Homebrew Playlists in Moonshell??

koohiisan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I see a new release of Moonshell, it always says that m3u playlists are supported. Every time I see that I try to make an m3u and try it out in Moonshell. And every time I do that it fails miserably. I always wonder why the author would list something as functional that totally isn't...so...I figure I must be doing something wrong...

I just tried two different m3u files in the February 2010 release of Moonshell and had crashes each time. Has anyone ever gotten *any* kind of playlist file to work in Moonshell? Am I doing it wrong?

Here's an example. I created an m3u listing 3 files:
song1.mp3
song2.mp3
song3.mp3

All three were in the same directory as the m3u. I got a crash screen saying something about 'out of memory' when I hit the m3u. So I tried again with this:
/music/test/song1.mp3
/music/test/song2.mp3
/music/test/song3.mp3

Again, total failure with the same issue. If this feature really does work, then I will have absolute bliss with Moonshell. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks in advance!!

AAcrazyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i could never figure it out either... i just assumed it doesnt work.
frown.gif

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have gotten it to work, all I did was use the mp3 files inside the microSD to build my playlist.

Basically, open up whatever media player you use, drag and drop the mp3 files inside your microSD (NOT hard drive) to the playlist, save the playlist, and put it into your microSD. Done.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Hachibei said:
I have gotten it to work, all I did was use the mp3 files inside the microSD to build my playlist.

Basically, open up whatever media player you use, drag and drop the mp3 files inside your microSD (NOT hard drive) to the playlist, save the playlist, and put it into your microSD. Done.

Ah! That would make sense! I'll have to try that when I get out of this BS photoshop class... *yawn*...
dry.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm a bit puzzled - WHERE are these m3u files in the Moonshell download (the Feb 2010 download should be '201002161705_moonshell210stable') ?

I've downloaded version 2.05 to 2.10 & none of them seem to have any m3u files in them
Also how are you making the playlists ?? What program are you using ??

I admit I've never tried to use playlists in Moonshell before - I usually just split them into folders & play 'all music in folder'

Hachibei said:

Basically, open up whatever media player you use, drag and drop the mp3 files inside your microSD (NOT hard drive) to the playlist, save the playlist, and put it into your microSD.
Done.
Funny I tried that with Windows media Player - it created a 'wpl' file but it still didn't work after I copied over to my MicroSD
Even tried it with Media Player Classic & got that to create a Winamp Playlist (M3u) - & that didn't work either

However I looked at the 'm3u' created by MPC - found that it created paths like 'K:\-MP3\song1.mp3' - whereas koohiisan stated he tried '/music/test/song11.mp3' (My music is in folder called '-MP3') - I Noticed the 'slashes' were the wrong way round (BTW I even removed the 'K:' in my paths since there's technically only 1 'drive' on the DS - & THAT didn't work either)

- what's the media player program you used to get it to work ??

AAcrazyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
I'm a bit puzzled - WHERE are these m3u files in the Moonshell download (the Feb 2010 download should be '201002161705_moonshell210stable') ?

I've downloaded version 2.05 to 2.10 & none of them seem to have any m3u files in them
Also how are you making the playlists ?? What program are you using ??

I admit I've never tried to use playlists in Moonshell before - I usually just split them into folders & play 'all music in folder'

Hachibei said:

Basically, open up whatever media player you use, drag and drop the mp3 files inside your microSD (NOT hard drive) to the playlist, save the playlist, and put it into your microSD.
Done.
Funny I tried that with Windows media Player - it created a 'wpl' file but it still didn't work after I copied over to my MicroSD
Even tried it with Media Player Classic & got that to create a Winamp Playlist (M3u) - & that didn't work either

However I looked at the 'm3u' created by MPC - found that it created paths like 'K:\-MP3\song1.mp3' - whereas koohiisan stated he tried '/music/test/song11.mp3' (My music is in folder called '-MP3') - I Noticed the 'slashes' were the wrong way round (BTW I even removed the 'K:' in my paths since there's technically only 1 'drive' on the DS - & THAT didn't work either)

- what's the media player program you used to get it to work ??

well ive gotten M3U playlists to work on the ipod clone (lmp-ng) on my DS... but that same playlist wont work on my moonshell (moonshell 2.09).
I custom made the playlist a while ago... so i forget how i wrote it... i'll try making one again and trying it on moonshell once more this afternoon.
I'll tell you guys how it goes!
wink.gif

I second CannonFoddr's question.... Hachibei, what media player do you use to make the playlist file work?

koohiisan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:

I used "/" instead of "\" because that is the *nix style. I noticed in the crash dump screen that it refers you to a location for the log file using a path qualified off of root "/". So I am presuming that it mounts the device as root "/". Windows/DOS uses the drive-colon-root notation ("C:\", "K:\", etc.). Since no drive letter is specified, then it can't be that style. Although in my AKAIO, it does list the memory card device with a prefix...what is it...SD://? I can't recall and can't check right now. Maybe that needs qualified.

I was hoping that moonshell would handle playlists natively...since it does advertise itself to do so. If not, I suppose the source code is available...?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc