PlayStation 4 player counts are being calculated through new My PS4 Life feature

My-PS4-Life-How-to-get-your-PlayStation-video-for-lifetime-gaming-stats-and-hours-played-748239.jpg

My PS4 Life is a newly released function on the PlayStation official site, which allows for players to receive a "customized" gaming video, showcasing their trophies, play time, and more. Normally, trophy data is usually calculated in percentages, denoting a specific % number of people who have obtained a trophy. My PS4 Life instead uses raw numbers, giving users a near exact number of people who have a certain trophy. This has lead to some using the available data in order to calculate worldwide player numbers for numerous games. This is notable because exact sales numbers for games in all regions on a certain platform usually are not given. Of course, these numbers aren't a true representation of sales, as free PlayStation Plus titles can inflate the player counts, the fact that games can be shared on multiple accounts, and some players may purchase games but never play them. But this could be the closest we've gotten to having a general idea of how certain games did on the PlayStation 4 platform.

If you want to check out some of the numbers, there's a website that has compiled information from thousands of these My PS4 Life videos: gamstat.com, linked in the source. Numerous games are listed on the site, with a handful of games' player data shown below. The owner of the site also provides every video he uses to calculate the numbers, allowing for others to check his work for accuracy.

• Persona 5 - Worldwide excluding Asian territories - 1,690,000 players.
  • Grand Theft Auto V - Worldwide - 51,700,000 players.
  • Minecraft - Worldwide - 25,600,000 players.
  • Rocket League - Worldwide - 22,600,000 players.
  • The Last of Us: Remastered - Worldwide - 15,900,000 players.
  • Fallout 76 - Worldwide - 407,000 players.
  • Spyro Remastered - Worldwide - 679,000 players.
  • Goat Simulator - Worldwide - 1,480,000 players.
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda - Worldwide - 2,210,000 players.
  • Detroit: Become Human - Worldwide - 2,440,000 players.
  • Resident Evil 7 - Worldwide - 5,610,000 players.
  • Red Dead Redemption II - Worldwide - 6,110,000 players.
  • Call of Duty WWII - Worldwide - 24,600,000 players.
:arrow: Source

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
51.7 million GTA V players?

Wasn't the total sales of GTA V including PC, Xbone and last gen ~90 million?

Edit: 100 million as of Nov '18.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make lol. If it had 100mil sales and half of that came from PS4, I would hardly be surprised. And then there's the above statement of multiple people using one copy. I just don't get what you're trying to prove here?

Reactions: bootmonster

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't the total sales of GTA V including PC, Xbone and last gen ~90 million?
Of course, these numbers aren't a true representation of sales, as free PlayStation Plus titles can inflate the player counts, the fact that games can be shared on multiple accounts, and some players may purchase games but never play them.
Considered the powerhouse that the PS4 is, it could easily pull that off tbh. But chances are, there's a lot of used copies or gamesharing going on for that number, too.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
it counts players, not copies sold. so a percentage of those are families playing a shared digital or physical copy or people who got a used one

Makes sense now that you say it yeh.

I know the PS4 is essentially the platform to purchase when it comes to the library and exclusives but I never expected such a number in all honesty.

Considered the powerhouse that the PS4 is, it could easily pull that off tbh. But chances are, there's a lot of used copies or gamesharing going on for that number, too.

Likely yeh.
I wonder if MS will ever publish such data tho.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember when Call of Duty took away the player count to hide the fact that the newer games suck and people preferred black ops 2 and earlier? I do

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considered the powerhouse that the PS4 is, it could easily pull that off tbh.

I wouldn't doubt ps4 has the highest % of sales of a single platform, but over half of all total? On a game that first came out on last gen, and then eventually wound up on everything but Nintendo? If it had started as a ps4 exclusive that would be one thing, but the ps4 version was well after a ton of sales were already racked up on 360, PC, etc.

D

Deleted User

Interesting to see these stats. I wasn't expecting Minecraft to be performing as strongly as it is. The game's been a juggernaut for nearly an entire decade at this point.

People also buy GTA V a few times at retail just to get the included shark card currency as it works out cheaper than buying the currency stand-alone. That's why the game still charts.

That's a solid number of hours spent in Destiny/Destiny 2, not gonna lie.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

More people would rather be a goat, than plan Fallout 76. Ouch.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Always like these... sidechannel stats things. Might have to get my hands dirty with them one day, though most of them seem to come from web APIs and I am not so hot with those.

Reactions: lampdemon

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

More people would rather be a goat, than plan Fallout 76. Ouch.
Over 1 million more people!

To be fair, though, Goat Simulator probably has fewer bugs (and that's counting the ticks on the goat).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...