Playing CD's on the wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Timo710, Aug 21, 2008.

Aug 21, 2008

Playing CD's on the wii? by Timo710 at 3:04 PM (10,251 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. Timo710
    OP

Member Timo710 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    So, If I really like a CD, I go out and buy it to support the artist. However my CD player is broken, but I have this TV hooked up to this great speakers, so I figured I could play CD's through my Wii, Maybe a Mplayer lib could make it work? Its one of the basic things a console should be able to do nowadays ( even the PS1 could play cd's).

Any word on a project making this possible? I mean, a CD + MP3 CD player option for Mplayer would probably be something that would get used by a lot of people, cause there's still a lot of people out there, with only one cd player at home(like me)!

2. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    sorry the Wii can't play CDs. Its possibly the DVD in the Wii itself that do not support it.

3. Timo710
    OP

Netherlands
    Is that for sure, I mean, it couldnt read DVD movies like 2 weeks ago, maybe the DVD drive can handle it, but there is just no driver or anything pointing at the fact that it would be able to do so...

4. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    It isn't really yet proven if CDs would run.

We do know the system doesn't officially read standard CDs or DVDs, but it can be hacked to use DVDs.

5. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    It could read DVDs from launch. They are what Wii disks are pressed onto. The Wii's drive does not have the hardware to read CDs, it is purely a DVD ROM.

6. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    You know what I meant. Wii doesn't recognize discs with the DVD file system, without a soft or hard mod.

It's an issue of semantics. They aren't licensed and not called "DVD" by Nintendo, but the physical discs themselves are similar enough they'd work fine on other devices if using the DVD file system.

7. Timo710
    OP

Netherlands
    Yeah, I think its an important thing for the scene to find out wheter its able or not. I mean there's a lot of possibilities, and there's a lot of people who still have a lot of interesting CD's lying around, I myself still have a couple of CD's full of SNES, GBA and NES roms, a friend burned for me a long time ago, it would be sweet if I could just throw them in, and play them of of the cd.

8. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Maybe you could put those on a DVD? And make it like a black screen video, just sound, something simple with WMM, and use Nero to make a DVD, and use MPlayer and the DVDlib. But that's a lot of trouble for one CD.

Yeah, bushing's working on a patch to put roms for emulators on a DVD so you can play them off a DVD without a modchip. [​IMG] But yeah, only solution is to reburn them to a DVD.

9. Shaunzio

Newcomer Shaunzio Member

United States
    If you really want to play your songs then just rip the mp3's off, put em on a sd card and play them through dragon media player....should work

10. Timo710
    OP

Netherlands
    Yeah, that's something I already do, but since its a lot of trouble, and it costs you sd card space for something you already have saved on a different media... I was looking if anybody was working on getting the Wii to work with CD's and CD-Rom's.

11. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    CDROM support is more trouble than it's worth, but could be accomplished via an external DVDROM drive connected via USB.

To go to those lengths when CDs are an outdated medium seems pointless, though redirecting the main drive to an external one (provided USB 2.0 is ever enabled) would open an easy avenue for playing backups.

You're much better off compiling an entire playlist and converting your CDs/MP3s to DVD-Audio.

DVD-Audio discs are superior in quality, play in all DVD players, and offer a significant amount of space.

12. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    The Wii drive cannot and will not ever be able to support the CD format. Your computers DVD drive has the hardware for DVD and CD support. XBox and the Playstation series have DVD/CD support hardware.

The Wii has DVD ONLY hardware. Unless you replace the actual drive with a modified Wii drive that has both the DVD and CD hardware, it will never work.

No, that wont work either... and neither will that... and before you ask another question that has to do with reading CD's, no, it won't work.

As of now, your only options are these:

Non-Modded Wii's
    ----
    Online music streamer/player
    PhotoChannel

Modded Wii's (both soft and hard)
    ---
    DVD-Audio with one of the current media players
    SD Card audio with one of the current media players
    all the non-modded ways as well.

13. platty

Newcomer platty Member

United Kingdom
    As Zidane said the wii drive is not capable of playing CD's. A CD/DVD rom in your computer has extra hardware in capable of playing CD's, unfortunately the Wii drive doesn't have this extra hardware.

So you will never be able to play your Take That cd's on your wii.

14. atomiccow

Newcomer atomiccow Advanced Member

United States
    Just to add, it's not possible and (unless someone does some sweet hardware mods) will never be possible.

The laser of the Wii's disc drive is physically incapable of reading CDs.

15. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Slightly offtopic; I appreciate the technological question and don't want to jump on the "is it possible" curiousity but from a practical point of view, would you really want your Wii, TV and speakers turned on every time you just want to play a CD? [​IMG] I buy CD's too and that would drive me nuts.

16. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Dude, Just go buy a smaller speaker system for your computer, They have some great speakers now for computers, Yes, you have to purchase something, but its better than waiting for your Wii to read a CD... Which wont ever happen.

17. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    For those saying it's physically impossible, I point you to Google.

Practicality of reworking a DVDROM drive to read CDs via software is slim to none, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's possible.

18. elfsander

Member elfsander GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I want to watch BluRay discs on my Wii.. is it possible?

Same idiotic question. CD playback was never announced as a feature for the Wii. DVD playback was, but was removed later on. Leaving small traces of it for the homebrewers to discover.

19. that1dude

Newcomer that1dude Member

United States
    You're kind of right, that dvd audio can be better quality, but it's still only as high of a quality as the original source he ripped it from (and format).

And about playing cd's, I don't think the wii had any intention of being a cd player.

20. Timo710
    OP

Netherlands
    Okey, so its not possible, thats a really lame and greedy move of Nintendo.

Elfsander, don't act like a smartass, almost every dvd player takes cd's, I have never seen a dvd drive that didn't take CD's (before the Wii). Don't act like your really smart, because your just reading whats in a thread, and then acting like you already knew, and then you come up with, "they never anounced it to have CD", doesnt mean that they couldnt have put a drive in that had the hardware, just while not using it.

I come here with a question, 2 people start treating me like a baby, and one calls my question idiotic.

One thing is, a question is never idiotic, the one laughing at the dude asking the question, is the idiot, since he isn't learning anything.

Don't act like 4chan members, please, I love this place way to much to see this kind of topics get fucked up like that.

Thanks for the info though, asking the question did get me somewhere, instead of being the dude sitting in his room thinking "that wii should be playing my cd's" now just know that it isn't possible.

Thanks for the help to the people who werent acting like smart-asses, but were just answering the question!

This topic can be locked now!