Playstation 2 Slim exploits

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Gamemaster1379, Apr 10, 2009.

Apr 10, 2009
  1. Gamemaster1379
    OP

Member Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It would seem Google is not my friend. .-.; I've been doing Google searches for two days, but nothing I've come up with helps me. I've gone through countless tutorials, and unable to ask questions as the forums they're on are desolate wastelands, with no members in sight, hence leaving me to trail around in infinite loopholes and unanswered questions.

Alright, to get the point. I have a slim PS2 (unsure of what type of "model" exactly), but it's a couple years old, and I have several PS1 games that I can use for boot discs, like Spyro the Dragon. I have a USB flash device and a Gameshark v1.2. From what I understand, using the Gameshark, I can somehow transfer or execute files from my flash drive to exploit my console into installing an applicatoin called uLaunch elf in order to launch Homebrew. However, I don't know if my attempts are entirely misguided, and I'm wasting my time--and if I'm not, I would greatly appreciate somebody who could at least give me a clue as to where I should go or what I should look for to complete this.

If necessary, I have AIM (NSGamemaster1379). I'm on it most of the time.

2. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
  3. Gamemaster1379
    OP

United States
    Alright, I'm working on going through the tutorial, and I'm stuck at this point.

I used the Noobie Guide for free McBoot...and I have the files...and now I don't know how to launch the application.

EDIT: Ok, I have the Free_Mcboot.elf on my memory card...but I can't find any method to boot it using Gameshark

4. velocity37

Member velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think you can... The sksapps tutorial refers to using the Gameshark disc in addition to the Independence exploit, which only works on the older fat PS2s. Gameshark doesn't provide a way to boot ELF files.

You can have McBoot installed on your memory card for the cost of shipping and back though. There's a link to a thread in the McBoot guides page.

5. Gamemaster1379
    OP

United States
    Hmm, this guide talks about using a PS1 game as a bootdisc to Run Homebrew. Would this work or no?
    http://www.console-exploits.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7566

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    No. That relies upon the Independence Exploit which was patched and eliminated in the slim consoles.

7. Gamemaster1379
    OP

United States
    Alright, assuming that the above guide SHOULD be able to be done on PS2s, then I need help.

I compiled the Title.db file as instructed in the guide, but I'm confused at compiling the PS2 save. The download included doesn't give me system.cnf or iop.irx to use in the PS2 Save Builder. Nor does it tell me what they are or how to create/obtain them.

8. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Which part of "It won't work on a slim PS2" don't you understand? (and check the moderators on the site from which the guide is taken from.... [​IMG] )

9. Gamemaster1379
    OP

United States
    *sigh* What a pity.Hmm. Would I be wasting my time investing in a codebreaker or AR Max for the PS2 slim, or could I actually get something from using those?

10. velocity37

United States
    If you have a slim PS2 you can't use codebreaker. AR Max would work. It'd be cheaper just to ship your memory card in a bubble mailer and have McBoot installed for you.

11. Gamemaster1379
    OP

United States
    Recommendation as to who or where to send it to? Or a topic link would be nice. [​IMG]

12. velocity37

United States