1. t1op

OP t1op GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would like to play Hyrule Warriors on separate screens, similar to the Wii U version, displaying only the top half on one screen and the lower half on another.
    (*I know that the view will be wide and narrow :) But my wife and I find screen sharing distracting. We want to play together and enjoy the additional content exclusive to the switch version without screen sharing.)

Does anyone know how this could be done?
    I assume that I would need a capture card to stream to a PC, however, I do not know how I would focus on the top half on one monitor and the lower half on a second monitor.

Any ideas?

Last edited by t1op, Sep 9, 2020
  2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert

United States
    Not possible

Zidapi likes this.
  3. link42586

link42586 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I wanted hyrule warriors to be like it was on wii u with two players on switch u can't do it. Split screen coop only u can't do it with two switches i don't think and it bummed me out cause I would play on tv and my brother would play on wii u screen and we was hoping to play wifi on switch the same way just with two and u can't. The wii u had some awesome games/ideas u will probably never see nintendoland on switch. Yeah I ran into this too..it sucks.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    You could probably make that work with a capture card. With both displays connected to a PC: Open up OBS, set up the capture device, resize the preview to only the top half, right click the preview and click "Fullscreen Projector (Preview). Then open a second copy and do the same again for the bottom half. Assuming the capture device will allow 2 programs using it at the same time that is. If not, then it should also work to set the base (canvas) resolution and output resolution to both screens combined (1x height, 2x width), add the capture device twice in the same OBS window so that you can resize one of the views to the top half and place it on the left half of the preview, and the bottom on the right half of the preview, set your graphics settings to treat both monitors as a single monitor, so that when you use "Fullscreen Projector (Preview)" it spans across both screens.
    In my opinion it's kind of pointless, since it'd only fill half the screen, unless you stretch it, when you could probably get used to the split screen. A decent capture card is a pretty expensive investment just to not have to get used to that, and there is some input latency as well (although very little with OBS and an Elgato HD60 S, I was even able to play Fast RMX just fine, but I may be less sensitive to input latency than some)

battlecatsahead likes this.
  5. banjojohn

banjojohn GBAtemp Regular

Some TV's with 3D have the ability to display half the screen (top or bottom for instance) in full screen every other frame, and vice versa. My old LG 3D could do that. Worked fine, but stretched so much it's almost unbearable to watch.

6. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    I've heard about that too, but is it possible to disable the stretching? I think that would be even worse for OP than just playing normal splitscreen. And I didn't mention it since who even has a 3D TV? :P

7. banjojohn

So would still only have half the screen? - Only difference being that you couldn't see your opponent's screen?

8. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    Yeah, that's what OP wants. For some reason :P
    I suppose @t1op could always tape a blanket over the middle of the screen, have one person hide underneath the blanket so they only see their half.

9. banjojohn

Would probably be the best Solution.
    I don't remember if my tv could do that. I would guess it couldn't.

10. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

United Kingdom
  11. t1op

OP t1op GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for the ideas!
    The OBS solution is what I was imagining, though I would have to get an extensive capture card that I don't otherwise need.
    Using an HDMI splitter and covering half of each screen sounds like both an inexpensive option and would about latency. I think I'll try it!

12. pinbi7

pinbi7 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    hippy dave likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - screens, screen, split