Playing online with SKY3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by fatsquirrel, Aug 21, 2015.

1. fatsquirrel
    OP

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Hey guys,
    I havent been here for a long time...and I havent touched my n3ds for a long long time now :D
    But today I got an urge to play some online games and I was wondering, is it possible to play online with Sky3ds and 9.1.0 firmware?
    Im mainly interested in Smash Bros.

Hope someone can let me know :)

2. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Latest Smash update needs a newer NATIVE_FIRM if I recall, so your only solution is probably to set up a CFW which does that (Pasta or ReiNAND at this time), use an eShop spoofer to install the update from eShop (or install it as CIA, I guess, but game updates are probably better off legit) and either patch the .3ds with a private header or install the game as a CIA.

fatsquirrel likes this.
  3. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    Oh boy, I havent understood half of what you said. Are there any tutorials you can point me to?

4. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Let's try it with this organization.
    • You need the latest game (not system) update to play online.
    • There's a part of the system called NATIVE_FIRM which gets updated during system updates every so often. If a game can't run due to version, this may be what needs updating.
    • The latest update for Smash, required to play online, does not run on a 9.0 NATIVE_FIRM (which is used up through at least 9.2)
    • CFW can run under a newer NATIVE_FIRM in order to run games that require a newer one (though only up to 9.5 for N3DS).
    • The eShop does not change how it works much, so you can run a spoofer to make the system think it has the latest version and access it that way, thus allowing normal download of game updates.
    • Sky3DS emulates a cart, and carts have a unique piece of data called a header which is used when playing online. The Sky3DS templates inject a generic one which Nintendo has a history of banning consoles using it.
    • You can use third party tools such as Sky Army Knife to inject a private header into a game template for Sky3DS, thus reducing the risk of banning, however you have to have one to do so.
    • CIA games use a header from the console rather than the cart (as there is no cart), thus leading less banning without the need of figuring out what a private header is.
    If you want topics to search, find how to set up ReiNAND (uses EmuNAND, theoretically safer) or Pasta (more dirty, but simpler) CFWs. For eShop spoofing, look up YGW eShop Spoofer. For CIAs, you need an installer such as FBI and CIA files which you find similar to how you find .3ds ROMs (or convert them yourself, though that's a bit more advanced).

If you still need help, either check the links in there or look up the topics themselves like CIAs, private headers, etc. with a search tool.

goober and fatsquirrel like this.
  5. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    Fantastic, thank you.
    I think Im going to try with a CIA and....cant decide between ReiNand or Pasta.

6. Megaben99

Megaben99 I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    You can use a private header with Sky3DS to play any game online.

Edit: Missed that was already in the reply!

7. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    Got Pasta working after 2h of fooling around because the qr code wouldnt start ><
    Now on to trying the cia :D

Megaben99 likes this.