Platformers with co-op?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Reploid, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Reploid
    OP

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Platformer is a good genre, but its kinda forgotten nowdays. Back in my day every second game was a platfromer, and now every second game is a shooter, but that's topic for another time.
    I've tried to came up with some good co-op platformes and was able to remember only PS3's new Rayman games and Little Big Planet series along with the Pupeteer. Does anyone can recall any more? Every home console or PC titles will do (but no 8-16bit games, I know their liblalary just fine already;) ). Oh, and something not too hardcore (like battletoads) or with adjustable diffuculty, since I'm gonna play with a girl (I'm a chauvinist).
    Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the second topic. Something went wrong.

2. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    a platform/shooter with co-op comes to mind WarHammer 40,000 Kill team. it's a Smash TV styled game

3. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    The Rayman games are good and Kirby is generally fun (though insanely easy). I know a few people that enjoy the New Mario games, not interesting enough to get my money, though. The Trine series is great. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a personal favorite. These were just some off of the top of my head.

4. Wabsta

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Apr 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    SCUMM Bar
    Guacamelee is pretty good :)

5. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I didn't know it had co-op. I guess that's my fault for not kidnapping a random person to test out the multiplayer with.

6. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Battleblock Theater!

GamerzHell9137 likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    lampdemon likes this.
  8. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    of the tip of my head I can name:
    Super Mario 3D World. Wii U.
    Donkey Kong Country Return and Tropical Freeze. Wii U.
    Rayman Origins and Legends. PC, Wii, PS3, X360, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS4 and Xbone.
    New Super Mario Bros series(Wii onwards). Wii and Wii U.
    Kirby Return to Dreamland and 20th anniversary. Wii.
    Castlevania Harmony of Despair. PS3 and X360.
    Little Big Planet series. PS3, PSP, Vita and PS4.
    Ratchet & Clank All 4 One. PS3.
    Trine series. PC, PS3, X360, Wii U and PS4.

there is also the mod of Super Mario 64 to play coop and there was one on the works for Super Mario Galaxy some time ago, don't know if it's finished or not.

9. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Nov 6, 2002
  10. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Another 8bit wannabe platformer.. sigh. Indie devs should be aiming for higher because at some point people are not going to give a shit about it any more and it's already tiresome that they always use the same idea for their indie games.

Sakitoshi's covered you pretty much.

11. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Nov 6, 2002
    WiiCube_2013 Obviously, you aren't the target audience, but Shovel Knight and Mighty No. 9 ensures that people who like 2d platformers do still exist and there's many of us who enjoy these kind of games.
    This game is not the only game which is in development in the whole world by indie game developers. If you actually take your time and have a look around, there's plenty of unique and innovative games being developed by indie game developers which might appeal to you.

12. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

pls.

At least Shovel Knight came out and got good reviews. MN9 is a scam to see how far they can push Kickstarter. When you need additional Kickstarter money to both add a voice track (something that should've been met with the stretch goals, which were all reached and plus some) and to develop it as a franchise (which you shouldn't fucking do when nothing is even made), then you know you've been dumping your shekels on a false god.

Anyway, there's NSMB Wii or U, Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze, Battleblock Theater, and everything else listed so far.

Gahars and Sakitoshi like this.
  13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Castle crashers (very similar to battleblock theater, as far as I can tell)
    Monaco: what's yours is mine (4 player co-op in isometric perspective)
    Torchlight & diablo series. Okay, they're dungeon crawlers. But still sort of platformer-ish.
    EDIT: okay, so apparently I classify things too quickly as a platformer. Sorry about that.

And since you're playing it with a girl: Kirby Epic yarn. It may be gender defining, but really...every girl I've played this game with wanted to keep playing. The fact that it's so easy it's ridiculous (you cannot die even if you wanted to) means it's an ideal "let's try this" if you're playing with someone who doesn't even know what "platforming" means.

14. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Do you not understand what a platformer is? None of those are even remotely close to being one.

TecXero likes this.
  15. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    i have not played these type of games in ages...

16. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Dust: An Elysian Tale, if you're the lonely sort that would pretend Fidget is your waifu in real laifu.

17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Castle crashers certainly is one. The others are debatable, but I did mention their isometric perspective, so I'll leave that to others to decide.

18. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    It's a beat 'em up.

19. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Castle Crashers : Sidescrolling Beat'm Up.
    Diablo 3 : Dungeon Crawler. Not even close to platformer. It's like me saying Call of Duty is a platformer because you can jump.

20. Reploid
    OP

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Ah, good old SO. Anyway thanks for the answers. New Kirby games and Trine looks like a perfect shot.