Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
rRPZgNV.jpg
Video games and their influence on the human psyche, especially that of children, have been a subject of heated debates since their invention. Each side has their own strong proponents but neither had any truly conclusive proof that "they're right".​
This subject pops up whenever we hear of school shootings or terrorist attacks committed by young perpetrators - it's often stressed that they "played video games". Some call that a relevant fact regarding the cases, others call it shifting blame.​
This mist of confusion might be partially dispelled by a recent study published in the British Medical Journal, a part of the UK Millennium Cohort Study... although it's only "recent" in terms of the publication date - the study itself actually began a decade ago.​
Some 11,000 children were being observed throughout the decade with their mothers periodically filling out surveys. The researchers wanted to find out if exposure to video games or television has a negative impact on their behavior and/or mood and... video games don't. It was watching TV (for over 3 hours a day) that turned out to lead to behavioral problems between the ages of four and seven... checkmate, television?​
So what does this study change? Probably not much - people won't change their minds overnight... but it's certainly a step towards proving what gaming enthusiasts have been saying for ages - that video games are a positive way of spending your spare time, and if not positive, at least they don't do any harm.​
:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh good, now we have scientific evidence we can throw at people's faces when they cry about how video games make our children murder-rage-hate filled machines.
Damn right. I was a murder-rage-hate filled machine before I even touched a computer game, said computer games just allowed me to hone my talents.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay...nice argument. Unfortunately, this issue isn't a discussion but a debate. In other words: people aren't going to change their minds over it, no matter what happens. And this study is just going to illustrate that.

pro-gamer: hey...did you hear that a study of 11'000 people didn't show any behavioral difference in playing video games?
game-hater: yeah, well...but I know for a fact that some criminals played video games at some point, so video games are STILL EVIL!!!
pro-gamer: ehm...yeah. So...what WILL take you to believe my view?
game-hater: hmm...if the full hundred percent of those 11'000 people turned out to have never committed ANY form of crime...then I MIGHT consider it. Until another maniac video gamer shows up, that is.
pro-gamer: :(

Also...I wouldn't call it checkmate on the television, as I think it's more to do with the longitude than anything else. Three hours a day in front of television is three hours they aren't spend making friends at school, kindergarten or whatever them four-to-seven'ers hang out nowadays. And it would surprise me if that study shows that that DOESN'T go for video games as well.

Reactions: _acid_

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing games for 23 years and i've only killed 4 people and done a bunch of drugs while having unprotected sex, nothing too bad. Haha not really

Video games doesn't hurt anyone with self-control, but there are some kids/teens out there that get obsessive with games and take it a bit too far reenacting them in real life. Although, kids/teens that are like that, it isn't just video games, they are that way with movies, music, tv shows etc. Personally, GTA isn't really that bad compared to some other games but who cares its called "video games" not "real life", its all just an excuse for bad parenting.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay...nice argument. Unfortunately, this issue isn't a discussion but a debate. In other words: people aren't going to change their minds over it, no matter what happens. And this study is just going to illustrate that.

pro-gamer: hey...did you hear that a study of 11'000 people didn't show any behavioral difference in playing video games?
game-hater: yeah, well...but I know for a fact that some criminals played video games at some point, so video games are STILL EVIL!!!
pro-gamer: ehm...yeah. So...what WILL take you to believe my view?
game-hater: hmm...if the full hundred percent of those 11'000 people turned out to have never committed ANY form of crime...then I MIGHT consider it. Until another maniac video gamer shows up, that is.
pro-gamer: :(

Also...I wouldn't call it checkmate on the television, as I think it's more to do with the longitude than anything else. Three hours a day in front of television is three hours they aren't spend making friends at school, kindergarten or whatever them four-to-seven'ers hang out nowadays. And it would surprise me if that study shows that that DOESN'T go for video games as well.

That's not how debates work - in a debate, you need to support your standpoint with arguments. If you don't, you lose the debate. :P

I used the phrase "Checkmate, television?" in a cheeky manner, obviously television alone isn't to blame either. ;)

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I dunno, Foxi. Ten seconds of watching The Only Way Is Essex is enough to drive even the most mentally sound person to a Postal 2 style killing spree.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I dunno, Foxi. Ten seconds of watching The Only Way Is Essex is enough to drive even the most mentally sound person to a Postal 2 style killing spree.

MTV Poland announced a new series called "Warsaw Shore".

I'd like to point something out:

SrqybsM.png

...because rivers don't have shores - they have banks.

...you know nothing about life, my friend.

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Meh, what's the point?
People will eventually see another "Kid brings a gun to school, it was a present from his father"
and go all "OMFG, Did u see diz? IT's ALL GTA I TELL YOU!!!".

I wonder how long it'll take for people to realize that if games change one's way of thinking
and influence him to "go nuts", the person is question wasn't that sane to begin with.

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean video games aren't destroying our lives?????!!!!! You mean politicians have been lying to us for years?????!!!! Well I could of told you that I have been playing video games regularly since the NES days and so far I am fine.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I dont think video games can make kid violents but when I see all these three years old playing plain odd stupid shitz on tablets I'm still kinda worried...

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I dont think video games can make kid violents but when I see all these three years old playing plain odd stupid shitz on tablets I'm still kinda worried...

It's even worse when the tablet belongs to them, they get all cocky and stuff.
For f**** sake, my first electronic gadget was a secondhand Nokia when I was 10, and it was taken from
me 1 week later because I spammed my sister all the time.
Kids these days have literally everything, a cousin of mine received a freaking iPad for his 8th anniversary.
That thing costs more than all my stuff combined, and I'm twice his age!

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Video games can bring out a little bit of rage every now and then. Example, some of the language my fiancee is using right now to express her distaste with the AI in Mass Effect fem-shep run (Kaiden keeps blocking her shots) is somewhat....colourful. But I don't think video games can turn people into psychopaths like the media would have us believe. If anything, a little escapism and tension relief is good for mental health. If someone goes on a killing spree, chances are they had much bigger issues in their lives than a scene in GTA 5 that 'scarred them for life' or whatever the latest scapegoat bullshit is.

Having said that I don't necessarily think my beloved yelling out 'Honestly, I don't know whether to fuck him or shoot him' when I'm trying to get Freya to sleep is the best thing for a life of sanity.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
It's even worse when the tablet belongs to them, they get all cocky and stuff.
For f**** sake, my first electronic gadget was a secondhand Nokia when I was 10, and it was taken from
me 1 week later because I spammed my sister all the time.

10!!!!!!! I didn't get a phone until I was 16 and I bought it myself!! Also, back then, phones were expensive and crap, 10x2 character screen (no dot matrix gfx for us), custom ringtones only if you could fit into 10 notes. not even a calculator built in, nope, had to carry an actual calculator around if I wanted to do complicated maths.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit