic? That would be great stuff and even better if we could use USB in future for images.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honest to goodness that is not a good expectation to have with these devices. Nintendo really left some massive openings with their 2 mini consoles. usually mods to guys like these will always involve a degree of command line knowledge and soldering skills. If haxchi did one thing was that i think it distorted expectations on devices like these.

however i do hope i am proven wrong :). fun for everyone would be nice.

Reactions: TonyBiH

thegame16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I be honest if it needs soldering to get fully unlocked I would be a bit sad and then it would have been a waste of 130$ (Price in switzerland) for me. The emulation of the Pal games on the default psx mini is to bad to justify the price tag.

We will see what the next few days will bring.

Last edited by thegame16,

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If your able to access the menu by pressing escape please post your keyboard model.
It seems that only certain keyboards work. It would be worth working out which models do the trick.
I wonder what makes these keyboards work and others not?
I wouldn't give up on the serial pin-outs as an option for nand access.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I own every single one of these "classic" re-release machines, no matter how bad they are. I'm a console collector and just can't help it!

This is the first I bought, I never owned any of the other consoles. I am sure it's probably a waste of time and money, but it's not the most expensive waste of time and money I've made this year.

it looks like they FUCKED UP:

Yeah that is pretty lazy.

I would have expected them to keep the source "non-public" and only provide source code upon written request to people who actually purchased the hardware (AFAIK, the GPL2 does allow for this).

Paying someone to process requests would be pointless. It doesn't gain them anything at all.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74nTzbgDGWM