All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Are there any platformers for the Nintendo DS that are in any way different from the norm, like the Drawn to Life series or Monster Tale? I would really like to have something else to play to take away the monotony of the Devil Survivor games while I wait for the Adventure Time game.

• Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure - A good suggestion, but having that game is kind of a given when you want some good games with weird concepts.
  • All Castlevania DS Games - Not really a good suggestion, as there are so many games in this series that the gameplay of Castlevania is no more different from the norm than Mario!
  • Alice in Wonderland - A very interesting suggestion, though I've already bought this game and have it sitting on my games shelf right now.
  • Go! Go! Cosmo Cops! - Now THIS looks REALLY fun and interesting! I've never seen a game like this before except Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber, and even that was played differently from this.
I had to actually look up a list of platformers to do this list.
  • Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  • Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Giana Sisters DS
  • Wario: Master of Disguise
  • Aliens: Infestation
  • Monster Tale
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Kirby: Canvas Curse
  • Kirby: Mass Attack
  • Kirby: Squeak Squad
  • Yoshi's Island DS
  • Super Princess Peach
  • Sonic Rush
  • Sonic Colors
  • Mega Man Zero Collection
  • The Legendary Starfy
  • Drawn to Life
  • Yoshi Touch and Go
  • N+
  • Contra 4
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
  • Rayman DS
  • Pac'n Roll
  • Death Jr. and the Science Fair of Doom
  • The Simpsons Game
  • The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
  • The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
  • The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
  • Rainbow Islands Revolution
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • Bubble Bobble Double Shot
  • Ivy the Kiwi?
  • Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The Castlevania games for the DS, they are platformers with a mix of open-world and rpg elements.
But that's not different! That's actually stereotypical nowadays because there are so many Castlevania games!

I...kind of already knew about this one.

Alice in Wonderland is kinda different.
Yeah, but I already have that game in physical form, thanks to a Gamestop card I procured from winning some local contest.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Castlevania games for the DS, they are platformers with a mix of open-world and rpg elements.
But that's not different! That's actually stereotypical nowadays because there are so many Castlevania games!.
That doesn't mean their not different, when I think stereotypical, I think Mario and Sonic.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It would be helpful if you state in the OP what platformers you have played instead of whining you've played them
....That's kind of hard to say when you've played so many games that it's hard to remember many games in a specific genre.

But that's not different! That's actually stereotypical nowadays because there are so many Castlevania games!.
That doesn't mean their not different, when I think stereotypical, I think Mario and Sonic.
But they are pretty much a staple of the genre, though.

Go! Go! Cosmo Cops??
Oh my gosh, I almost skipped over this because it sounded like some 5 year old's stupid game based on a cartoon I didn't know about.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Really? I love Metroidvania styled games and still can't find that many of them, not as many as traditional platformers. Still you asked for something different, Metroidvania are still different from traditional platformers, ergo it's a different platformer. ^_^

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Really? I love Metroidvania styled games and still can't find that many of them, not as many as traditional platformers. Still you asked for something different, Metroidvania are still different from traditional platformers, ergo it's a different platformer. ^_^
I must have a different way of thinking about it, because I still can't see how anything similar to Metroid or Castlevania is different.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must have a different way of thinking about it, because I still can't see how anything similar to Metroid or Castlevania is different.
It's true that Metroid and Castlevania are both pretty mainstream, staple series, but surprisingly, few games that I know of duplicate their style. The newer Mega Man series (Zero and ZX) sort of mix classic Mega Man gameplay with a Metroidvania style, but other than that, it's hard to find specific games that duplicate that particular formula.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
it's hard to find specific games that duplicate that particular formula.
Mega Man series, Monster Tale, Castlevania, Metroid, possibly Maple Story DS, Soul of Darkness (which is DSiware), Aliens: Infestation, Shantae: Risky Business (DSiware again), Spider Man: Shattered Dimensions, Daniel X: The Ultimate Power, Spider Man: Web of Shadows, Wario: Master of Disguise, Scurge: Hive, Cave Story (DSiware).

Not hard at all.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the list, will try them out soon.
Against all sanity and better judgement, if you like the Daniel X series of books then Daniel X: The Ultimate Power will be a fun little platformer. Not GREAT, per se, but it's very good for what information about the world(s) and the characters that's available.

Oh wait that wasn't a recommendations list...that was a list to prove it's easy to find Metroidvania-style platformers.

TeddyPain

Trophies
Waving to black people in the hood in my car.
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the list, will try them out soon.
Against all sanity and better judgement, if you like the Daniel X series of books then Daniel X: The Ultimate Power will be a fun little platformer. Not GREAT, per se, but it's very good for what information about the world(s) and the characters that's available.

Oh wait that wasn't a recommendations list...that was a list to prove it's easy to find Metroidvania-style platformers.
Well I saw tons of platformers I've never heard of, so thanks B-) .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.