Playing WUP games on a 128gb Pen drive.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Milo5789, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Milo5789
    OP

Milo5789 Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2016
    Cote d'Ivoire
    -title-

I'm thinking on buying a big pen drive instead of the hdd. Is it recommendable? Does the WiiU supports this much storage without energy issues?

Thnx.

2. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Yes, but iirc hdds are better and faster, so consider that before you buy.

CeeDee likes this.
  3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Pen drives are generally cheaper tho, so that's another factor to consider (price/performance)

CeeDee likes this.
  4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    I've been using one myself and never had any issues.

invaderyoyo and CeeDee like this.
  5. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    no, NAND's are always more expensive than HDD's, you can get a 128GB sd/usb drive for about 30 euro but a 1 TB HDD for the same price so its about 8 times more expensive to get NAND based storage.

6. DinohScene

DinohScene DinohScene <З MartyDreamy

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I've got a 128 GB USB in me Wii U.
    Haven't got any problems with it.

It's a USB 3.0 tho.

7. Milo5789
    OP

Milo5789 Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2016
    Cote d'Ivoire
    How come?? I didn't really get your message. Why the NAND?

8. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    NAND is the most common type of flash storage that's why I was refering to it as so. I was just showing that HDDs where much cheaper than Flash based/NAND storage

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also I've been using one too lol since I got a 128GB for loadiine but have like 4 32GB ones so I just swapped out the homebrew sd with one of them and popped the 128GB sd in the usb drive with an adapter

Milo5789 likes this.
  9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You can get some pretty dang cheap legit 128 gig pen drives on Amazon (if memory serves, around $20, but I could be wrong)

10. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    That's still not cheaper, also 1 time deals don't really Count as the average price of one..

11. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I've been using a 128 gig SanDisk Ultra Fit and have had no issues. The thing's so tiny and it's only 30 bucks.

12. Lokote2134

Lokote2134 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    I been using this sandisk cruzer glide usb it's 128gb and I was able to fit alot of games maybe around 15? I don't remeber but it worked perfectly I think they go for $30 but I wanted to upgrade and just brought a $50 portable hard drive that was 1tb didn't need that much space 500gb would of been fine but a 500gb drive was the same cost as this 1tb one I got so yea might as well lol

Attached Files:

shadoom and KiiWii like this.
  13. ddurdle

ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Canada
    Pen or flash drives are not cheaper then hard drives by the GB. A 500GB hard drive must be less then $100 now (it has been at least 4-5 years since I needed to buy a traditional 2.5" hard drive, and they were about $120 at the time). A reliable 512GB is going to cost to many times more $.

Ryccardo and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  14. Lokote2134

Lokote2134 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  15. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    I would personally not recommend using a hard disk for this kind of storage, myself. Yeah, it's cheaper per-bit, but it loses out in almost every other way. Raw read and write speeds are bottlenecked by the Wii U's ageing USB ports moreso than any disk you use. And while NAND chips can be cluttered and bogged down by fragmentation, hard disks suffer far more from that issue if you somehow use your storage enough for that to become a problem.

Also, there's the power problem. Hard disks are mechanical, and guzzle power. NAND storage isn't, and doesn't. And if you have any stupid kids or pets around who love doing things specifically because they're not supposed to, hard disks are liable to get dropped. And unless you're paying through the nose for military grade, that will almost certainly ruin the thing.

That said, maybe the cheaper price point is all you're after. More power to you.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. DHall243

DHall243 I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH

Jan 12, 2016
    United States
    Do as you please, I use a 128GB USB drive for now because its what I had, Ill eventually upgrade to a HDD

17. ddurdle

ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Canada
    Every argument you have, the inverse could be easily argued and won.
    The USB ports on the wii u have better transfer rates then the SD port.
    Pets are more likely to eat a SD card then a hard disk SD cards are also susceptible to static electricity and because of their size, is easier to lose, to bend, to step on, to accidentally emerge into water, etc.
    They also have very limited lifespan, especially in terms of writing. Hard drives are designed to have poweron life span of 5 years.

18. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    I think nintendo is advising against pendrives on grounds that Wii U possibly does a lot of reads and writes during the game, every save is a write process at least, and there could be some OS indexing and stuff going on and writing software meta notes (like playtimes etc.) fairly often.

I do not know, but I know nintendo says that while USB stick might work do not use one. I have used one before, since I have 8gig Wii U (two these days but I digress) - I got a free game with my Mario Kart 8. choosing Wonderful 101 which is a 10gig game I needed something to store it, and before yanking a 320gig USB HDD out of nowhere I used a 16 gig memory stick. They work. But like said not recommended for possible write related issue.

19. ddurdle

ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Canada
    It is to protect themselves when the writes wear down the drive and you go to them seeking compensation. They can point out they advised against it.

20. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I have been using s SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit recently. It's so tiny, it's as if you extend the Wii U's internal storage space.