Homebrew Playing CD's on the wii?

CorruptJon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Timo710 said:
Okey, so its not possible, thats a really lame and greedy move of Nintendo.

Elfsander, don't act like a smartass, almost every dvd player takes cd's, I have never seen a dvd drive that didn't take CD's (before the Wii). Don't act like your really smart, because your just reading whats in a thread, and then acting like you already knew, and then you come up with, "they never anounced it to have CD", doesnt mean that they couldnt have put a drive in that had the hardware, just while not using it.

I come here with a question, 2 people start treating me like a baby, and one calls my question idiotic.

One thing is, a question is never idiotic, the one laughing at the dude asking the question, is the idiot, since he isn't learning anything.

Don't act like 4chan members, please, I love this place way to much to see this kind of topics get fucked up like that.

Thanks for the info though, asking the question did get me somewhere, instead of being the dude sitting in his room thinking "that wii should be playing my cd's" now just know that it isn't possible.

Thanks for the help to the people who werent acting like smart-asses, but were just answering the question!

This topic can be locked now!
It's a trend around here to read what people before you said, and rephrase it to make yourself look smart. Sorry about all those idiots.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Timo710 said:
Elfsander, don't act like a smartass, almost every dvd player takes cd's, I have never seen a dvd drive that didn't take CD's (before the Wii). Don't act like your really smart, because your just reading whats in a thread, and then acting like you already knew, and then you come up with, "they never anounced it to have CD", doesnt mean that they couldnt have put a drive in that had the hardware, just while not using it.
I actually have seen DVD players that doesn't support CDs. Like ours. It simply won't read any kind of CDs. CDs are read using a different mode of the laser, the latest CD only drives actually were DVD drives but they were limited by firmware.

The Wii DVD drive firmware has software for reading DVDs, Wii DVDs and GameCube discs. All are physcally the same. CDs aren't. They are both round, hold data and can be read by a red laser. Similarities stop there. Normal DVD players support reading CDs, why? Because most people want to. The Wii isn't a normal DVD player, the Wii is a GAME CONSOLE. No Wii games will be ever put on CDs. So WHY would they add CD support? It would only make the Wii cost more. That's also the one reason why they dropped DVD Video support.

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elfsander said:
I actually have seen DVD players that doesn't support CDs. Like ours. It simply won't read any kind of CDs. CDs are read using a different mode of the laser, the latest CD only drives actually were DVD drives but they were limited by firmware.

The Wii DVD drive firmware has software for reading DVDs, Wii DVDs and GameCube discs. All are physcally the same. CDs aren't. They are both round, hold data and can be read by a red laser. Similarities stop there. Normal DVD players support reading CDs, why? Because most people want to. The Wii isn't a normal DVD player, the Wii is a GAME CONSOLE. No Wii games will be ever put on CDs. So WHY would they add CD support? It would only make the Wii cost more. That's also the one reason why they dropped DVD Video support.

I agree with you on the price part.

It doesn't run in a different "mode" of the laser. DVD lasers have a length of around 640nm (to read smaller "pieces" and thus more "pieces" per disc) and CD lasers have a length of 780nm or so. The Wii laser simply stays at 640nm.

My numbers might be off a little. You get my point.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just thought of something...Sorry if this has been said before or something, But

What if you burn mp3 files onto a DVD format disc and put it in the Wii and read it off by the MPlayer? Would that work/load your music?

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
atomiccow said:
elfsander said:

I agree with you on the price part.

It doesn't run in a different "mode" of the laser. DVD lasers have a length of around 640nm (to read smaller "pieces" and thus more "pieces" per disc) and CD lasers have a length of 780nm or so. The Wii laser simply stays at 640nm.

My numbers might be off a little. You get my point.

That's about what I meant.
wink.gif

QUOTE(Brian117 @ Aug 25 2008, 05:45 AM)
I just thought of something...Sorry if this has been said before or something, But

What if you burn mp3 files onto a DVD format disc and put it in the Wii and read it off by the MPlayer? Would that work/load your music?

If someone alters MPlayer to load mp3s off DVDs then yes. It can be done.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
There's a single red laser lens in the Wii drive.

Reading a requires an infrared laser lens.

So it will not work

ever

QUOTE said:
It's a trend around here to read what people before you said, and rephrase it to make yourself look smart. Sorry about all those idiots.
Darn, foiled again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here