Playing steam games on ubuntu

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hi guys, for whatever reason suddenly my windows 7's license is revoked and I keep getting please activate windows after reinstalled my windows 7. I am thinking to migrate to windows 10 eventually, but I am wondering if I should try linux again. I have been using linux mint and ubuntu for a while and I totally love it.

I am aware that there is linux version of steam client, but not all games are available on linux. I believe we can use wine to try playing them. however, if I login to steam (on linux) will I be able to download my windows-only games and run them through wine easily? or I am only able to download and play the linux version (whenever available)? or do I need to install windows version of steam using wine?

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need two Steam installs. One to run native Linux games using the Linux Steam client, and one to run Windows games with wine and the Windows Steam client.

Reactions: eriol33

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah it is better to do a gpu passthrough than to use wine for games
GPU passthrough isn't just gonna magically make Windows games run on Linux. OP would need a Windows VM for that, which requires a license, which OP doesn't have. Did you even read the OP?

Reactions: Tumoche

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
GPU passthrough isn't just gonna magically make Windows games run on Linux. OP would need a Windows VM for that, which requires a license, which OP doesn't have. Did you even read the OP?
Yeah That's what i said
GPU passthrough with quemu + kms, and he install windows + kms on the vm
at least that's what i'm doin, exept that i have a pretty much infinite number of licenses

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah That's what i said
GPU passthrough with quemu + kms, and he install windows + kms on the vm
at least that's what i'm doin, exept that i have a pretty much infinite number of licenses
How is that any better than wine? Takes ages to start a game because Windows has to boot (and probably install updates and reboot again), wastes like 10G of disk space because Windows is 90% bloatware, and you get way worse performance because all the RAM and CPU that Windows needs to hog.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How is that any better than wine? Takes ages to start a game because Windows has to boot (and probably install updates and reboot again), wastes like 10G of disk space because Windows is 90% bloatware, and you get way worse performance because all the RAM and CPU that Windows needs to hog.
Nah passtrough is 99% native performance and 100% compatibility instead of wine
Plus you can trim out windows bloat and it boots in like a second

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill