Homebrew Playlists in Moonshell??

koohiisan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I see a new release of Moonshell, it always says that m3u playlists are supported. Every time I see that I try to make an m3u and try it out in Moonshell. And every time I do that it fails miserably. I always wonder why the author would list something as functional that totally isn't...so...I figure I must be doing something wrong...

I just tried two different m3u files in the February 2010 release of Moonshell and had crashes each time. Has anyone ever gotten *any* kind of playlist file to work in Moonshell? Am I doing it wrong?

Here's an example. I created an m3u listing 3 files:
song1.mp3
song2.mp3
song3.mp3

All three were in the same directory as the m3u. I got a crash screen saying something about 'out of memory' when I hit the m3u. So I tried again with this:
/music/test/song1.mp3
/music/test/song2.mp3
/music/test/song3.mp3

Again, total failure with the same issue. If this feature really does work, then I will have absolute bliss with Moonshell. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks in advance!!

AAcrazyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i could never figure it out either... i just assumed it doesnt work.
frown.gif

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have gotten it to work, all I did was use the mp3 files inside the microSD to build my playlist.

Basically, open up whatever media player you use, drag and drop the mp3 files inside your microSD (NOT hard drive) to the playlist, save the playlist, and put it into your microSD. Done.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Hachibei said:
I have gotten it to work, all I did was use the mp3 files inside the microSD to build my playlist.

Basically, open up whatever media player you use, drag and drop the mp3 files inside your microSD (NOT hard drive) to the playlist, save the playlist, and put it into your microSD. Done.

Ah! That would make sense! I'll have to try that when I get out of this BS photoshop class... *yawn*...
dry.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm a bit puzzled - WHERE are these m3u files in the Moonshell download (the Feb 2010 download should be '201002161705_moonshell210stable') ?

I've downloaded version 2.05 to 2.10 & none of them seem to have any m3u files in them
Also how are you making the playlists ?? What program are you using ??

I admit I've never tried to use playlists in Moonshell before - I usually just split them into folders & play 'all music in folder'

Hachibei said:

Basically, open up whatever media player you use, drag and drop the mp3 files inside your microSD (NOT hard drive) to the playlist, save the playlist, and put it into your microSD.
Done.
Funny I tried that with Windows media Player - it created a 'wpl' file but it still didn't work after I copied over to my MicroSD
Even tried it with Media Player Classic & got that to create a Winamp Playlist (M3u) - & that didn't work either

However I looked at the 'm3u' created by MPC - found that it created paths like 'K:\-MP3\song1.mp3' - whereas koohiisan stated he tried '/music/test/song11.mp3' (My music is in folder called '-MP3') - I Noticed the 'slashes' were the wrong way round (BTW I even removed the 'K:' in my paths since there's technically only 1 'drive' on the DS - & THAT didn't work either)

- what's the media player program you used to get it to work ??

AAcrazyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
I'm a bit puzzled - WHERE are these m3u files in the Moonshell download (the Feb 2010 download should be '201002161705_moonshell210stable') ?

I've downloaded version 2.05 to 2.10 & none of them seem to have any m3u files in them
Also how are you making the playlists ?? What program are you using ??

I admit I've never tried to use playlists in Moonshell before - I usually just split them into folders & play 'all music in folder'

Hachibei said:

Basically, open up whatever media player you use, drag and drop the mp3 files inside your microSD (NOT hard drive) to the playlist, save the playlist, and put it into your microSD.
Done.
Funny I tried that with Windows media Player - it created a 'wpl' file but it still didn't work after I copied over to my MicroSD
Even tried it with Media Player Classic & got that to create a Winamp Playlist (M3u) - & that didn't work either

However I looked at the 'm3u' created by MPC - found that it created paths like 'K:\-MP3\song1.mp3' - whereas koohiisan stated he tried '/music/test/song11.mp3' (My music is in folder called '-MP3') - I Noticed the 'slashes' were the wrong way round (BTW I even removed the 'K:' in my paths since there's technically only 1 'drive' on the DS - & THAT didn't work either)

- what's the media player program you used to get it to work ??

well ive gotten M3U playlists to work on the ipod clone (lmp-ng) on my DS... but that same playlist wont work on my moonshell (moonshell 2.09).
I custom made the playlist a while ago... so i forget how i wrote it... i'll try making one again and trying it on moonshell once more this afternoon.
I'll tell you guys how it goes!
wink.gif

I second CannonFoddr's question.... Hachibei, what media player do you use to make the playlist file work?

koohiisan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:

I used "/" instead of "\" because that is the *nix style. I noticed in the crash dump screen that it refers you to a location for the log file using a path qualified off of root "/". So I am presuming that it mounts the device as root "/". Windows/DOS uses the drive-colon-root notation ("C:\", "K:\", etc.). Since no drive letter is specified, then it can't be that style. Although in my AKAIO, it does list the memory card device with a prefix...what is it...SD://? I can't recall and can't check right now. Maybe that needs qualified.

I was hoping that moonshell would handle playlists natively...since it does advertise itself to do so. If not, I suppose the source code is available...?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Time to transfer files
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    "it was so hard the first time"
    +1
    Gift
    "Time to transfer files" bro having sex with robots
    +1
    Gift
    honestly knowing ken that isn't that unbelievable
    +1
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    arent many ps5 exclusives it's true, but there are a whole lot of ps4 games that got ps5 upgrades
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and those have to be stored on one of the SSDs
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    "time to smash the stack"
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Uremum does like to call me dadbot
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Nothing beats a midnight shower
    Gift
  • AkiraKurusu @ AkiraKurusu:
    I'd say there would be more PS5 exclusives...if people could actually buy PS5s.
    Gift
  • Gift
  • AkiraKurusu @ AkiraKurusu:
    I mean, if no-one can buy a PS5, and thus is stuck with PS4 (Pros), then companies would still see some profit from developing PS4 games with PS5 upgrades; meanwhile, if they developed a PS5 game, then everyone who can't get that console won't buy that game, especially at launch.
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Nah every console starts early with low libraries
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    well theyre churning them out as fast as they possibly can, not like Xbox or PC are faring much better with the chip shortages
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and games still take 4-6 years to develop regardless, so its not like sony can conjure up new exclusives out of thin air
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Makes me wonder what they have now and are actually hiding from the public
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I hope in the next 5 years they can move on to even more realistic skin renders and not just make characters look like Shiney clay molds
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm waiting for the ultimate DLC, "The Most Dangerous Game".
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Let me hunt people or GTFO :angry:
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    It's just a $1 just shoot some dogs
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I tried the chick fil a sauce Walmart has now it lives to the hype
    Gift
  • WG481 @ WG481:
    I swear you two are the only people who consistently use the chat feature