Homebrew Play MP4 Files From USB?

chalupabatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a Wii U homebrew app that will allow you to play .mp4/.mkv files from USB? I have read several threads that discussed "future" progress on one, but I have not seen anything recent about any progress.

chalupabatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BUMP -> Do I assume this is still not possible, due to no responses and my google searches are still unfruitful?

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BUMP -> Do I assume this is still not possible, due to no responses and my google searches are still unfruitful?
I mean, why? Yes, it's possible. But why complicate it by doing it from USB, why not SD. But I'd rather create an app that will upload the MP4 to YouTube using the Wii U Video Uploader. (Check out my thread!) No one is active now cause school and work started. My school starts tomorrow.

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
You can do it from SD by dumping a game with ddd, replacing some mp4 files inside the game (you obviously need a game that has mp4 files :P) and then loading the game through Loadiine.

chalupabatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, why? Yes, it's possible. But why complicate it by doing it from USB, why not SD. But I'd rather create an app that will upload the MP4 to YouTube using the Wii U Video Uploader. (Check out my thread!) No one is active now cause school and work started. My school starts tomorrow.

I was wanting to be able to play a few .mp4 movies that I have from my wii u. My PC I had set-up for streaming with serviio the mobo died so was looking for a quick/easy alternative :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can do it from SD by dumping a game with ddd, replacing some mp4 files inside the game (you obviously need a game that has mp4 files :P) and then loading the game through Loadiine.

I am not familiar with ddd?

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
I was wanting to be able to play a few .mp4 movies that I have from my wii u. My PC I had set-up for streaming with serviio the mobo died so was looking for a quick/easy alternative :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am not familiar with ddd?
ddd is what people used to use for dumping games before the Brazilian method came out. By the way, you do know you can host mp4 files on your computer, right?

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
No - i did not know you could host on my computer. How would I do this method?
You need to turn it on in Windows. Search Google, but basically you need to go to "Turn Windows features on and off" then Internet Information Services and turn it on. Put the mp4 files in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\, then go to http://your.ip.here/filename.mp4 on your Wii U

Reactions: chalupabatman

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No - i did not know you could host on my computer. How would I do this method?
What @Jhynjhiruu said will work, but an even better idea is to install a media server with a web UI, something like Plex should work. They have stuff like a media scanner that you can add your media folders to, and a nice layout for playing your videos (with folders, sorting options, thumbnails, length, video quality etc. displayed), and they also let you play other formats than MP4 thanks to built in transcoding.
I don't know if the web browser plays .mkv out of the box so that might be the only way to play those.

Tip: If you're an Android user you might want to invest in a Chromecast, they're cheap and let you play basically any media as well as use a lot of different Chromecast apps by using your phone as a remote. I've used one and it's really easy to use, plus anyone in the house with an Android phone can enjoy it as well, the option appears automatically in any supported app. It supports iOS as well, but I think the selection of compatible apps there is more limited. I know YouTube supports it but I don't know what else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night